Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
SubForums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #491
Buckskinner
2002,158", 2500, 355k

Default Re: Introduce yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver View Post
Hey Buckskinner, as you noted there's plenty good going on here. What are your plans for the '02?

BTW, I've got a son and daughter-in-law in C'ville. Nice place.
Yo Sliver, thanks for the welcome...c'ville is a town with a lot going on, though I'm more of a country boy by choice and will soon get a place in the hills. Not sure about the sprinter, has some challenges, though the motor is solid...the complexities of analysis hold me back, quite a learning curve, and I have a strong preference for simplicity. ThAt being said, I love the design and drivability of this van, so very useful. Many hours reading here, It is the contributions of the fine people on this forum that keep me enrolled in the possibility of a sprinter.
Would like to travel with the sprinter, have children and grand kids in Louisiana, friends all over the country. I have enjoyed travel in different vehicles like an old 1965 Clark Cortez four speed front wheel drive slant six industrial engine and still have an Iveco box truck with a fiat diesel four speed, and I love the old Mercedes diesels.
What about yourself? If you come to c'ville let's have coffee and compare vans...lolol.
Thanks, David
Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #492
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskinner View Post

I have enjoyed travel in different vehicles like an old 1965 Clark Cortez four speed front wheel drive slant six industrial engine

.... Welcome, David. The Clark Cortez, eh? Wanted one for quite a while. Am missing my good ole' slant6 powered Dodge pickup, sold shortly before acquiring my Sprinter. Am missing working on her engine... adjusting valve lashes, replacing starters & alternators & all. Would have loved to have found a Clark Cortez before the Sprinter actually, though no decent ones were to be found then. Have also driven several types of Clark transport vans while serving in the US Air Force back in the mid-70s. Good vans & RVs, in my estimation.

.... Careful though with your invites for a cup or two of good joe while comparing notes, man. Some here will take you up on it. All the best to you & yours.

Last edited by boxcar; 03-25-2013 at 06:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Buckskinner (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #493
brassarl
2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall

[QUOTE=Lenny48;233907] [QUOTE= 'snip' Today you would never even know I was sick. All my test have been coming back clean. We did really well on averaging 16-18 mpg on diesel. We met some really awesome people and are planning another trip but this time we are heading up the east coast towards Nova Scotia and New Foundland. I am new to the forum and I try to do most of the maintenance or as much as I can. So.... this site will be great for me. On our trip we met so many people telling us what a great site this would be to get useful information. I look forward to sharing my knowledge or mistakes I have made along my way and look forward to learning from others.[/QUOTE]

Lenny, I'll look forward to seeing you in Newfoundland! In early July I am attending a conference in Vancouver, BC and from there going via Hwy 1 across to Newfoundland. Will spend a month there then down to the other Maritime Provinces for several weeks and towards Florida.

Sounds like your trip should have been covered by medical insurance since it healed you.

Lou
brassarl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brassarl For This Useful Post:
Buckskinner (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #494
sam1am

Hello I'm Sam. Started my search for a converted sprinter nationwide and then found one a few hours away in St. George Utah. It's a 2003 long wheelbase (forget the measurement) with the taller roof - 177k miles. DIY conversion with fold out bed, captain's chair, refrigerator, microwave, 100-watt solar system, television/dish, toilet and shower stall, sink, fresh/grey/blackwater tanks, etc. It was just too great of a buy to pass up and all the hard work is already done! I'm sure if I looked around here enough I could probably find the guy who converted it originally.

Other than RSN and some other normal wear and tear for a 10 year old vehicle it seems pretty perfect. I am taking up anchors here in Salt Lake City and getting ready to head out on the road solo for a year or two. Between money saved up and some web development/marketing consulting gigs I should be sailing soon! (p.s. if you need any web work...)

I think that's about it. See you guys on the road!
sam1am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sam1am For This Useful Post:
Buckskinner (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #495
Buckskinner
2002,158", 2500, 355k

YO BOXCAR,
the Clark Cortez was a fine vehicle, got 17mpg after a head job and split fire plugs, that puppy weighed 9k...towed a trailer loaded with seashells thru a blizzard in early 90's, hopping downed trees as I couldn't turn around...lost on country roads lolol, fwd pulled like a tractor at very low rpms...that motor would chug so slow you could count the cylinders firing.
the difference between a 225 slant six and the industrial 225 is amazing though the motors look the same, internally different pistons, crank and bearings with special valves with rotators, mine had a carter sidedraft carb... i'm still thinking about finding an industrial six to put in a dodge pickup with a four or five speed.
Coffee is good, Bustelo in a French press...anytime. Thanks David
boxcar (03-26-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #496
wooffi

Hi folks,

I have been scanning all post about starting troubles for about two weeks now. Luckily I did not need my sprinter urgently back until the spring planting season starts.

But next week I will need it.

So, I did have the all familiar starting trouble, when temps where still in the 30's here in TN. I wrote this of to bad glow plugs. I don't have any fancy diagnostic plug in device. But I know since I had this 2003, 2500 Sprinter that some of the glow plugs where in trouble.

Had my shade tree mechanic take a look at it, but after a week with these (very nice) guys they where nowhere. They got one glow plug out but had no luck with the others. So I took matters back into my own hands. They got it started with help of some engine cleaning fluid. Which after reading
the http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...ferrerid=11012 posts scared the hell out of me.

Also on my way home the 'Check Engine' light was on and never went off.

I than ordered a Hengst fuel filter, did everything by the book primed it and it started on a 50 degree day after a few tries, but it started only 3-4 times than it quit again. I got it started one last time and looked at the clear fuel delivery line and it showed white foam all the way when running. So I found thanks to you all post http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...Baldwin+BF7756.

What a blessing my Hengst filter was sucking in air, most likely at the water sensor at the bottom. So I found the Baldwin Mercedes filter without the sensor and the water drain. Had it shipped overnight, things needed to be finished this weekend.

I put it in this morning, the truck started right away, there where still a few air bubbles every two or three seconds but they soon disappeared.
The check engine light was still on, so I reset the system by taking the negative battery pole off but no luck.

Than I remembered that my mechanic had told me they did something to the sensor above the air filter, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, started, check engine light was gone…

Thanks all of you for the very helpful posts especially about using ether and getting the european fuel filter.

Wolfgang

Last edited by wooffi; 03-31-2013 at 12:43 AM.
wooffi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooffi For This Useful Post:
Buckskinner (03-31-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #497
ptatters

Hi folks!

I've lurked occasionally in the past few months, but now seemed like a good time to sign up.

I picked up a new-to-me 2007 Sprinter passenger van (144" high-roof with roof AC) last week with the intent of modifying it for travel. It used to be a 10-passenger vehicle, but for insurance purposes I had to reduce it to five. I sold off a three-seat row, kept the other two rows but left only the two-seat row installed - I'll swap it out for the three seat row if the need arises (but Lord, it's heavy!). So far all I've done is change the radio, and plan for a reverse camera, with GPS nav in the works whenever I decide between a nuvi or a dezl Garmin unit. Any other mods - with minimal body-piercing ;-) - will have to wait while I mull over the possibilities. I know I want AC power to run computers and telescopes (I'm an amateur astronomer), but since I don't expect to be boondocking I'm not sure what else I'll need (or can squeeze in).

Peter
Newbie in Toronto
ptatters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ptatters For This Useful Post:
Buckskinner (05-03-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #498
sliver

ptatters, your Sprinter sounds a lot like ours. We purchased an '08 144" WB hi-roof passenger model (with factory roof A/C) a couple months ago. I also started by upgrading the radio (kept the Sound 5 but added an amp and replaced speakers) and adding a rearview camera.

Interesting to hear how you're planning to use your Sprinter. Astronomy - that sounds like a great reason to travel and have fun too.
sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sliver For This Useful Post:
Buckskinner (05-03-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #499
ptatters

I had an ... interesting ... time upgrading audio - we couldn't get the steering wheel buttons to work. We tried all kinds of combinations for the wiring harness, and spent a while with customer support. Ultimately it turned out to be a setting in the radio which is on by default, but was off in my radio. Maybe I fiddled with it.... All is well now, except the telephone buttons control the audio source instead of the telephone, which is still useful.

For the scope, I have to put in a bed which is high enough to allow storing the scope and mount underneath, along with house batteries and more usual odds an' ends. Lots of design activity, but so far not much actual construction.
ptatters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ptatters For This Useful Post:
Buckskinner (05-03-2013), sliver (05-10-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #500
Wvoed

Hello Fellow Sprinter_Sorcerers ;)

Been with an 05 140 2500 Sprinter for a few years now, and have found this forum to be an amazing resource. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been running mine on wvo, along with biodiesel. Being interested and able to work on the van myself, and finding it difficult to find mechanics besides the dealerships, I'm searching through these conversations here quite often. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Last edited by Wvoed; 05-01-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Wvoed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wvoed For This Useful Post:
Buckskinner (05-03-2013)