Educate Me On Door Lock Actuators (without the CTM)

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I think the switch on the actuator is for the features you find on other cars. Hold the key down and all doors lock. Unlock with key and hold unlocks all. Probably would do windows up/down too. Not something I wanted to wire up. Hand crank windows.
I had enough trouble trying to source a signal for the dash switch lights. I finally gave up and they only flash when the actuators do for a half second.
I had no wiring to the doors for locks.
When I first mounted the 'other' type of actuators, I had to cut out some plastic in the locks to get the mechanism in. That bit of plastic was the switch holder, so I've had no way to attempt any trickery there. Then, I burned out those by triggering them too long.
My first attempt was a big mistake all round.

One other note. The cheap controller remotes wear out eventually. I purchased a whole new controller to get new remotes. Now, I use a cloning remote and keep the original safe at home. I have replaced the cloning remote about every three years.

99sport

I reread your initial post and I think I misunderstood your question / issue. I agree that the microswith should not have anything to do with the lock status.

I did the central timer mod - so I have direct access to the relays that drive the lock actuators. I also have factory door locks, so I can let the CTM use it's logic to actuate the doors and compare the differences.

I had expected to post that everything works properly when powering the lock actuators directly, but that isn't quite what I found when I just tested them:

If I lock all the doors (which happens automatically if ANY door is locked thanks to the CTM) and then:
manually (by hand) unlock the drivers door, I can use my CTM mod do power the relay: if I hit unlock the 3 other doors unlock (as expected) and if I hit lock the drivers door locks (as expected) - these are exactly what you would expect (everything works how you would expect with drivers door "out of sync" from other doors).

However, if I manually unlock the passengers door: then if I hit the unlock signal to the relay, the 3 other doors unlock (as expected) but if I hit lock nothing happens. However, if I use the factory button that interfaces to the CTM, it will lock the passenger door without issue. (ie LOCK does NOT work with passenger door "out of sync" from other doors, but UNLOCK does)

I've also notice that if I have two doors open (I don't remember if it is a certain combination) my LOCK bypass doesn't work.

Bottom line, I've never investigated why, but sometimes I am unable to get the actuators to lock when using a simple relay. UNlock ALWAYS works with the CTM bypass directly to the relay. The CTM has no problem locking the doors regardless of the combination of lock / unlock status - when the ignition is started every door (that is closed) gets locked no matter the status of the other doors.

I am not sure what causes this unexpected behavior, but perhaps my driver actuator (but not the passenger one) has the same difficulty yours has? My passenger door lock used to refuse to unlock under any circumstances and I suspected a bad actuator, however after taking the latch mechanism apart and cleaning it, it works great now. Do you have the actuators installed in the latch? Have you tried cleaning the latch with carb cleaner and relubricating it? I never would have believed a simple cleaning and lube would fix my lock problems, but it did.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just as a data point: on my factory-built T1N with electric locks i can use the key to unlock either front door, and all it takes to re-lock is a single push of the fob's button.
No unlock/lock cycle needed.

(it's how i normally use my front doors, since i'm not willing to twist my key hard enough to *lock* with the key.)
Likewise opening the door with the inner handle only requires a single Lock push on any applicable button to lock the door(s).

--dick

tgross

ChaseTheBlues: Did you get this completely working in the end? Can you share any pictures of your wiring and the relays? I am attempting to do the same thing. Much appreciated.
-Tim.

Top Bottom