Fitting allow wheels on 3500 Dually 4x4

AGDunc

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2016 3500 Dually 4x4 which I will be fitting out as a camper. Although I don't mind the daully wheels, I would ideally like to swap them out for some Black Rhino Barstow (load rated) alloys:

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/wheels/black-rhino/11709-barstow-textured-matte-black?rim_size%5b0%5d=17

I know this is a not a simple job. I have the van booked in with Mercedes next Monday for them to quote on converting the dually setup to Super Single, but reading through a few threads on here has made me question whether this will help or not. I would like to run 17" rims with 265/70 BFG KO2 Tyres all round. This wheel and tire size should be more than suitable according to Van Compass's FAQ if the van were a simple 2500 setup, but I wonder if I can even run the same wheel size all round on a 3500 converted to Super Single. I am also expecting a hefty quote for converting the van in the first instance, but I'd rather ask and find out than just put up with the dually setup. The reason for converting in the first place is largely aesthetic, but I think it will also help with the van's off-road abilities.

Any insight that any of you might have to share on the idea would be very helpful. I will post any feedback I get from Mercedes here once I have it.

Andrew

45Kevin

Did you get a quote for the swap?

I am currently looking for a used 4x4 and a dually 3500 has come available.

Like you I am leary of the dually off road limitations.
I'm pretty sure it's not recommended to air them down as the dual tires will rub each other.

I have also read about super singles. Is that an option for the sprinters?

sailquik

AGDunc
Not sure how the dealer thinks they are going to accomplish the conversion to Super Singles (SuSi).
I had a set of the wheels shipped over from Germany, but MB USA would not sell me the rear hub
adapters to mount the SuSi wheels on my 2012 Sprinter 519/3500.
Don't think the 4x4 transfer case is going to like significantly different size tires on front vs rear.
The ABS and ESP are altered on SuSi (from the factory) Sprinters so the wheel speed monitoring
works OK with the different size wheels and tires.
Also, check into the spare tire adapter you have to have with SuSi wheels.
Also have you checked the availability of SuSi tires that will fit a Sprinter, Not many choices out
there that will fit a Sprinter and have the right speed and load ratings.
I even asked the folks at Michelin X One if they were planning to develop a SuSi tire that would fit
Sprinter vans, but the reply was that they are only interested the larger 22.5" 18 wheeler big rig
and straight trucks like Dump trucks and big cargo dry box vans.
Have you considered other alloy wheels ( Alcoa would be considered the best, and you could
phosphatize them and spray them black or get them powder coated.
I see that Agile Offroad has a new Sprinter 516/519/VS30 3500 Specific wheel that looks pretty
good:
A limited number of options, and I will be very surprised if your dealer will get all the parts and
the ABS/ESP programming to put their SuSi Wheels and tires on your 4x4 Sprinter.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Top Bottom