Winterizing PDF?

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Has anyone composed a final overall and complete set of Winterizing steps in PDF form (perhaps) for the 2017 series Murphy Bed Unity?

Forgive me for rehashing this. I know it gets tiresome. But this website does not work with my phone for Search Results. As soon as I try to type my search word, the text box disappears.

This will be my very first self-inflicted Winterization, once I reach Maryland. Currently sitting on the Intracoastal Waterway in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. No... not IN it!! :lol: But my stay is not over, yet. Anything is possible!

In the past, I have found several articles for the 2014 year. Then a blurb on the added features on the 2017. Then a reminder on the Truma AquaGo System. Then repudiations in the Forum stating this or that is not necessary, or that something was left out.

It's a little confusing and worrisome to a naive newbie like me. I do have the OEM Heater Core for the Truma. Once, I get home, I can setup a trickle charge extension cord, if that is recommended. I just want to get it right the first time.

And I will either trace that phantom draw on the front cabin battery, or disconnect it. Must I worry about that battery freezing - and the Lithiums in the coach?

msmolow

2019 Unity CB / 2018 Chas
I made this list from Willie's video. Not listed is checking my flooded cell fluid levels.

Attachments

Last edited:

Abe123

2015.5 UTB
Hey Scarecrow,
I have a 2015.5 Unity TB and live in Silver Spring Maryland. I would be happy to help you winterize your RV when you get back to Maryland. We can create a PDF manual. I do have the original Leisure Travel Van manuals that document how to winterize. I am a do it yourself guy and have successfully winterized my Unity several times.

Scarecrow

Hey Scarecrow,
I have a 2015.5 Unity TB and live in Silver Spring Maryland. I would be happy to help you winterize your RV when you get back to Maryland. We can create a PDF manual. I do have the original Leisure Travel Van manuals that document how to winterize. I am a do it yourself guy and have successfully winterized my Unity several times.
That would be a big help. I will get in touch when I get in the area. Silver Spring is not that far. Thanks!

glsBigSky

2022/2021 Renegade Vienna RMC
Note on my attachment above - Step 17 should read "black or gray" tank for flushing the macerator. If you have access to a sewer hook up then the black tank will work. If not you will want to use the gray tank to flush antifreeze through the macerator.

HoloHolo

'19/18 LTV Unity(MB)
Here is my Winterizing/De-Winterizing checklist. This is for 2019/18 UMB with AquaGo Comfort+ water heater, macerator and San-T-Flush system. It's written for someone who has never done it, so more detail than some might need.

Attachments

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Forgive me for rehashing this. I know it gets tiresome. But this website does not work with my phone for Search Results. As soon as I try to type my search word, the text box disappears.
Yes this happens to me as well, when you select the Search and just try to type the box disappears.
You have to select "Advanced Search" to get the page that allows you to search by Keyword and other features. Try selecting "Advanced Search" and then type in a Keyword and select "Search Now." I bet you will be amazed by the results that appear.

Attachments

geds

2018 Serenity
Here is my Winterizing/De-Winterizing checklist. This is for 2019/18 UMB with AquaGo Comfort+ water heater, macerator and San-T-Flush system. It's written for someone who has never done it, so more detail than some might need.
That is a good process, but I did not see anything about using descaling or bleaching the system during the dewintering process. Do you not do those?

And Scare - my best suggestion to you would be stay where you are for about 3 weeks and you won't have to go through any of this until next year!

Scarecrow

Yes this happens to me as well, when you select the Search and just try to type the box disappears.
You have to select "Advanced Search" to get the page that allows you to search by Keyword and other features. Try selecting "Advanced Search" and then type in a Keyword and select "Search Now." I bet you will be amazed by the results that appear.
Yes! That works!

HoloHolo

'19/18 LTV Unity(MB)
That is a good process, but I did not see anything about using descaling or bleaching the system during the dewintering process. Do you not do those?
Because we camp a lot on shoulder seasons I may winterize/de-winterize several times. But, as summer season approaches, YES, I use bleach water and flush system as part of the final de-winterizing process. I use the winterizing function to suck the bleach water into freshwater tank. Then use this to flush the antifreeze from the system. Then flush with fresh water. My Truma AquaGo tells me when I need to use their tablets to de-scale system, so that is not part of my de-winterizing process. (If I were to experience diminished flow in hot water system I would do an additional de-scale, but this has not occurred, yet. With a hard water source it might be needed more frequently.)

(BTW, I minimize the amount of bleach water that goes into my black tank by moving most of the bleach water up from the tank through spigots that discharge into the grey tank [galley and shower]. Then, just enough water through the bathroom sink spigot [the only one that discharges to black tank] until I smell the bleach. Same procedure with flushing out the bleach after it sits for at least an hour in the piping.)

geds

2018 Serenity
HoloHolo: I use an in-line filter at the hose bib connection before the water goes into my potable water hose (in addition to the factory installed filter in house) to prevent silt from entering my system. This makes an easy place to pour the bleach (just remove the filter, pour it in, and reconnect) to also cleanse my potable hoses and ensures all of my incoming lines are cleaned. Once the bleach is out of the filter container, I install a fresh filter for the season and continue with the flushing process.

By the way, I make sure to remove the in-house filter before flushing as it is designed to absorb and remove chlorine.....

2yrs2go

2019 Unity MB
One of the concerns I had with using bleach for sanitizing the fresh water system was the need to carry around a gallon ( I no longer can find the smaller bottles of bleach) of a rather corrosive substance like chlorine bleach. Working in telecom I have seen extensive damage to electronics, metal structures and even concrete due to exposure to chlorine fumes. Looking for a solution I found this on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011EVP2UG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It is bleach in a solid crystal form. Weighs less, takes up less space and does not out gas as much the liquid form. Add a few tablespoons to a bucket of water and use the winterizing hose as normal. Works great and one bottle should last many years if you follow the recommended schedule of sanitizing every six months.

Scarecrow

Big shout out to Abe123 from Silver Spring (whose name is Charlie). He kept his word and met with me today ay the Rest Area just north of Laurel, MD. We went over every winterizing step and he even crawled under my rig to empty the fresh water tank (which would have been hard on my back) .

I learned several things for the first time - as easy as it is for you experienced guys. Like how to flush the black tank, etc. It was a great experience for someone like me who has never done this.

Only small issue we had was closing too many valves under the sink. Charlie even broke out his compressor to blow out the small lines per LTV's video.

It may get down to 24 tonight at home, but I can rest easy. Spent the last two nights of 26 degrees or so cowering in my nephew's huge Class A garage he built years ago in Newburg, MD. He sold his rig when a close friend died unexpectedly a few years back - the guy he went to all the NASCAR races with. Gave me a chance to visit with my sister.

This was a great ending to a long 30-day trip from Phoenix.

2yrs2go

2019 Unity MB
Big shout out to Abe123 from Silver Spring (whose name is Charlie). He kept his word and met with me today ay the Rest Area just north of Laurel, MD. We went over every winterizing step and he even crawled under my rig to empty the fresh water tank (which would have been hard on my back) .
Does the rest area north of Laurel, MD on I95 have a dump station? I didn't know that or am I reading something wrong. Free dump stations around the DC area are non existent to my knowledge, I'm hoping I was wrong now.

Scarecrow

Does the rest area north of Laurel, MD on I95 have a dump station? I didn't know that or am I reading something wrong. Free dump stations around the DC area are non existent to my knowledge, I'm hoping I was wrong now.
Yes.
North bound on I-95. I think it was Exit 38B, just North of Laurel, MD. Dump is just before you leave the Rest Area to get on the Northbound Ramp. Has, a convenient dumpster withing 20 ft. And water - not sure it was potable. May exist at the mirror rest area on the Southbound side of I-95, as, well.

Free to use!
Most places, I found charged up to $25. $10 and $15 is typical.

ssalaria

2020 Serenity
Hello all. Revisiting this old thread. What sort of compressor do you all use to blow out the lines? Also any recommended connectors? I had another question around fresh water tank and lines. I am sure no one is a fan of any kind of antifreeze liquid and/or bleach in your fresh tanks. Bleach I understand to kill the micro organisms, etc. But can't you just blow out the lines and empty the tanks. Shouldn't that take care of it. No water, nothing to freeze? Why antifreeze?

Thank you.

ssalaria

2020 Serenity
All.

I found this common sense video for winterizing. This man knows his stuff free of chemicals. The only thing you will have to look up is the tankless water heater (for which we have the directions). I am a no-chemical guy so will most definitely try this method. I welcome your experience/comments!

Best of luck,
Shani.

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
Hello all. Revisiting this old thread. What sort of compressor do you all use to blow out the lines? Also any recommended connectors? I had another question around fresh water tank and lines. I am sure no one is a fan of any kind of antifreeze liquid and/or bleach in your fresh tanks. Bleach I understand to kill the micro organisms, etc. But can't you just blow out the lines and empty the tanks. Shouldn't that take care of it. No water, nothing to freeze? Why antifreeze?

Thank you.
Any compressor that will allow you to adjust the pressure down to 30-40psi will work fine. How thorough you are about winterizing depends a lot on where you live. I blow my fresh water lines out using a compressor when I need to store in mid winter but I live near Portland Oregon - not northern Minnesota where winter looks quite different to say the least.

Top Bottom