Sprinter replacement key problems... T1N

ObiWanJak

GS Hauler
All,
I bought a used Sprinter that only came with one key, so off to the Dodge dealer to get a new one. I tried to order a "flat" key i.e. the key without the auto lock/unlock transmitter. They ended up only ordering the flat blade replacement for the tranmitter fob. It will unlock my doors, but not start the engine (start error appears on instrument screen). The Dodge guys couldn't explain it; I assume this is because the replacement blade doesn't have the "chip" coded to my vehicle. Is there a Mercedes flat key that I can order and have keyed/coded to my van? Or do I have to order the tranmitter fob ($300!!!!)? Any ideas appreciated.
Loren

wtm1038

Re: Sprinter replacement key problems...

I lost one of my 2 keys and wanted backup. It took me a while, but it happened. Here is the post that I made to the Yahoo sprinter group a while back....good luck:

"In September I posted a query on the subject and got help from several
members (thanks folks!) and now that I've sorted things out, I thought
I would add to the information bank.

Trying to find a locksmith in my area that understood what I needed
was a bit difficult until Ray's Mobile Locksmith in Oregon (503 481
4830) informed me that the locksmith needs to have an RW2 cloner with
recent updates and of course the proper key blank (someone I think has
posted the model of the blank).

Armed with that, my phone calls quickly lead me to John at A-1 Lock
and Safe here in Boise (208 377 4500). He fixed me up with a key and
programmed the chip to properly function for a fee of $65. This is a
straight key and not a remote key entry type."

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom

We had two of the remote/key things and one vanished. We got a new key from the dealer... just the key with the chip and not the snapout mechanism. It was around $65, as has been said. There's a form to order the key. I posted the order form as an attachment in the pre-2007 BODY category with the heading "Key Order Form".

Last edited:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02

All,
.... The Dodge guys couldn't explain it...
Loren

This does not surprise me:rolleyes: .

I've gotten a pair of plain old flat blanks, one I keep in my wallet and they work fine. Immobilizer was not available in the US when I got my van so I'm sure that is why
If anyone need just a std flat blank, pm me I'll put you in touch with a local guy here who has them(after I hounded him!)

Guard the fobs with our life, they are expensive!!

Loren, what year is your van?

ObiWanJak

GS Hauler

It's an '05... thanks for all the info. I told the parts guy about the right key, but he was still very skeptical. I think we're right, so he's going to order the correct part. I'll let you know...

Loren

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom

There's no question about it, the top part number on the form is for a key that does everything except the remote capability. It takes up a lot less room in your pocket (or purse) and is a lot harder to lose.

RobG

I've got a question for those of you who successfully got a "flat key" programmed... How do you lock the vehicle when exiting? I have a key fob with inop electronics (it will start the vehicle but will not operate the door locks). The only way I have found to lock the vehicle is to exit through the sliding door--and manually lock that door. If I try to exit from any other door, when I close that door, all of the doors do an auto-unlock (to keep me from locking my key in the vehicle?).

A.Hayes

The quick answer is easy, and you don't need another key. When you get out of the driver's side door, and it locks and unlocks, try to lock it again. It will lock, unlock, and lock again. What is happening is that your van thinks one of the doors is open- probably the slider. Try cleaning the contacts on the door and jamb. Perhaps they are barely dirty, and closing the door just before hand jars things enough to work (or maybe there is a bad connection inside the door) when locked there.

Also, the remote key fob takes two flat batteries, so try changing those if you haven't. Instructions are in the owners manual or maybe could be found in a search of the forum.
I have a key fob that doesn't work remotely despite a battery change but does everything else (including lock the van from the driver's door).

Good luck.

RB7

Went to A-Abbott Locksmith in Orange Ca. For $39.95 each he made me 3 keys for my 2006 Sprinter. I was down to my last flip/power door lock key.

His key is not a flip key but starts the car and will manually lock and unlock the van. I plan to keep using my flip key for daily usage but now I've got some emergency keys and a key for my wife who rarely ever drives the Sprinter. For me it was a whole lot less painful than paying the dealer $200-$300 for a new flip key.

If I should lose my lone flip key will I be in bad shape to get another flip key? Will it be harder to get a duplicate with it missing than if I hadn't lost it?

LoveToSprint

A-Abbott in Orange, I live in huntington beach and will give them a try. Thank you.. On more question, if the keys were stolen, the duplicating them still allows the thieves to use the old keys...that opens up a lot of trouble...cause now the ignition lock need changing too...ouch...I will talk to A-Abbott about my options...my keys were stolen, i.e. robbed from me and they now where I park my sprinter and live.....I fear one day it will be gone.

captainhoek

Question.. How do I know if I have the "Immobilizer". I just got a 2006 - did get my "build DataCodes". and cant figure out what keys to order.... The only key I got is a flip-out 2 button FOB. the only thing I can find related is: FY6 CENTRAL LOCKING WITH RADIO REMOTE CONTROL NAFTA. trying to find out what key/fobs to order...

Question.. How do I know if I have the "Immobilizer". I just got a 2006 - did get my "build DataCodes". and cant figure out what keys to order.... The only key I got is a flip-out 2 button FOB. the only thing I can find related is: FY6 CENTRAL LOCKING WITH RADIO REMOTE CONTROL NAFTA. trying to find out what key/fobs to order...
All (NAFTA) Sprinters have the SKREEM security key recognition system. The FY6 refers to your pushbutton remote lock operator key Fob.

The SKREEM "immobilizer" section of your key can be cloned by a locksmith having the correct equipment. I believe that the remote locking fob needs programming by a dealership.

Here's some info about the SKREEM.

Attachments

Last edited:

tigernassau

great - flat key sounds like exactly what I want - remote keeps getting pressed in my pocket and always afraid it's going to unlock the van when I'm in a store. I'm not that lazy that I have to press a button instead of turning a key - but wish the key would lock all doors at once like my old Toyota.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com

The Fob has two main functions:
1. House the remote lock and unlocking function
2. House the SKREEM chip that allows the van to start. Without it, you can have the right key and it will turn in the ignition, but the van won't start, no matter what you do.
See that ring on p93 that Vic posted? Once the chip that's located in that key fob is next to the ring, the van can be started (with the right key, of course). No giant fob necessary to start the van, but you will have to lock the van one door at a time without it. My fob hasn't worked since day one, even after working many hours on it and searching the forum for info.
... so I got rid of it...

Last edited:

bruceiam

hi all. Is there any way to bypass the SKREEM system ? I have a van that was purchased from an auction without a key, I took out the lock cylinder and made a new key without a chip. Went to start it and "start error" pops up on the dash. I did find a broken off key in the can, just the black end with the chip in it, held it next to my new key and still no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.

lindenengineering

hi all. Is there any way to bypass the SKREEM system ? I have a van that was purchased from an auction without a key, I took out the lock cylinder and made a new key without a chip. Went to start it and "start error" pops up on the dash. I did find a broken off key in the can, just the black end with the chip in it, held it next to my new key and still no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bruce
Without going into great details and cost the best thing you can do is rehash what you have.

SOS diagnostics in Oregon is your start point.
Shoot Chad an email "tech@sosdiagnostics.com"
I have faced this issue several times this year with customers turning up with "Tinies" no keys, duff Skreem modules , and burned out PCM modules. I have sent them whatever was needed to make it all jive first time!
Expect to pay about $550 up for a set of keys maybe a new skreem module and the lot all synched!
You will need to pull the PCM, Skreem module and whatever keys you have to get the ball rolling or in this case the rolling code rollin'! Excuse the pun!
Hope this might help
Dennis

bruceiam

Bruce
Without going into great details and cost the best thing you can do is rehash what you have.

SOS diagnostics in Oregon is your start point.
Shoot Chad an email "tech@sosdiagnostics.com"
I have faced this issue several times this year with customers turning up with "Tinies" no keys, duff Skreem modules , and burned out PCM modules. I have sent them whatever was needed to make it all jive first time!
Expect to pay about $550 up for a set of keys maybe a new skreem module and the lot all synched!
You will need to pull the PCM, Skreem module and whatever keys you have to get the ball rolling or in this case the rolling code rollin'! Excuse the pun!
Hope this might help
Dennis
Thanks for the info Dennis.

Locksmithy

Eeproms, Transponders etc

This does not surprise me:rolleyes: .

I've gotten a pair of plain old flat blanks, one I keep in my wallet and they work fine. Immobilizer was not available in the US when I got my van so I'm sure that is why
If anyone need just a std flat blank, pm me I'll put you in touch with a local guy here who has them(after I hounded him!)

Guard the fobs with our life, they are expensive!!

Loren, what year is your van?

We never encoutnered one without the immobilizer. If that is the case, the vehicle takes a 19980s Mercedes car key. Metal key blank by ILCO is an MB17. Virtually any real locksmith will have these.

Beware the fake locksmith finder that pops up on many forum sites... not sure if that is google, or the scammers paying to be embedded. find a real guy at www.findalocksmith.com

Ciao

Top Bottom