Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #31
Cwhite87

Default Re: [Video] 2KW Diesel Heater Install

I wasnt aware until a week after I sent it to the crusher. I should have kept the tank and pump
Old 01-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #32
brokengranite
Hold my beer, watch this

Update...

We dropped the fuel tank and added a fuel tap, it was a good amount of work, but nothing overly difficult.

This past weekend I ran the wiring to the heater and got everything buttoned up. Fired it up and ran fine. My only issue is theres kind of a "smell" to it. Ive done a fair bit of searching and it seems that its normal and just needs some time to burn off. Anyone else experience this?
Old 01-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #33
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,730 Times in 4,900 Posts

They always smell a bit for the first 20 hours or so. As long as there is no smoke, and your eyes aren't burning.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #34
JoeyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokengranite View Post
Update...

We dropped the fuel tank and added a fuel tap, it was a good amount of work, but nothing overly difficult.

This past weekend I ran the wiring to the heater and got everything buttoned up. Fired it up and ran fine. My only issue is theres kind of a "smell" to it. Ive done a fair bit of searching and it seems that its normal and just needs some time to burn off. Anyone else experience this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
They always smell a bit for the first 20 hours or so. As long as there is no smoke, and your eyes aren't burning.
Basically what midwestdrifter said is true. I even had a slight smell after running mine for 3 hours. I thought maybe I did not get it tightened down enough under the van, but when we took the van camping a couple weeks later we used the heater and there was no smell or fumes, so I think it just took a while to burn off/dissipate.
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #35
GSWatson
2013 144

Same experience. My guess is itís something like the casting release fluid in the aluminum thatís burning off. I ran mine on medium with the doors open for about half the day and it seemed to burn everything off. Now no smell whatsoever.

Cheers,
Greg
GSWatson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #36
brokengranite
Hold my beer, watch this

Thanks guys,

Thats what I assumed. Ive only run it a few times and only for 30 minutes or so testing it out. Next step is to install the Afterburner and figure out all the features!
Old 02-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #37
esmattcrna

Default 5Kw Chinese Heater and Yeti 1400 issue- HELP

Curious. I Have mounted my Chinese heater in the standard fashion, under the front passenger seat.

My problem:
I have a Yeti 1400 battery. The 12v panel on the Yeti will cycle off, and show a RED indicator, on occasion. Either at the warm up or shut down cycle of the heater. This occurs randomly and at other times the heater powers up/down with no issue with the Yeti 1400.

With the harness routing, it would be easy to drop the HOT lead to the actual vehicle fuse panel and not even utilize the Yeti (its independent of the van power).

Any thoughts on

1. Whats causing the 12v portion of the Yeti to turn RED and shut down?
2. Thoughts on wiring direct to the Van fuse panel/battery?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed
esmattcrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:38 AM   #38
JoeyB

Default Re: 5Kw Chinese Heater and Yeti 1400 issue- HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmattcrna View Post
Curious. I Have mounted my Chinese heater in the standard fashion, under the front passenger seat.

My problem:
I have a Yeti 1400 battery. The 12v panel on the Yeti will cycle off, and show a RED indicator, on occasion. Either at the warm up or shut down cycle of the heater. This occurs randomly and at other times the heater powers up/down with no issue with the Yeti 1400.

With the harness routing, it would be easy to drop the HOT lead to the actual vehicle fuse panel and not even utilize the Yeti (its independent of the van power).

Any thoughts on

1. Whats causing the 12v portion of the Yeti to turn RED and shut down?
2. Thoughts on wiring direct to the Van fuse panel/battery?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed
The heater pulls about 9-10A on start up for the glow plug. I looked up the manual and it seems all the ports on the Yeti 1400 max at 10 amps except the Power Pole ports which are rated for 20 amps. You could try shortening the cables to the heater to lower voltage drop and see if that helps (lower voltage is compensated by slightly higher amperage). Your overall best bet is to rewire it to the power pole ports, though.

I personally wouldn't wire it to your starter battery but others do it without issue. After it starts it just powers the fan, which should be okay if you're starting your vehicle at least 1x per day to recharge
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote