$5000 discount from Outdoorsy - order new

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I was at the Overland Expo East in Virginia this past month and ran into a company called Outdoorsy giving $5000 discounts on new Sprinter online orders through their new purchase program. They also have some way around the dealer allotment limit for better priority service. You pay them a $1000 when the order is put in and then they deliver the van to a local dealer and you pay the balance due upon pickup.

I am thinking of going this route and wondered if anyone has done this?

Wheeljack

Re: $5000 discount from Outdoorsy

It sounds like there is a catch...like we'll give you $5K off since you will be need to spend $75K with our preferred upfitters, or some other way to recoup the discount provided. Maybe a good deal if you are planning on going that route,.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
$5000 discount from Outdoorsy

Outside Vans has been doing something similar. They will get you a 4x4 van six months sooner than the dealer if you agree to spend $100k on a van conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnplyler

2020 4x4

Interesting. I just ordered mine from the dealer but found this article. Sounds like its a good deal, do you get to custom order it?

Yes, I got to custom order it. They do not try to push the sale or fast talk you, very nice people to work with. As far as I know, anyone can go through them and get the fleet rate price! You would want to email hannah@wheelbasepro.com

johnplyler

2020 4x4

It sounds like there is a catch...like we'll give you $5K off since you will be need to spend $75K with our preferred upfitters, or some other way to recoup the discount provided. Maybe a good deal if you are planning on going that route,.
No, Just a normal order like you would get from your dealer except at fleet rate prices!

Yeolesprinter

They will save you 5k but you're gonna spend a bunch with their up fitter. Great idea if you want to do absolutely nothing and are willing to spend more.

Get in touch with our team
Fill out our order request form on this website or reach out to our sales team at 1-800-971-8830.

Spec out your vehicle(s)
Our sales team will work with you to ensure that you get the right vehicle to your specifications. Once it’s built to your requirements, our program discount is taken off the invoice price.
Can’t wait? If you see a model year 2018 or 2019 that fits your needs, let us know! We can also help with unsold inventory in dealership network going back to 2018.

Select an upfitter
Our team will pair you with an upfitter who will guide you through the customized building experience as you configure the van of your dreams.

We build your van
Once the customization phase has completed, it’s time to deliver. Your upfitter (for upfitted orders) or sales representative (for base orders) will keep you updated on the van’s progress and timeline of completion.
Upon completion, we will deliver the Sprinter or ProMaster van to your closest pick-up location.

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
John, did you buy through Outdoorsy, and then do your own conversion?

Thanks,

Philip

Philip53

Thanks John. Can you give a bit more info on how the process went? Did you pick your own dealer to deal with (or have delivered to)? How long did it take to actually place the order? When (date) did you order, and how long to take delivery? And anything else you would like to share.

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I placed my order in Dec. 2019. I got the van June 16. It was just last week that the NCDMV said the title was finally ready, I haven't actually gotten it yet. The virus didn't help any!

You do not get to pick your dealer. The dealer they were using in Boerne, Texas I am told is no longer used.
The biggest problem I had was using the Mercedes Ordering Guide and Equipment Book. They did not have an up to date book to go by, so I would say I want this and that and they would come back and say that has changed or you can not get that, etc. But you will probably find this at any dealer. I downloaded my own books and they said what I had was the latest copy.

You will have a ton of options, picking them is a real problem! By the way, the 270 degree rear doors only open ~240 degrees. The front headliner does not have insulation. You will have to add that.

Philip53

I finally got through to someone who knows what's going on at Outdoorsy, and the program is not available at this time, and they don't know if or when it will be re-instated. Definitely a bummer........

Philip53

I have an update on the above program. After I had spoken to a 'supervisor', and reported her answer above, I finally received a response from Evan at Outdoorsey. After several calls and emails, it does seem they can still do the program, although they are not advertising it. So, not sure of the future, but I am in the process of ordering a new van, and hopefully all will fall into place.

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I just took my new 2020 "Splinter" for its maiden voyage and I was NOT impressed! In fact I am thinking of selling it!
This is what I found on the first trip: out of nowhere, the key decided not to work, I got this little sign on the dash saying put the key in the slot. Well, I could not find the slot. Mercedes puts all these safety stickers all over the dash and sun visors, but no sign as to where the slot is. It said read the book. I read the book and the picture was so poor I still could not make it out. I push the RED button for road side assistance and guess what, the person Mercedes has hired to answer questions did not know either!!!!!!!!!
Also, it is very hard to get all the lights to go out if you want to say open the doors and leave them open. You have to go and find the right little button to push, but then if you open another door you have to do it all over again. I guess the lights would finally go out after the battery went DEAD!
My recommendation- if you can find anything else, and I mean anything- go with it!
This Splinter is one computerized PILE OF CRAP!

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I think I see your problem. You bought a “Splinter” and not a Sprinter. I made the same mistake with my Rolax watch.

Top Bottom