170 Extended Body Pop Top?

Brad75

2013 NCV3
i have a 2013 170 extended body and im kicking around the idea of adding a pop top tent. Were planning another road trip and this time the wife wants more comfort so i figure i put the bed up top and then add a large shower and expand the kitchen with the extra room inside the van. has anybody seen a pop top on a 170 before?

Edit to add: by "pop top" I mean the type where you cut a hole in the top of the van not the suitcase style that attaches to a roof rack.

Last edited:

sparkplug

I've never seen one in person, but people have done it before.

Here's one which would allow a skylight / small roof rack / small solar panel on the back end of the roof

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Sprinter roof has about 22" between supporting beams, so that is opening you can cut without worry about redoing whole structure.
Also how many windows you have? Metal panels add to body rigidity, while bus models might become touchy with windows all around.
Frankly I would just carry big tent, or make closable awning.
On the other hand I wonder why you have no space?
I am currently converting my bus to stealth motorhome and regural 170 WB gives me space for big shower w sink (removed from truck camper), 5-cu refrigerator and small kitchen sink - all fitted on driver side.
So having belts for 6 in rear dinette, I still can fit foldable seat for 2 in 2nd row, while having small cabinet as wardrobe on passenger side.

Last edited:

Brad75

2013 NCV3
Sprinter roof has about 22" between supporting beams, so that is opening you can cut without worry about redoing whole structure.
Also how many windows you have? Metal panels add to body rigidity, while bus models might become touchy with windows all around.
Frankly I would just carry big tent, or make closable awning.
On the other hand I wonder why you have no space?
I am currently converting my bus to stealth motorhome and regural 170 WB gives me space for big shower w sink (removed from truck camper), 5-cu refrigerator and small kitchen sink - all fitted on driver side.
So having belts for 6 in rear dinette, I still can fit foldable seat for 2 in 2nd row, while having small cabinet as wardrobe on passenger side.
no windows. cargo van converted to a weekender. basically i insulated, ran wiring and then paneled everything. i have a sleeping platform, kitchenette and an outdoor shower fed by a 40g tank. everything can be removed in case i need to use the van for work or haul something large.

we have plenty of space for roads trips etc etc but were going to be living on the road in a few years and the wife wants everything to be more comfortable. shes going to be working as a traveling nurse so when she comes home she want space to relax etc etc. i figured i could get a large outdoor tent for relaxing/eating etc and then use the inside for showering/dressing/storage and sleep up top on the roof. the living on the road part is only going to be for a year or 2 max so im trying to use my van instead of buying an RV or tow a trailer.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
If you have time, my conversion is at about 50% mark so we could exchange ideas. I have rear dinette already fit, what come very nicely as sitting with 270 views around while on the road and option to open rear door and covert U-ship dinette into parallel benches, so you can walk out rear door. I hold with shower installation till I take the van for DMV inspection as it might be hard to register it as limo with shower and kitchen in it.
BTW I parted truck camper and have several RV-style windows if you are interested.

Last edited:

Brad75

2013 NCV3
If you have time, my conversion is at about 50% mark so we could exchange ideas. I have rear dinette already fit, what come very nicely as sitting with 270 views around while on the road and option to open rear door and covert U-ship dinette into parallel benches, so you can walk out rear door. I hold with shower installation till I take the van for DMV inspection as it might be hard to register it as limo with shower and kitchen in it.
BTW I parted truck camper and have several RV-style windows if you are interested.
thanks for the offer but im still a long way away from rebuilding if i decide to go that route. wife still pushing me for an RV lol

you have any pictures of your dinette set up?

Brad75

2013 NCV3
i emailed Colorado Camper Van and they were kind enough to send over a few pictures of one of their 170 extended installs. i like how it looks. i think the vans length makes the hump a bit less noticeable. with a set up like this we could sleep upstairs and have a decent sized shower with plenty of room for storage inside the van.

https://www.coloradocampervan.com/

Brad75

2013 NCV3
Pricey, but very cool
You add in a screened porch and you’ve basically got a N.Y. apt on wheels. The only downside I can see for our situation is that we won’t be able to nstealth camp with this setup unless I added a fold down bed inside somewhere for those occasions.

Top Bottom