Are Unity holding tanks enclosed or are they exposed? What about the hoses?

Acei

I'm asking because we do expect to camp somewhat when it hits freezing marks (especially during fall leaves season), so any exposed water system is of a concern. Are Unity van water systems properly enclosed for this type of camping?

I'm currently looking at the Unity CB, Roadtrek CS Adventurous, and Winnie Trend but I can't figure out if any of these are freeze-proof in mildly cold weathers.

Francois

I'm asking because we do expect to camp somewhat when it hits freezing marks (especially during fall leaves season), so any exposed water system is of a concern. Are Unity van water systems properly enclosed for this type of camping?

I'm currently looking at the Unity CB, Roadtrek CS Adventurous, and Winnie Trend but I can't figure out if any of these are freeze-proof in mildly cold weathers.
I just order a CB, and I study the cold weather application prior to purchase. They are not winter compatible unit (like the Regency), but you can stretch it in the fall. The fresh water tank is inside (under the bed), and all the water piping also, so if you keep all the inside warm, it should be ok. The black and gray tanks are under; I ask for heat pads and some extra insulation, you can add antifreeze in the tank (especially for the valves). I choose the standard hot water system so that part remains warm all the time. Weak point will be the exterior service module; I intend to have a mini space heater and a wireless thermometer to keep track of that part. (You need to be plug to 120 V to power those heaters)

Mein Sprinter

Known member

I have a 2010 Roadtrek SS Agile.... and have gone through -10F... > 35F. Yes, the tanks on my vehicle are exposed "raw" to the elements BUT so long you do not sit in a Campground for 3 days/nights below 32F -you will do just fine as long as the days come back above 32F! I tend to turn on the water heater...keep the interior warm using the furnace or equivalent. So far so good.

cheers...

Acei

Thanks for the feedback guys. The problem is that up here in north, especially in big parks located at relatively high altitude, weather changes suddenly. It might be possible to experience couple of days in a row of below 32F weather with no warnings. This is the reason why I'm looking for something that is somewhat freeze proof. I guess an ideal case is to find something that will let me camp more than a week in below 32F temperature (but not too far below as if that is the case, we might as well drive away!).

chromisdesigns

Any of those would likely be ok in mild freezing conditions, IF you get a tank heater option, and IF you have a plug-in so the tank heaters don't flatten your battery overnight.

We have been through a few cold nights with our rig, and tank heaters, and it was fine. Plumbing is all internal in Coach House, and furnace duct runs through the plumbing space, so it stays warm.

Acei

Yes, during those borderline seasons, we would camp at locations with hydro so that would not be an issue. Sounds like I will need to specifically look for models that offer tank heater options. If I have this, can I safely assume that other water components won't freeze?

Kozad

We ordered our 2014 Unity 24MB with heated tanks; which will be insulated by covering tanks/heat pads with spray foam.

As noted in previous posts the exterior shower head and compartment are a weak point; can this be drain independent of the entire coach or an inside shut-off valve installed on the supply line so the shower can be drained??

Take a look at the article posted in the 2013 Fall LTV Travel Newsletter pages 11 & 12 titled: Blizzard Adventures by Tom and Deanna Little - 2009 Serenity

http://www.leisurevans.com/owners/pdf/fall_2013.pdf

Looks like they came through this ordeal relatively unscathed; although there is no mention of tanks or water lines freezing I am assuming there were no issues?

Top Bottom