ultra touch denim insulation

myhangar

I'm insulating my sprinter with it now. Easy to work with. No itching. Also using the sound deadening underlay material they sell. Has made a big difference in noise reduction.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I had a bunch left over after installing in a room remodel so I filled the fiberglass overcab area with it to cut down on heat from that severely sun-exposed area of the RV. Problem is it's 4" thick. Few places where you can take advantage of it. I put it behind the Microwave and now I am thinking I might be blocking airflow around it... It's also kind of dust making, the fabric dust is crazy, but only during install. And working with it is SO MUCH nicer than working with fiberglass...

-Randy

autostaretx

Erratic Member
has anyone found a way to buy this other that the "case" quantity offered in the link?
If you look along the right margin of that page, you'll see other put-ups.
One is a 6-pack of 16 inch by 48 inch pieces for $36
http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTou...ct-3-_-204082522-_-202710055-_-N#.UpK8_uI0y2A

Given the "case" of the first page, i happened to see the individual 8-packs at Lowe's this afternoon (before seeing this thread). So i'm sure you can get 8 *pieces* of the 24x93 batting (thus 16*8=128 sq ft) as a single purchaseable package.

Likewise, this is a single 48x75 inch piece foil-covered for $28: http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTou...ot-Water-Heater-Blanket-60301-48752/202710039
... it's a water-heater blanket.

--dick

Last edited:

rexagon

found a product here in Houston called Bonded Logic which is treated denim also. It works great as sound deadening as well. Used a little spray foam for filling in tight places. Used 1in foam board with foil on one side for roof to get a good radiant barrier. Van is really very comfortable.

sunnyside

I grabbed a piece at Lowes and submerged it in water and found it was like a sponge, made me very concerned about condensation issues.

turnstyler

I thinking that the water heater blankets would be best.
And possibly use foil tape on all exposed edges to seal the denim inside a full vapor barrier.

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
I grabbed a piece at Lowes and submerged it in water and found it was like a sponge, made me very concerned about condensation issues.
How does fiberglass or Thinsulate insulation do submerged in water? And is condensation a given issue when a van is properly vented?

sunnyside

How does fiberglass or Thinsulate insulation do submerged in water? And is condensation a given issue when a van is properly vented?
I can't tell you that but the piece of denim insulation I was experimenting with took a very long time to dry out, just like levies hanging on a clothes line.

To be fair I have not tried this yet with any other material, I have been in search for a substitute for the EnGuard product, [now discontinued] noted on this forum.

Last edited:

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
I can't tell you that but the piece of denim insulation I was experimenting with took a very long time to dry out, just like levies hanging on a clothes line.
...To be fair I have not tried this yet with any other material, I have been in search for a substitute for the EnGuard product, [now discontinued] noted on this forum.
Good point, batting of any kind might retain some (trapped) moisture for a long time once it gets wet, even open to moving air (as you noted).

If the spec calls for fast drying after getting wet, though... wouldn't the best choice be something else (more expensive) like a form of dry air trapped in sealed bubbles, i.e. closed cell foam or layers of bubble wrap? And to dry that stuff quickly enough might require free air circulation around it?

I thought the point of infilling behind panels with batting was to deprive that space of circulating air exchange, to create trapped still pockets of "dead air" that generally may not create "wetness" condensation? Especially if there is some ventilation (in the living space) to outside air, and use of dry heat (versus sleeping with a team of sled dogs, or boiling water on a propane stove inside the van).

I'm not arguing, just curious to learn about this stuff. :idunno:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Thinsulate has large content of olefin fibers which are highly hydrophobic; they don’t absorb water.

Denim insulation has a lot of cotton fibers which are highly hydrophilic; absorb water just like diapers. Using Denim needs some water barrier on the inside to prevent water from condensation getting into cotton fibers.

George.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/hydrophobic-and-hydrophilic-explained-0716.htmlI http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ECIE20S4K7000000_nid=56FGBL1NQRbeK6B2TWB8MXgl

JJolls

'14 170 4cyl Crew
Enguard is still available... go online to InsulationMaterials.com. I just ordered and received it last week. Apparently they bought out what was left from the plant in NC.

Cost was about 5$ more than comparable sized kraft-faced fiberglass at my local big box store, and shipping was about $45 per bundle. You have to call them and find about shipping, because their website quotes a very large amount. They would up shipping it greyhound, and it arrived a couple of days later undamaged. They are located in Peoria, IL.

Very nice people to deal with... ask for Ryan.

wlauberds

I used it on my van build. Super easy to work with. I used spray adhesive and glued it to the fatmat sound dampener. I recommend it.

synergy_58

2009 Navion and 2015 Crew
Enguard is still available... go online to InsulationMaterials.com. I just ordered and received it last week. Apparently they bought out what was left from the plant in NC.

Cost was about 5$ more than comparable sized kraft-faced fiberglass at my local big box store, and shipping was about $45 per bundle. You have to call them and find about shipping, because their website quotes a very large amount. They would up shipping it greyhound, and it arrived a couple of days later undamaged. They are located in Peoria, IL.

Very nice people to deal with... ask for Ryan.
Is that what its called "Enguard"? I searched Enguard on their www site but it doesn't come up.
What is it made of?

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Enguard is made from recycled polyester material to the best of my knowledge. If you can find it I can recommend it for its ease of use, cuts with an electric carving knife and has no irritating fibers. I was an early adopter of the product, called the sales rep and asked him where I could purchase it. He asked how much I needed and sent both 2" and 3-1/2 for free!

The 3-1/2 is R-11 to be used between studs, not sure what the 2" was for, maybe ducts or water heaters. It can also be cut into thin strips and pushed with a piece of romex into all sorts of small, inaccessible spaces, such as the rear doors on a high roof T1N and other internal bracing in the van.

Gary

Top Bottom