Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
fisjon

Default Re: Is this a bad thrust bearing?

This sounds to me like a detached or loose finger/s on the pressure plate. A loose/damaged finger will flap about at idle but will stop rattling as soon as you press the clutch pedal because the bearing is pushing on the fingers to open the clutch. When you are motoring along the higher engine speed rotational forces will contain any loose debris and steady any damaged fingers and the noise will go away.
Unless it is a large piece of debris it probably won't cause a problem. I have a bit of clutch clatter on my old 2.9/5pot 312d. It doesn't worry me!
fisjon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fisjon For This Useful Post:
Wanted (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
CharlesinGA

If a very light touch of the clutch pedal stops the noise, then its the throwout bearing (what you are referring to as the thrust bearing) they can be dry and rattle, and pressing them tightly to the clutch makes them quiet-en up. If you need a fully depressed clutch pedal for the noise to stop, then it is the transmission innards rotating that is causing it, as Dennis noted. Could be any gear or bearing on the input shaft or counter shaft/lay shaft/cluster gear (whatever you call it in your part of the world).

By all means get the fluid checked/changed or you could destroy the transmission.

Charles
lindenengineering (11-26-2017), Wanted (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
Wanted

Well I made it the 1500km back to Spain without much issue. Will get the noise checked out tomorrow. Parked up the van last night and went to check around things today, my girlfriends dad turned on the car to check it out and started revving it a few times. We then all listened for the noise but it wasn't so bad (typically worse after the van has been running for a while). But all of a sudden we noticed a bit of smoke or something smouldering under the drivers side headlight behind the bumper. No idea what it is, disconnected the battery and it seemed to stop - __-' no idea what it is but any white smouldering smoke has to be coming from some sort of electrical cable nearby under the headlight, doesn't seem normal lol
Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #14
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,892 Times in 5,530 Posts

Remember!
Electrical wiring is made with smoke built into it.
Depending upon the current and the size of the cable, the right circumstances, and the smoke may be let out.

This can be quite spectacular at times , so the moral of the story is DON'T let the smoke out!
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Wanted (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 12:46 AM   #15
DesertAdventures

Another option I've found useful is to take a piece of wood/pipe/stethoscope etc and check around to try and isolate where noise is coming from.

PS: Congrats on making it home!

*If buying on Amazon please remember to click banner found on most pages or CLICK HERE it supports the Sprinter-Forum

Download Sprinter Manuals 02-06 T1N, 901, 903 *Thanks to Jens Moller & Arnie_Oli T1N Service Scans PDF
DesertAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:37 AM   #16
ECU

Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,006 Posts

That smoke could be the Espar Aux Heater.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #17
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,329 Times in 4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECU View Post
If the smoke smelled like diesel instead of burned vinyl/plastic, then it's probably the espar coolant heater (Assuming you have one). Might be a good sign, as many don't even try to run after a few years.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #18
Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
If the smoke smelled like diesel instead of burned vinyl/plastic, then it's probably the espar coolant heater (Assuming you have one). Might be a good sign, as many don't even try to run after a few years.
Thanks guys, that is exactly what it is. The thing sounds like a plane taking off when it's fully cranking. Don't know why or how it is in, other than its about -1 Celsius outside and maybe it starts below 0? There is a trail of smoke leaking through the cracks of the unit. Don't know how to control this thing or disconnect it. Might be one for YouTube
Old 11-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #19
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,329 Times in 4,645 Posts

There should be a timer on the dash, or a button under the aircon one. You can also just unplug it, remove the headlight for access. When working properly they are really nice in cold weather. There are some threads on it for your reading. I have a newer model of this heater for making.hot water and heating my engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
Wanted (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
There should be a timer on the dash, or a button under the aircon one. You can also just unplug it, remove the headlight for access. When working properly they are really nice in cold weather. There are some threads on it for your reading. I have a newer model of this heater for making.hot water and heating my engine.
Yup, you're absolutely right, there was an aircon style dial which had the heater on/off thing on it (seperate to the smart select control thing). Was able to turn it off and will replace it with a new D4 later on during the build as I've heard the OEM ones are terrible. Just in a process of diagnosing any noticeable issues at the moment and this forum has been such a huge help.

I went out and tested all the 4x4 again this morning. I think I may have an issue with the rear diff lock engaging. I press the button to engage 4x4 and the amber light comes on, followed by the red light. I then press the button to engage low range (just to make sure its working), and the same thing. The amber light comes on, followed by the red light. But then I press the rear diff lock button, the amber light comes on but no red light ever appears. Not sure what is going on there. Any ideas?