Installing generator in 2009 Dodge Sprinter, tips or input will be appreciated.

123viko

Hello everybody!

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has installed a generator inside their sprinter van. I am planning on making my van a mobile office year round so I need to have an ac, heater, and various desktops working all the time. Has anyone done this before? My van is a 2009 dodge sprinter 2500 extended wheelbase. If anyone has any pointers or tips I would more than appreciate it also if anyone has another way of getting power to a van in a less dangerous way I would appreciate their input. Thank you all for your time.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
I'd look at an Onan that mounts under the van & behind the rear axle. Use an RV type setup with a house battery, inverter, wiring, etc., to save $$ on an install. The question then is fuel source... Diesel using the Sprinter's tank or LP needing an additional tank, regulator, etc..

FWIW, it might be better, cheaper and more reliable to find a Sprinter based Class B RV that has all the generator system installed and wired up. Then you only have to customize your interior office space...

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
You could run the electronics in your mobile office pretty easily and relatively inexpensively off of a DC battery bank/inverter so your decision on a generator will largely depend on how much air conditioning you're going to need. If you are in a hot environment and will need it all day every day then the only practical way to go would be a small diesel. The Onan 3200QD is a good choice but they've been on back order from Onan for quite a while. PowerTech also makes a 3 kw diesel genset for Sprinter use that seems to get good reports, but either option will set you back about $6k for the generator, plus installation. If your need for A/C is only occasional (a few hours during the peak of the day) then you could go with a Onan 3600LP (propane) unit for about half the above cost, but you would need to install a propane tank (which could also be used for heating.) Another less desirable option would be something like a Honda eu3000 in a makeshift box. The Honda units are very good but are not designed for enclosed, mobile use and while people do use them that way it requires a fair amount of jury-rigging.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Hello everybody!

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has installed a generator inside their sprinter van. I am planning on making my van a mobile office year round so I need to have an ac, heater, and various desktops working all the time. Has anyone done this before? My van is a 2009 dodge sprinter 2500 extended wheelbase. If anyone has any pointers or tips I would more than appreciate it also if anyone has another way of getting power to a van in a less dangerous way I would appreciate their input. Thank you all for your time.

Yes, I have.

I use a onan rvqd8000 in a 3500- but my needs are extreme as the application is business not leisure.

Smiller gave a good summary, but Im wondering how big the workstations and how many guys - render racks?

You insinuate multiple.

In my opinion a Mobil office has to have continuous power and AC available 8-10 hours a day. multiple desktops mean heat production cpu/gpu and 2 people putting off heat working you are talking about 15K bur ac unit as a base load. - maybe 2 13.5's. if you operate in extreme climates

Add it all up in a list and well work it through with you.

Uncle Dave

Last edited:

123viko

Hello guys,

I apologize for the delay, I forget my password and couldn't log in. Anyways thank you so much for you input! Really thank you! I will list the amount of equipment hopefully if you guys could help me out I would appreciate it. As far as I know now I will be the only one in the office with the exception of one more person on occasion. I don't have a big budget but if necessary I will compromise on equipment that will be needed. Any suggestions on buying a used generator?? Or should I used 6 house batteries, I believe that they will not hold up to the demand. I live in NYC and I need to have an office on the move, it will help me with my small business. It will also help keep my overhead lower. Thank you so much guy I look forward to hearing from you!

Top Bottom