Converting Dodge to Mercedes Grill P1

Mib4840

One word of caution on the valance. I missed one photo that michaelrking showed and I broke the tabs on the outside corner of the valance because I did not know they were clips.

Mib4840

I found that to remove the double sided tape it is best to use the 3M Adhesive Cleaner, it's not called Remover any more. I tried the heat gun and that just melted the adhesive and made a worse mess. WD40 worked but not as good as the 3M. I opened the hood and then put a towel across the top of the grill and then lowered the hood on the towel but did not let it latch, this keeps the 3M off the new grill. Then I grabbed a spray can of the 3M and sprayed just enough that it soaked the adhesive and foam. I let it sit for a minute or two and then used paper towels to start wiping it off. I went through several paper towels doing it this way but it was easy. If you just wipe a couple of times and then find a clean place on the paper towel it seems to come off faster. Keep the area you are working on wet with the 3M. I actually ended up using very little 3M once I was done.

Mib4840

Just realized I forgot to add the Mercedes medallion to the top of the hood, add 2 minutes to the job total. I measured the distance from the bottom lip of the hood to the bottom of the medallion on a 2013 and it was 3 inches, just FYI.

bcr8d

I have an Itasca Navion, so I only need the grill. He wasn't sure on labor and didn't think I'd need a new valance since it appeared to be the same part number to him - not sure about that.

Do I need a new valance? If so, then it will have to be painted. Would be great to re-use my existing one somehow.

Neil2

Neil2
Just ordered the parts (Thanks for the PDF link!) for my 2010/2011 Freightliner badged Sprinter:

The only part I am having trouble sourcing is the steering wheel emblem. Per my MB Parts buddy, it's a full cover which is 3-figures. I did find this - has anyone here used it and had success?

https://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/products/sprinter-steering-wheel-badge

Thanks,
I ordered similar off eBay this year and it was an absolute PoS. Too thin and designed to fit a T1N apparently. eBay had to initiate the refund since seller never responded. I filed down my NCV3 in an attempt to make it fit. The only other source for R&R the emblem alone was more expensive and after calling the source I was never convinced they weren't one and the same on the back end. :2cents:

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
SNIP......

The only part I am having trouble sourcing is the steering wheel emblem. Per my MB Parts buddy, it's a full cover which is 3-figures. I did find this - has anyone here used it and had success?

https://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/products/sprinter-steering-wheel-badge

Thanks,
I had the 'conversion' performed in 2011, after an altercation with Bambi's Mom, as posted earlier in this thread. The steering wheel badge I used is similar (identical?) to the one in your link, but there is no way that I paid anywhere near $35 for the badge. Sorry, but I cannot recall where I bought it. Maybe China?

Notwithstanding Neil2's post, I'm quite happy with the badge, especially since I had to remove it from the original steering wheel and reinstall it on the new cover after the airbag recall was performed.

Attachments

Neil2

Neil2
What is the emblem made of in your pic? The one I bought was thin aluminum and essentially a one time application given the deformity it acquired in removal.

(ANYONE HAVE THE PART NUMBER FOR THE CLIP/TWO PRONG TAB TO CONNECT THE VALANCE TO THE FENDERS?)

So I just completed this conversion this past weekend.

What a breeze! Took all of about 30 mins.

With that said the fenders were attached to the valance with a bolt and nut rather than he two prong clip that should be there.

When reinstalling I did not rebolt each side of the valance (just the 4 bolts under the grill).

It has held however I would like to find the two clips to use (rather than zip tieing or bolting them down)

Would anyone happen to have a part number or link?

Top Bottom