What is the best way to run a wire through the roof?

143paul

I have done a few searches without much luck, so any help is welcomed, thanks.

I am mounting a light bar on the roof, and I think the best way to run the wires will be up the B pillar and out through the roof.

For the solar, I am using the standard roof entry - https://www.amazon.com/Proline-Weat...607544&sr=8-4&keywords=solar+roof+cable+entry

but for the light bar, the wire harness will not work through that option.

What other great ideas have people used in the past?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
What is the issue with the harness and the Proline unit (just to help us give better suggestions).

Some people have simply used conduit elbows instead of the "streamlined" (and dual-wire) Proline heads.

The up-side for that method is "only one round hole" (easy to drill)
The down-side is "kind'a ugly bent pipe sticking out of roof" appearance.

Somwhere in the infinite forum threads there's a photo or two of that style.
There are also far flatter shaped covers, too.

Be aware that the B pillar includes the seat belt retraction mechanism. Care should be taken in keeping your wires from interfering with it (and the squib explosive retractors).

--dick

143paul

Thanks guys for your help

Dick - the problem with the proline is that the light's waterproof connector will not pas through that fitting. I could cut all the wires and re connect, but I am hoping for an idea that avoids that.

John - thanks for the marine clam idea - I will check that out.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Last edited:

bobloblaw

Whats the best wire to run on the roof of a sprinter (through a cable clam)? Something like SOOW Cord? I need to run wire to a light bar as well and was going to use regular marine duplex cable, but it's flat and wont work with a clam

Kevsuda

I've run duplex through a cable gland several times without issue. Not sure if that's the same as a clam you're talking about.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Somehow i consider a bundle of 5 round wires through one hole "not round, but lumpy".

I have seen glands offered with un-drilled seal material, leaving it to the installer to create whatever shape they'd like.

--dick

Top Bottom