Any idea what this really is

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
I do not believe that, as the sign says, this is only used for tethered weather research.

Ask me sometime about how I went right in through the open gate and what a ruckus that caused. Dang !
Then let's talk about brandishing firearms ! ? .

There's a similar aircraft down in the Florida Keys. I was told it is used to watch for things like drug traffic. Could be for weather I suppose? vic

bc339

They're called Aerostats. The large fairing or canoe mounted on the bottom is for the Radar system. They have many uses - mostly surveillance - boats, aircraft, missiles, Sprinters...
Did you get to kiss the concrete after your entrance?

Bruce

B

boxcar

Ask me sometime about how I went right in through the open gate and what a ruckus that caused. Dang !
Then let's talk about brandishing firearms ! ?
.....Though open gates appear inviting, approaching any completely unmarked craft without first clearing such is highly inadvisable, as you've discovered.
.....Said advice unheeded, a Kevlar vest may help.

.....Yea, verily: surveillance. 24/7

glasseye

.....Though open gates appear inviting, approaching any completely unmarked craft without first clearing such is highly inadvisable, as you've discovered.

Keep the fear alive, eh?

What happened to our "freedoms"?

It has no apparent motive power, so it's not mobile. The huge tail confirms that it's designed for tethered use. That and the huge ventral bulge points to surveillance as its prime use. Weather? I doubt it. You're not going to learn much about the weather by looking down and the tether would limit its altitude. Weather balloons work the troposphere and higher.

Last edited:

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
They didn't seem to mind photography but they did mind me driving right in to pose Sallie next to the big balloon.

I guess I should say that the gate was, in fact, broken and stuck in the full open position.
Oh, and there were a few discouraging signs too, but I didn't have time to fuss with that.:idunno:

And so, a fun time was had by all.

Top Bottom