Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, & Problems with the Forum

Old 08-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,599 Times in 735 Posts
Default Post but no edits

Sikwan: I no longer seem to have edit rights to my posts, though I can post new threads. Any particular reason?
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
Don Horner
2012 Unity IB

Default Re: Post but no edits

I'm replying to see if I can edit. If you don't see an edit below this paragraph, then I cannot.

Yep, here it is, no problem. I'm using Firefox.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:46 AM   #3
tab380
The Drain Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpierce View Post
Sikwan: I no longer seem to have edit rights to my posts, though I can post new threads. Any particular reason?
Ill try too.

It works for me. I dont know what firefox is but I have AOL dialup.
tab380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 AM   #4
SprinterUSA1

No problems here either.

SprinterUSA1
SprinterUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 AM   #5
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,860 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpierce View Post
HKPierce:

I just recently set the "edits" to one day, meaning if your post is older than one day, then the forum will not let you do any edits to your own posts.

The reason I did this was because we had one member go through a deletion & edit spree. First he deleted all his posts and caused a lot of discontinuity in several threads. No problem, it's his posts and he can do whatever he wants. The problem was that he would post and delete it and then post again keeping his post count to one.

After the advice of a couple forum members I decided to restore the posts. I thought about the copyright issues (which I'm no expert), but this is a public forum and members are welcome to visit and not POST.

After I restored it, he again deleted them. I took away his deletion privileges. Then he decided to go edit all his posts and delete all of its contents. This time I had to one by one restore each and every posts from previous backups. I then took away all his editing privileges. He then decided that he didn't want to be a member any more so I banned him (somewhat).

I can do one or other things...

1. Keep it the way it is and just give HKPierce editing privileges not limited to 1 day.

2. Give everyone editing privileges for 1 week.

3. Give everyone "no limit" editing privileges.

I don't really mind number 3. I just don't want to restore 500 posts because of some disgruntled members. :D

Suggestions, please.

Thanks,
Seek
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,944 Posts

I think that 24 hours to immortalize one's posting, one's writing - one's thoughts - is plenty of time to burn the manuscript before it becomes public domain.

Words are valuable, even the words conveyed in irrational anger or insane euphoria, because they reflect experiences, events, victories, regrets; lessons about people, personalities, Sprinters, engineering, problem solving, passion.

We learn from experiences. We transfer first-hand experiences, learning by using words.

Twenty-four hours is plenty of time to take it back. It's more than we get in the real world. Comparatively speaking, I think 24 hours is luxury.

The moment I drop a letter in the mail box, it's no longer my property. Maybe the posting Submit button should say, "Airmail."

Is there a terse - maybe short, single - word for "Next Day Delivery?"

:)

-Jon

Last edited by jdcaples; 08-30-2007 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Just checking
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #7
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,867 Posts

Seek I agree with your reasoning, it's a two way question and a tough call as to what a member may choose to do, by deleting a post that connects to all the questions in a post on a thread in our forum as such.
To delete because of personal feelings right or wrong! does make the thread useless so 24 hours to modify should be more than sufficient for members in IMPO
Copyright !it's a public forum! "Once committed it becomes public domain property". Although I have gone back on my own postings many times, to correct a mistake or a bad sentence from time to time, but in the main I think you made the right decision.
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
ctmcdaniel
Cross Member

Seek

24 hours is fine.

Tom McD
ctmcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,599 Times in 735 Posts

One of the strengths of this forum's format as compared to the Yahoo forum's format is the editting feature. If used properly (clearly from Sikwan's description a big "if") threads can be kept more compact, thus increasing their readability and utility. In my opinion, long threads with many posts with limited additional information are not as useful as shorter threads where the incremental information is added in its proper context. I often create a generic topic thread [such as http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...ht=insulation] and then add to it. This keeps information in a compact presentation. I also go back and add words to help searches, and occassionally update data and pictures.

These forums also serve more than one function: they originate for pooling information. But they evolve into a mini-society, wherein certain posters appreciate the feed-back of having an increment added to their postings count; or the act of posting confirming their sense of being part of the social group. This development is actually good, as it keeps information coming in. As with edits, this development can be abused. So, while edits do not lead to the same social fed-back mechanism, I do think that edits - for those willing to go through the effort - help with the first function of pooling information in a compact manner.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
Alchemist_Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwan View Post

I can do one or other things...
1. Keep it the way it is and just give HKPierce editing privileges not limited to 1 day.
2. Give everyone editing privileges for 1 week.
3. Give everyone "no limit" editing privileges.
I don't really mind number 3. I just don't want to restore 500 posts because of some disgruntled members. :D
Suggestions, please.

Thanks,
Seek
I realize nobody has commented on this in a while, but I'd like to request you go to #2. Most of my Sprinter projects seem to last about 3 days, and rather than keep replying to my own thread(s), I'd like to edit the original post as things develop.
Custom backup camera
Suits my family of 7_8 quite well.
Alchemist_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote