Service A Timing Advice Request

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
We currently have 17,500 miles on our 2017 FX. I changed the oil and filters at 10,000 miles. By the time we leave for the Winkler rally in September we will have 18,000 miles on the unit, and upon arrival 19,000 miles. From Winkler we will be heading west to Jasper, Banff, Glacier and Yellowstone before heading back east to Michigan. At that point, we will have another 3,000 plus miles, or a total of 22,000 plus. We won't have time in our schedule to stop at the MB dealer in Winnipeg (or elsewhere) to get the 20,000 mile Service A work done en route. So, should we:

(1) have the Service A work done at 18,000 miles before we leave, or
(2) have the Service A work done at 22,000 miles after the extended trip?

From a warranty and prudence standpoint, Option (1) seems like the best choice, but as a thrifty Dutchman, Option (2) beckons. Your thoughts and opinions please. :thinking:

kernhend

2017 Unity MB
I did a Service A at 14,000 miles on a recent 5-month trip. This means that the Service B will be due at 34,000 miles. If I were you I'd do option (1). The computer will start hinking at you at 20,000 miles otherwise. You want to keep these babies quiet!

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
20000 miles is an extremely high mileage between oil changes anyway. I would, without hesitation, opt for the early oil change. Looking back, the recommendation for the 2013 Sprinter Chassis was 10k miles, in 2014 it was upped to 15k and for 2015 and beyond 20k. While these increases were happening I don't recall any talk of changes to the engine that would facilitate the increases. I personally don't acquire more than 6-12 k per year on my rv's so I do the service annually. Mercedes will sell you a prepaid maintenance plan that provides for 8 years of service for ~ $4,200. Depending on your location and dealer practices this may or may not be a good deal for you. I know on my previous rv, the 4th year service alone retailed for ~ $2,000. At that time I had a 6 year maintenance plan that cost me $2,400. I clearly got my money's worth but then I am in the People's Republic of California where everything costs an arm and a leg. Good luck!

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
Actually I missed the fact that you had changed oil and filters at 10K. With that in mind you will be fine at 22K.
Bill

D

Deleted member 50714

I would not exceed the recommended service interval. May give MB ammo to void warranty. Sooner is better than later.

Please note the following.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

CB1945

You actually have only Option 1. I can't imagine jeopardizing your warranty to save a couple bucks on an oil change.

Golfnut92

Option 1, I did a similar service in Elkhart, IN on my generator break in oil change. I was at the Manufacturer so why not let the experts do the work even if a few hours early. Good luck on your trip.

Bone Head

2014 LTV Unity MB
Additional information for your consideration:

Take a look at what is covered in the service "A" and decide if it is really worth the expense. The dealer has a laundry list of things which they look at and charge you for. Some of those things do not exist on your unit.
You might wand to just do an "AL-a-cart" service covering just what you need done without the fluff. Would probably save you some $$.

Just a thought

Bob

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
So, an hour after my original post I started my unit to move it so I could clean its storage barn. Up popped the message: "Service A required in 30 days." I have no idea how the computer determined this to be the case (perhaps the computers in our units are secretly reviewing the posts on this forum). In any event, I will take this as a sign confirming most of your views that earlier is better than later. Thanks to all who responded.

jennian

We’ve had sprinter chassis based rvs for over 4 years now and always do annual service at a Mercedes dealer. No problems ever.

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
So, an hour after my original post I started my unit to move it so I could clean its storage barn. Up popped the message: "Service A required in 30 days." I have no idea how the computer determined this to be the case (perhaps the computers in our units are secretly reviewing the posts on this forum). In any event, I will take this as a sign confirming most of your views that earlier is better than later. Thanks to all who responded.
The service reminder has a time count down (1 year I think) as well as a mileage countdown. If you didn't reset the countdown when you did the 10,000 mile oil change, the computer will still be counting down the time.

Top Bottom