Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > User Reference

Old 10-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
bstory

Default Newer forum users: learn to use the search feature

This is a heads up for new forum users: almost every topic in conversions has multiple interesting and informative threads from many years of users's experience. Early forum users were serious DIY'ers, so some of the best advice may come from these guys in older threads.

If you can't find what you need using "Search Forums" then try the search field below "Search Forums" - "Google Search." It is set up to search the forum but you may get a few results from off the forum first. Just keep looking through the results and you will find every thread/post with your key words. I have found this feature to be very useful and can spend way too much time just reading old threads, remembering how things got figured out and how little I knew when I got started in 2009.

If you post lots of specific questions that could be easily answered by using this feature then you will get either: answers mainly from other new users and/or quick answers from the old timers who wish you would do a little homework, or no answers by people who are tired of that question.

Also very helpful and time-saving for everyone are the "sticky" posts at the top of each section of the forum. Those who posted the sticky posts put a fair amount of effort into the topics and trying to explain them.
bstory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bstory For This Useful Post:
Hellosprinter (05-29-2017), klansing (07-25-2017), Refuge (01-17-2017), Zebebedee (03-22-2017)
Old 10-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 10,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
Default Re: Newer forum users: learn to use the search feature

I find that using the advanced search to key in on specific sections eg.- NCV3, T1N, Conversion helps to narrow down the received hits.

I was using the Google option for a while. Lately I've been more sticking to the search options within Sprinter-source. An odd Google result is that sometimes the Sprinter-source hits will show as "archived". Using the titles to search within Sprinter-source will show that those same threads/posts are current and active.

3 letter words/acronyms eg. - EGR, DPF, ECM seem to work better in an advanced search than they do in the general search box. That may be an assumption on my part though.

Choosing the proper key words can be a challenge. I avoid using too many key words at once. Less can be more. Typically I limit my key words to 3. If that doesn't get me what I'm looking for I will often remove one and add another rather than lengthening the string.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Some people have 10 years experience, others just 1 year 10 times.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Hellosprinter (05-29-2017), klansing (07-25-2017)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:11 AM   #3
veggiePNW
'05 2500 158WB

...is the google search gone?

I used that mostly, but now use the advanced search, but I have had issues with it actually pointing me to the location in the thread that contains the search words. Say I search for "submersible pump" I get some results, click on it, and its the front page of a very long (and usually useful and awesome!) build thread.... but then I have to "search thread" for the same term to try and find where in the thread the pump was discussed. Even that doesn't always work for some reason....

bring back to the google! it would always land me right on the *post* that had the info I was seeking...

cheers
Erik
veggiePNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 5,058 Times in 3,756 Posts

the forum Advanced search allows you to show the results as a list of individual posts instead of simply whole threads.

If you're actually at Google, you can use the URL argument to focus its attention here:

[ EGR defeat URL:sprinter-source.com ]

--dick

Last edited by autostaretx; 04-03-2018 at 02:49 AM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
veggiePNW (04-04-2018)