Agile Off Road - Customer Reviews

fluxx43

I have a new 4x4 Sprinter out of conversion that I am considering getting some suspension work on. I have read many threads discussing Van Compass and Agile Off Road. I thought I could isolate Agile Off Road down to one thread and get customers that have been running there suspension to post there Positive and Negatives here for those interested in doing the same.

I have the Agile suspension on my 2wd cargo 170ext. I love it. John was great to work with. My needs were different from the owners of 4x4 Sprinters. John took that into consideration and built the best suspension for me.
Call John and tell him what you need.

Vailcomp

I just had agile install an onboard ARB compressor- I also had then install skid pans a couple of months ago. My next will be the RIP. Saw a new sprinter with the RIP yesterday.
I would not consider anyone else. Go for it. John and crew are the best.

Onefin

I just had agile install an onboard ARB compressor- I also had then install skid pans a couple of months ago. My next will be the RIP. Saw a new sprinter with the RIP yesterday.
I would not consider anyone else. Go for it. John and crew are the best.
Where did they locate the ARB compressor? I’ve been thinking of locations for my ARB twin.

Vailcomp

Under the drivers side, against the side of the well. The filters are on top so you can reach around for cleaning or other access. Just had them mount the twin compressor and no tank. Quick connects under the hood and at the rear bumper. I didn’t have space under the hood for the compressor as I have my storage battery’s installed on the driver side.

err

John and Jesus we fantastic to deal with. I had them install their RIP suspension kit, 10k lb winch, and VC skid plates. Since I had to travel in from out of town and hole up at an Air BnB, they were awesome at getting everything organized so the install could be completed quickly. Can't recommend them enough!

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
John and Jesus we fantastic to deal with. I had them install their RIP suspension kit, 10k lb winch, and VC skid plates. Since I had to travel in from out of town and hole up at an Air BnB, they were awesome at getting everything organized so the install could be completed quickly. Can't recommend them enough!

Warn winch? Why 10k winch and not 12k? Van is probably over 8k. Love the hidden look of the winch. Is Agile able to get better price on Warn? Seems same fixed price everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

err

Warn winch? Why 10k winch and not 12k? Van is probably over 8k. Love the hidden look of the winch. Is Agile able to get better price on Warn? Seems same fixed price everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, Warn Xenon 10K. Word is anything more poses a significant risk of tweaking the front of the van, particularly when pulling at an angle. My van is a bit under 8000 fully loaded (measured on a Cat scale). I’m sure it’s entirely possible to put the van in a spot that the winch alone can’t handle. Fingers crossed that never happens!

The hidden mount is sweet, really a nice piece of kit.

Price on the winch was comparable to buying anywhere else but their install charge was very reasonable.

Last edited:
Hey Err. I know the Agile RIP kit alters the geometry of the suspension. Do you know if this affects the turning radius at all? I love how tight our vans can turn.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I have the Zeon Platinum 12S.... don’t forget to keep a tree strap and also snatch blocks in your vehicle, a block will double your pulling power... and ALWAYS carry a shovel !!!
I wouldn’t be that concerned about 10 vs 12... if you don’t know how to use one then it doesn’t make any difference anyways, you’re just relying on other peoples opinions in reality...
it would be worth your time to go ride ATV’s and learn about winching and real trail riding vs what people THINK they can do in their $75K+ vehicle...

err

@michaeldorian - I'm not certain to what extent the turning radius is or is not affected. I'm suspect a precision calculation would show a small difference. In use, the geometry alteration and/or addition of wheel spacers does not affect turning radius enough for it to be noticeable. Generally the concern with the geometry change is the angle on the CV's and the potential for accelerated wear. I have owned a few similarly modified vehicles and driven many miles without issue. I am on the fence on possibly adding the Van Compass parts to the front of my van to correct the CV angles.

@aksotar - Couldn't agree more on multiple points you make. I carry a very well stocked recovery kit, multiple straps, blocks, etc. I also keep not only a shovel, but a stout folding saw, hatchet, and a little extra rope. One of the issues that tends to pop up in places where I venture is downed trees blocking the road. A winch and a saw can make quick work of such obstacles if you know what you're doing. Personally, I avoid the real hardcore offloading with my van. I prefer my motos and mountain bikes when its time to get into really rowdy terrain.

On the subject of the 12k vs 10k winch. From what I've been told, there is a genuine concern around the strength of the front of the van with these powerful winches, particularly with a pull at a steep angle. Apparently some folks have tweaked the front of their vans but this is all 2nd hand info and rumors. That said, I don't think the 2k is really the make or break. It makes sense to me just that going past 10k is probably increasing the chances of accidentally tweaking something but then I strong agree with you that misuse is probably a greater concern.

I just double-checked the weight of my van, weighed on a certified CAT scale. It came out to 7780 lbs. At the time, my van was fully loaded with the max gear, food, people, fuel, etc that I typically carry AND I threw in a couple hundred lbs of weight plates on free space in the floor to simulate an actual max load. So, 99% of the time I'm running around at more like 7500 lbs which puts me in a good spot with a 10k winch, especially with a snatch block.

@no-one-in-particular - I should be clear, that so far, 100% of the time, my limiting factor off-road has been ground clearance, not lack of traction or recovery options. Previously, I was getting shutdown on some pretty basic roads due to clearance at my rockers and/or bike rack, usually when crossing water bars. The 33" tires, Agile lift, and bike rack upgrade have opened up a lot more options to me with the added bonus that the tires & suspension dramatically improve on-road performance. The winch is an insurance policy not yet leveraged and honestly, I hope I never use it!

Last edited:
I am an expediter who load range is between 0lbs and 3200lbs. John at Agile calculated and custom built a RIP suspension exactly for my particular needs.
RIP stands for Ride Improvement Package. To me, RIP means Rest In Peace as in rest in peace all the handling problems inherent to all Sprinters. No more violent side-by-side rocking leaving a driveway or riding down uneven pavement. No more being thrown all over the road from cross winds.
To all my Sprinter's suspension woes of the past I say rest in peace. To John I say thank you.

snoman71

I have also heard from numerous people who have install the Agile RIP ... the words "Love It" come into every conversation. It's definitely on my list and i have stopped looking for other possible solutions. All down to timing and finances and state of other build progress. Got my 12v beer cooler mocked over the weekend just need to install some brackets later today

BrandonPsrrish

@michaeldorian - I'm not certain to what extent the turning radius is or is not affected. I'm suspect a precision calculation would show a small difference. In use, the geometry alteration and/or addition of wheel spacers does not affect turning radius enough for it to be noticeable. Generally the concern with the geometry change is the angle on the CV's and the potential for accelerated wear. I have owned a few similarly modified vehicles and driven many miles without issue. I am on the fence on possibly adding the Van Compass parts to the front of my van to correct the CV angles.
Thanks for your contributions to this thread. Did you end up adding the Van Compass parts on your front end? I assume you had the coil over RIP kit? I have a NCVR 3500 2wd, and I was going to do the RIP kit but after more reading I am leaning towards VC stage 4.

Kirk

I have the Van Compass suspension on my van (have had it about 4 years) and just 2 weeks ago went down to Agile and had their Big Brake kit installed - the brakes are awesome and the shop did a great job.

paulheckel

I have the Van Compass suspension on my van (have had it about 4 years) and just 2 weeks ago went down to Agile and had their Big Brake kit installed - the brakes are awesome and the shop did a great job.
I've been investigating a couple of options for the big Brake Kit. My rig is the NVC3 MY 2009. Apparently you like the brakes? What year is your Sprinter? Did you do both front and rear?

Why would you not do both when you are there and have the chance? If these upgrades are as fantastic as they appear to be, it would seem to be an easy choice.

With my 06 T1N and weight just over 8,000 lbs, I have never felt the brakes were lacking. This includes a couple of times of slamming on the brakes with screeching tires. The abs is supposed to eliminate screeching, unless I am misinformed, with could easily be the case.

Not having a comparison to judge this upgrade with, leaves me open to better braking the next time I need brakes. Thanks to all here, every day.

paulheckel

Why would you not do both when you are there and have the chance? If these upgrades are as fantastic as they appear to be, it would seem to be an easy choice.

With my 06 T1N and weight just over 8,000 lbs, I have never felt the brakes were lacking. This includes a couple of times of slamming on the brakes with screeching tires. The abs is supposed to eliminate screeching, unless I am misinformed, with could easily be the case.

Not having a comparison to judge this upgrade with, leaves me open to better braking the next time I need brakes. Thanks to all here, every day.
An additional $2000 + install cost is a factor. And I may not even have the option for either of the the Agile kits. Looks like they do not fit a 2009 but need to confirm. Which leaves me with Kerma. They only offer the front. https://kermatdi.com/i-2817-new-upgraded-mercedes-sprinter-brakes-6-piston-kit.html#!year=2009||make=MERCEDES-BENZ

GVW on my rig is 8500 and I may occasionally choose to tow a 3200lb wrangler or a motorcycle trailer. I've towed on mountain grades that have tested my GX460 brakes.

Simply exploring the options.

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
An additional $2000 + install cost is a factor. And I may not even have the option for either of the the Agile kits. Looks like they do not fit a 2009 but need to confirm. Which leaves me with Kerma. The only offer the front. https://kermatdi.com/i-2817-new-upgraded-mercedes-sprinter-brakes-6-piston-kit.html#!year=2009||make=MERCEDES-BENZ

GVW on my rig is 8500 and I may occasionally choose to tow a 3200lb wrangler or a motorcycle trailer. I've towed on mountain grades that have tested my GX460 brakes.

Simply exploring the options.
Re the Kerma brakes be sure to read the wheel requirements:

“Fits: 17in Black Rhino Arsenal Only with 16mm spacers and all 18in black rhino wheels for NCV3 Platform 2007-2018 and 2019+ VS30.”

Last edited:

paulheckel

Re the Kerma brakes be sure to read the wheel requirements.
I have Voxx 17 x 8 w/40mm offset. Assuming that I would need to run spacers. Reached out to them to confirm they're needed with my offset. I just downloaded the Agile install PDF and I may be in luck with my 2009. The Alcon PDF says (906) NCV3 Model Yr.2006-18. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Top Bottom