Certificate expired

sparkplug

I know it's not a biggie, but I just got a message warning me that the certificate for this site has expired.

Not really sure who to alert, so I'm hoping a post on here will find it's way to the right place!

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
The certificate currently presented by the site for TLS encryption was only valid from Feb 15 2019 to May 16, 2019; in my experience this is an abnormally short time for a TLS encryption certificate on a low-risk site. Short certificate lifetimes like this mean more administrative work renewing the certificate over the course of a year or five years.

Hopefully an administrator will be appraised of the situation so the certificate can be updated. The major downside of having to "click through" a warning about an expired certificate on a low-risk site is that it tends to encourage bad habits that eventually lead to someone clicking through a warning with serious consequences.

Many thanks to whoever performs the mostly thankless task of site/server administration...

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
There are no longer any "low risk" sites. Sophisticated attackers these days know very well how to exploit them. For example, it is not hard for a bot to scan for sites with expired certificates (at any given time there are many), and spoof the trusting user into ill-advised click-throughs, thinking they are just telling their OS to chill out.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The certificate currently presented by the site for TLS encryption was only valid from Feb 15 2019 to May 16, 2019; in my experience this is an abnormally short time for a TLS encryption certificate on a low-risk site. Short certificate lifetimes like this mean more administrative work renewing the certificate over the course of a year or five years.

Let's Encrypt is the CA (Certificate Authority) and it's free, however, it's only for three months. Nearing the end of the three months, a script auto-renews the certificate. This time around the auto-renew script didn't push it through (for some reason).

I have no control over the autoscript or how it is programmed, otherwise, I would've looked into what the hiccup was.

Top Bottom