Goodyear Dura Trac review 15,000 mile

derekhski

I invested in a set of Goodyear Dura Trac's in December 2013. At the same time I upgraded to 16" wheels. I bought the 225/75R16E 115Q tires with the want of higher weight rating for ease of conscious, 16" for large tire selection, and the Dura Trac's for a snowflake / mountain rated tire.
These are mounted on my T1N, 118WB passenger van. I use it as a daily driver and for all things, from hauling sod and moving friends furniture (and our own) to family trips.
I would say that 99% has been on pavement driving, especially since 2014-15 winter in the Pacific NW simply did not occur. The 2013-14 winter we say 8" of snow in the city, and multiple trips to Mt Hood for Skiing. The van handled everything that came its way with ease. I have the dream that I will be on forest roads, back roads, gravel, dirt, sand, but that has not occurred much, as we just have not gotten away as often as wanted. (hopefully that will change).

So far, I would say I'm completely happy with the tire selection.

1. 15,000 miles, three rotations
2. Tires look to still have plenty of life left (see pictures)
3. Air pressure, started at 48F/56R, but now run Front 42, Rear 48 (best ride)
4. Noise Level, normal to moderate

I have no issues with the handling of the tires, They handle as well as any tire I have driven on any vehicle. In comparison on this vehicle, that I can't give. The vehicle had an old set of tires when I bought it in April 2013, changed those for a set of "C" rate tires when stuck in a snow storm in Western Nebraska (only thing I could find in 15"), and drove those (3,000) till I ungraded to the Dura Trac's.

I wanted the "E" tire for peace of mind and that if something ever happens, our insurance company can't scape goat responsibility if by some chance they say "C" rated tires are not meeting the vehicles tire rating, we won't cover anything.

Don't know if this info will be helpful to any. just want to give my feed back on these tires.

Here are some photo of the tire wear for reference.

Attachments

derekhski

Gas mileage(?) I get 21-22 mpg on average from a tank @565m / 26g I do check it with a scan gauge at times and log all my fill ups and for over all driving I'm getting 21- 22 mpg, I do not think I had any drop in fuel consumption switching the tires. Keep in mind this is a little 118, standard roof and I drive it like at time like I own it, and other times like it is a rental (my bad). I do use the shift control for most of my driving in the city and when needed for hwy driving.

derekhski

related to the mileage question, I just filled up a couple days ago. Ran 276.2 miles on 26.767 gallons at fill up = 21.52 mpg. This was mixed driving, including 2 trips to the beach, 1.5 away, and commuting to work 10 miles each way. Disclosure, this could be off by a little, as I run 16" tires on a van built for 15"....(?)

Pnwsquid

What pressures are you running? I put 215 85 duratracs in my sprinter recently and they seem to really wander at freeway speeds. I understand the narrow tires are more prone, but I have been able to eliminate most of the problem by running them at lower pressures than I'd prefer..

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
What pressures are you running? I put 215 85 duratracs in my sprinter recently and they seem to really wander at freeway speeds. I understand the narrow tires are more prone, but I have been able to eliminate most of the problem by running them at lower pressures than I'd prefer..
on my van; A 6.lb psi increase in the dual rears causes the vehicle to be uneasy/search/wander.

3 x's MB of Rockland courtesies tire checks; .. they over inflate the rears by 6psi; they put 61psi all around. I can sense it 1/4 mile from there door; when pulling onto the highway; the van over active steers, all the way home or until I return the four rear 215/85R16 to 55psi. ; then the van handling returns to very easygoing handling.

three sense ...

Last edited:

derekhski

I run 42 front and 48 rear. I'm happy with the ride, keep in mind, I run a little 118"

Pnwsquid

This is awesome info and clearly my problem. I need to run lower pressure in the rear - was running 70psi on a 2500 (westfalia conversion actually calls for 55psi front and 79psi rear). I'll pressure down and see how it goes.

Part of my confusion is that looking at goodyear's pressure chart, my tires (also 215 85 16 load E) "should" be inflated to well below what an E rated tire is supposed to be at considering the weight. Front axle is about 3400 rear axle is about 4500.

derekhski

I recently lowered my air pressure to 38 front/rear. It's been about five days with limited freeway driving. I did such as I saw one of our Aussie friends running 30/35 on his rig, plus my little 118 was feeling pretty stiff in the back end
So far I like the results, doesn't feel squirrelly or loose and the ride seams smoother. Hopefully I will not change the wear on the tires? Should increase my traction/footprint a little for winter driving. Have not made it to the ski hill yet but it looks like Mother Nature is going to let Hood have snow this year.
Keep in mind with this info, I drive a lightly loaded 118 passenger wagon, your experience may vary. Parking is never an issue in a 118

Last edited:

pdxkid

currently vanless :-(
Hey derekhski,

What wheels are you running on your 118" Are they 5 bolt" We have a 118 as well and want to size up wheels and tires next year.

FWIW, I have the Duratracs on my 1985 Toyota 4x4 pickup and I LOVE them! Great wear so far, excellent in the snow, mud and gravel.

derekhski

Hey derekhski,

What wheels are you running on your 118" Are they 5 bolt" We have a 118 as well and want to size up wheels and tires next year.

FWIW, I have the Duratracs on my 1985 Toyota 4x4 pickup and I LOVE them! Great wear so far, excellent in the snow, mud and gravel.
I have the Warrior 375's 16" picked them up via America's tire for less than $85.00 each on a special. I have no complaints. you can see the spec's on Eurocampers.com

Yes, they are 5 / 130 bolt.

derekhski

First Winter test, happy with the result. Took at 88 year old friend up to Timberline at Mt hood on Sunday 19th. They, Timberline name a run after him, JOZSI.

It was only he and I in the 118, but I did have two 40 pound bags of gravel in the Back, but not much gear. The van did great, a little slip here and their, but my Subaru would have broke free in the same circumstances, such as accelerating to pass the snow plow. After some 15,000 miles of dry pavement, happy to see them track well in the snow, including a few stops on the grade in the parking lot, and restarting without issues.

Will test more this holiday week with a trip over the Santiam to Bend for Christmas, with a short top at Hoodoo for a quick ski on Wednesday Morning..... Hoodoo is a great little hill, spanks most of Hood terrain wise for advance skiers.

have a great holiday all, Derek

Pnwsquid

My 215/85 pizza cutter duratracs are unbelievable in the snow. I'm convinced my sprinter with these (granted, I have lots of weight in the back) is better in the snow than my AWD x5 with all-seasons.

derekhski

Got in a good long drive on snow Thursday 24 December. Driving Santiam Pass from Portland to Bend OR. We had packed snow from Detroit Lake to Sisters about 60 miles. I ran 32 rear and 36 front, yup lower in the back. The Dura Tracs ran really well. We were able to keep a higher pace than most vehicles at 45 mph and passed multiple cars, pick ups, suv's on the up hill side. Van broke free on a corner or two, but easily steered into and corrected, traction regained with minimal slowing. I believe in aggressive uphill driving as your fighting gravity but passive downhill. Van handled great, all days in Bend spent driving around the buttes and inner city no hiccups on traction
I'm impressed with the Dura Tracs for their winter traction after a good 18,000 plus of paved driving, they seem to still dig in and track in the snow. I did when no other vehicles were present do a couple stop tests, applying the brakes aggressively, all but one instance the tires grabbed well and slowed the vehicle quickly. The one that didn't we were on packed ice, that I was already at reduced speed and wanted to know how icy it was, it was ice! Tired tracked but we slid for some time with the ABS going crazy.
Hope this info helps others

thlevy48

Appreciae the info. I used to run Duratracs on my 4x4 PU and have been considering them for the rear of my '08 3500.

derekhski

Another winter update. We had a dusting of snow in the city of Portland, this causes chaos. It was followed by at minor ice storm, which I respect the ice as it truly does cause chaos. I chained up the rear end for a 1/2 mile drive out of our neighborhood, where once on main road all was gone.
Second, as we are having a good to great snow year, I've made a few more trips to the ski hill. Super happy with the Dura Tracs. I have yet to have a single issue with traction to and from the hill. I currently have no additional weight in the rear, other than seats and gear. It is a 118, so traction may vary for others
All in all after some 18,000 miles the Dura Tracs are still working very well in snow, I'm impressed as I was concerned after so much pavement driving they would lose their gripping action, which they have not

derekhski

Just a quick update, I’m now at 240,000 miles and I think I bought the Duratracs at between
190,000-195,000 miles so I’ve got some 45,000 miles on them. I have purchased some new
Falken Wildpeaks ( got all four for sub 425.00 ) which is far less than the Duratracs at snot $195
Each. I have to say the Duratracs ran great, I just have a budget that the new tires meet.
If you’re thinking of Duratracs I give them a big thumbs up. I will run mine thru the rest of summer and
Change over in the fall.

Last edited:

Top Bottom