wiring harness failure details (for reference)

markxengineering

I had been chasing codes related to intake pressure sensor and O2 sensor for the past year. Replacing the components did not help. The problems were intermittent, and each time I checked the signals or the harness everything seemed fine. I could clear the CEL, be fine for a anywhere from 1 minute to several months, but always CEL and codes would return.

Finally, about a week ago, I stalled on the highway, luckily in a non-dangerous spot. The engine would re-start after key-off, then stall again a few minutes later. Codes at that point were as shown here (Cylinder 5 injector was the only new one)

I removed the injector cover, wiggled all the wiring I could, including harness stalk down by the fuel filter, and magically everything was fixed. But clearly I needed a new harness.

Here is the old harness, with a couple problem locations identified.

A new harness from a local Mercedes dealer was $560 or so, wholesale price, they had it next day. It would have been over $800 from dodge for the same part. Installation was time consuming, took me longer than it took some, but I'm a bit meticulous and have big hands. I'd say 1.5 complete days for me. The most difficult connector to figure out was the AC compressor. It's the only connector without a "clip" to release, you just pull/pry it straight out. I spent a while looking for the non-existing clip. The rest were all easy, just some tight spaces and making sure not to damage brittle, old plastic.

This is the only wiring failure of this type I've seen, and the only time I've had a vehicle shut off entirely for such a silly reason. IMO this contributes to the "finicky" reputation of the Sprinter- too bad they couldn't have done a better job with disabling only the failing injector circuit (much safer than engine shut off) or built a better harness in the first place. I guess this is an issue with other diesel's as well, but all my prior experience is in gasoline engines, never seen anything like this.

keywords 2030-002 2026-002 2036-001 2036-002 0205-008

Last edited:

lindenengineering

I had been chasing codes related to intake pressure sensor and O2 sensor for the past year. Replacing the components did not help. The problems were intermittent, and each time I checked the signals or the harness everything seemed fine. I could clear the CEL, be fine for a anywhere from 1 minute to several months, but always CEL and codes would return.

Finally, about a week ago, I stalled on the highway, luckily in a non-dangerous spot. The engine would re-start after key-off, then stall again a few minutes later. Codes at that point were as shown here (Cylinder 5 injector was the only new one)

I removed the injector cover, wiggled all the wiring I could, including harness stalk down by the fuel filter, and magically everything was fixed. But clearly I needed a new harness.

Here is the old harness, with a couple problem locations identified.

A new harness from a local Mercedes dealer was $560 or so, wholesale price, they had it next day. It would have been over $800 from dodge for the same part. Installation was time consuming, took me longer than it took some, but I'm a bit meticulous and have big hands. I'd say 1.5 complete days for me. The most difficult connector to figure out was the AC compressor. It's the only connector without a "clip" to release, you just pull/pry it straight out. I spent a while looking for the non-existing clip. The rest were all easy, just some tight spaces and making sure not to damage brittle, old plastic.

This is the only wiring failure of this type I've seen, and the only time I've had a vehicle shut off entirely for such a silly reason. IMO this contributes to the "finicky" reputation of the Sprinter- too bad they couldn't have done a better job with disabling only the failing injector circuit (much safer than engine shut off) or built a better harness in the first place. I guess this is an issue with other diesel's as well, but all my prior experience is in gasoline engines, never seen anything like this.

keywords 2030-002 2026-002 2036-001 2036-002 0205-008
The issues you have cited are quite common and we replace T1N harnesses at about one per month.
In fact we have go it down to a fine art form.
3,5 hours labor for a 2004 to 2006 model and 4,5 for a
2002 to 2003 T1N.

The reason for "finicky" as you put it is the German Auto Industry instance on using "twisted pairs" instead of shielding on certain vital circuits. That fundamental concept plus a basic philosophy of material cost, recycling and planned obsolescence (mid 90's MB platforms a typical example) all adds up to highest incidence of harness repair/replace intervention to correct driveability faults than might be regarded AS NORMAL. Noting in any diagnosis task incidences, very high resistances, and shorts, due to self abrasion of twisted pairs and environmental attack over time are often customary discoveries .

In contrast take Toyota and their harnesses made by Sumitomo being some of the BEST/Durable in the business and when you need it! Where pure computer stabilized voltage & data signal control is required on platforms like the Prius.

On Domestics the Ford principal of harnesses being manufactured to ISO 9000 standards ensure you get a lifetime durability on most stuff unless its been DIY "dicked" with.

So Ford & Toyota are top of the pile with German brands coming in as runners up in the electrical field races (excuse the pun) .(Shielding used, not twisted pairs for the most part.)
Now you know why (in part) why Linden fixes Euro based vehicles the most part .
Dennis

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I was under the impression that an injector open circuit wouldn't cause stalling, but maybe a grounding even would? Regardless, thanks for posting.

markxengineering

I’m pretty sure it was short to ground rather than open, but easy to check by unplugging an injector next time cover is off. I don’t think it will stall but not 100% sure either.

I’m pretty sure it was short to ground rather than open, but easy to check by unplugging an injector next time cover is off. I don’t think it will stall but not 100% sure either.
For the OM647 engine one injector at a time can be unplugged, or open circuit and the engine will continue to run. That is not true for the OM612 engine. There is a voltage kickback between/among injector circuits which is necessary. Unplugging even one injector on the OM612 engine causes immediate shutdown.

An injector harness short across or to ground isn't an open circuit.

:cheers: vic

glasseye

Are there any preventative measures an owner can take to reduce this vulnerability?

Observing/inspecting the bundle next to the fuel filter has proven inconclusive in my case. Does the bundle typically exhibit obvious abrasion damage?

I have no driveability issues. Just looking to prevent them. :idunno:

markxengineering

Cut the zip tie where the main stalk has its lowermost attachment near fuel filter. I’ll post a pic, that’s where mine wore right through the black skin then the wire insulation too.

markxengineering

By the way, I had to remove the harness 50% before I could move it around enough to see the abrasion point. It’s a very difficult spot to see when everything is together, but wouldn’t be difficult to cut the zip tie. Pics coming eventually... I wrapped the area in extra rubber this time, in hopes for another 200+k miles

lindenengineering

Now take note of this:-
That support bracket MB pt# A-901-546-03-43 is now obsolete we used our last one today.

That's the bad news, now the good!

Mopar men in Milwaukee have 89 of them, under part number 5120947AA
I ordered 10 off for stock.
Now you might ask why do I need 10 off.

Well the answer is simple
We see so many discarded when harnesses are worn through & shorted by abrasion on the fuel filter or steering column. This bracket is essential for harness longevity .
Check yours for security and grab one before they are gone.
Dennis

Now take note of this:-
That support bracket MB pt# A-901-546-03-43 is now obsolete we used our last one today.

That's the bad news, now the good!

Mopar men in Milwaukee have 89 of them, under part number 5120947AA
I ordered 10 off for stock.
Now you might ask why do I need 10 off.

Well the answer is simple
We see so many discarded when harnesses are worn through & shorted by abrasion on the fuel filter or steering column. This bracket is essential for harness longevity .
Check yours for security and grab one before they are gone.
Dennis
:hmmm:

I understand that your business needs to have the part for future OEM type repairs.

Can't a DIY owner just cut things loose, add some rubber or plastic for abrasion resistance, and re-assemble? Much like I have added DIY mods for quite a few possible harness area problems which I identified and addressed? The harnesses in my 2004 and 2006 have had some pretty obvious problem areas.

Heater or fuel hose slit to fit is often my choice for abrasion resistance. That said, simple vinyl electrical tape will work for the leftover life of a T1N Sprinter.

lindenengineering

:hmmm:

I understand that your business needs to have the part for future OEM type repairs.

Can't a DIY owner just cut things loose, add some rubber or plastic for abrasion resistance, and re-assemble? Much like I have added DIY mods for quite a few possible harness area problems which I identified and addressed? The harnesses in my 2004 and 2006 have had some pretty obvious problem areas.

Heater or fuel hose slit to fit is often my choice for abrasion resistance. That said, simple vinyl electrical tape will work for the leftover life of a T1N Sprinter.

Vic
Well of course.
As a DIY'r and being your own vehicle you are free to do whatever modification is felt necessary.
In a Pro shop however the customer is expecting a full technical repair according to factory specs, which is often the cheapest option to execute .
The bracket is just over $2,00 retail and often found missing.
Replacing the missing bracket and zip tying it up per factory methods is a very cheap remedy to returning the harness anchors and security to a factory spec.
Dennis

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Are there any preventative measures an owner can take to reduce this vulnerability?

Observing/inspecting the bundle next to the fuel filter has proven inconclusive in my case. Does the bundle typically exhibit obvious abrasion damage?

I have no driveability issues. Just looking to prevent them. :idunno:
I have an assortment of beer coozies from various events I use to wrap around the harness and the re zip it back to the bracket... I do this on every sprinter I see.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I wonder if it would be a good idea to inject some neutral cure silicone into the harness bundle near this bend? That would prevent the wires from chafing on each other, and wouldn't be impossible to remove down the road if needed.

mheat

Cut the zip tie where the main stalk has its lowermost attachment near fuel filter. I’ll post a pic, that’s where mine wore right through the black skin then the wire insulation too.
Same here. I was very lucky to find a reference on this forum, and find it. Easy to fix with a dab of silicone underneath.

Top Bottom