Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 09-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #21
Klipstr
2018 Wonder FTB

Default Re: Now it is real

TManSTL,

Very nice install!

What did you use for electronics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TManSTL View Post
Hey 2yrs2go, I think you made a good choice removing the GoPower solar panels from your order. I did the same on my 2018 FX. After reading the issues people were having with these panels, I decided the GoPower panels weren't for me. I primarily boondock and rely heavily on my six 100-watt Renogy Eclipse panels to keep my 400Ah of Battle Born lithium batteries charged. I just couldn't afford to take a chance on quality.

Solar panels operate more efficiently the cooler they are. Having convective airflow under the panels helps keep them cool and operating more efficiently. As you can see in the first image attachment, my panels are installed about two inches off the roof to help with cooling. I imagine that the GoPower solar panels are going to suffer from being installed directly to the surface of a roof with no airflow under them.

By the way, in case you were wondering, the panels and weBoost antenna you see in the first image attachment were all installed without drilling a single hole in the roof. The only hole in the roof was the one drilled below the solar combiner box (second attached image). The hole leads into the entertainment cabinet (third attached image) where the wiring enters the coach. The panels and antenna were attached with 3M VHB tape...a truly amazing product! I custom made aluminum "T" brackets for the solar panels so that each solar panel would have a total of 48 square inches of surface area to which the VHB was attached. This gave me peace of mind that there was enough "holding power" for each panel. Just in case, I added Dicor self leveling lap sealant around the brackets to keep water from interfering with the VHB adhesion to the roof. So far, the panel brackets haven't moved a millimeter. I fear ever having to remove them from the roof!

Rio Verde and Show Low AZ
2018 Wonder FTB

https://cuernoverdesolar.wordpress.com/
Klipstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #22
TManSTL
2018 LTV Unity FX

Default Re: Now it is real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipstr View Post
TManSTL,

Very nice install!

What did you use for electronics?
Thanks Klipstr! Here are the important components that were either added or replaced in my electrical system swap-out:

- Renogy Eclipse - 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panels (6)
- Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 Solar Charge Controller
- Victron Battery Monitor BMV-712 Smart
- Victron Color Control GX Monitor
- Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 Inverter/Charger
- Precision Circuits LiFePO4 Battery Isolation Manager
- EasyStart Soft Starter for A/C (for A/C on battery)
- Battleborn BBGC2 100Ah 12V GC2 LiFePO4 Battery (4)

All electrical components in the coach now run through the Victron Multiplus inverter including all outlets. The entire system including all new cables and accessories set me back about $10,000...not too bad. The install was done by myself so there were no labor costs other than a few band-aids.
TManSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TManSTL For This Useful Post:
2yrs2go (09-30-2018)