Does anyone use a Keurig to make coffee in their Unity?

hoosierrun

For this record this solution ONLY works for those with the 1000W Magnum pure sine wave inverter. The Nespresso machines do not work with modified sine wave (MSW) inverters. I have the Magnum MM1212 1200W inverter and discovered that a Nespresso machine will not work at all on my inverter power the hard way. I did some research after getting back home from that first trip trying this and found out Nespresso acknowledges this is not a workable combination.
However, a regular Keurig (not a one cup) will work fine on the Magnum1212 modified sine wave inverter. We have been doing this for a couple of years now. The Magnum1212 also has short term specs that exceed the continuous rating. Note that we switched to Battleborn Lithiums this year, because using a Keurig continuously wears out lead-acid batteries much quicker. Lithium batteries are not affected by running them down to 30%.

What I noticed is that, according to my battery monitor, the peak draw from the Keurig is about 126 amps DC and that is for 30 to 45 seconds. It only heats what is needed to make a single cup of coffee. Once the first cup is made, it heats and stores heated water for the 2nd cup, but water in the side reservoir is not heated. If I know that the last cup has been made, I just hit the power off button to avoid heating the water for the next cup.

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
However, a regular Keurig (not a one cup) will work fine on the Magnum1212 modified sine wave inverter. We have been doing this for a couple of years now. The Magnum1212 also has short term specs that exceed the continuous rating. Note that we switched to Battleborn Lithiums this year, because using a Keurig continuously wears out lead-acid batteries much quicker. Lithium batteries are not affected by running them down to 30%.

What I noticed is that, according to my battery monitor, the peak draw from the Keurig is about 126 amps DC and that is for 30 to 45 seconds. It only heats what is needed to make a single cup of coffee. Once the first cup is made, it heats and stores heated water for the 2nd cup, but water in the side reservoir is not heated. If I know that the last cup has been made, I just hit the power off button to avoid heating the water for the next cup.
I was hoping that the Nespresso would be within the working specs of the inverter but the issue was the modified sine wave itself. The minute you plug the Nespresso machine in it is supposed to start it's warmup cycle. In this case the lights on the machine start blinking but a rather notable howling sound comes out of the inverter while the overhead lights in the galley started acting like strobe lights for a couple of seconds before the inverter breaker blows. For the sake of being thorough I did unplug everything in sight and tried a second time with the Nespresso but the results were identical. It was only after I got home and back to an internet connection that I found out Nespresso acknowledges their incompatability with modified sine wave power.

I don't drink drip coffee so for me a Keurig is not a useful solution. I ended up going with a ROK espresso hand press and either use an electric hot water kettle or use my stovetop as a hot water source.

This thread is for Keurig fans and I only add the info for the Nespresso machines since someone else mentioned it as a possible solution. I had specifically purchased the Nespresso machine for use in my Unity and had no use for it at home so wanted to warn others who might try to follow that path as well if you don't have a pure sine wave inverter.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Tested my Nespresso Inissia expresso maker today. Rated at 1200 watts but actually pulls 925 watts at 110 volts for less than 20 seconds. I am running it on a Go Power 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
No, it isn't. There are at least a dozen methods of making a single cup of coffee that do not require reheating water a 2nd or 3rd time that also do not require any single-use plastic products.

10 billion K Cups a year, in landfills or the ocean - Is not "environmental".
Just be a argumentative Crow..... In a Crow's world, you heat ONE cup or mug of water once and make it into coffee. That's all you get ONE CUP HEATED. Now if you drink it and make a second cuppa, then you have made two. Even my big fat Keruig with the tank only heats and maintains about a mug of water at a time. And it has a timer so you can keep it warm.... saving the energy of a 'complete heat'.

Everything is polluting. Everything.

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Not to flog a dead horse here, but I spent two days trying to reach Cuisinart to ask if they knew the startup wattage draw on their DCC-450 that has been mentioned here as drawing only 450W.

Here was their response (it took about a week)...

"Valued Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. Here is all the info we have on the DCC-450BK.

Hz-60
Volts-120
Amps-4.60
Watts-550 "

That's all they know! I did get them on the phone after waiting on hold for thirty minutes. They did not understand the question.

I, myself, decided to buy an inexpensive Percolator that will work on the gas stove. I remembered starting my coffee habit on a Percolator-sourced brew. Coffee really hasn't ever tasted the same. I hope those memories prove true.

Msmoto

IMO the discussion of coffee making can never be put to rest. My experience suggests that the truck stops have the coffee making nearly perfected. I am talking about Petro, Flying J, Love's, etc., but can attest to one of the finest cups* of coffee having just been consumed yesterday from A & A Truck Stop, 80 Dixon Run Rd, Jackson, OH 45640. It was fabulous, and I drink my coffee black.

However, if I really want consistent coffee, a French press seems the way to go, also, using a deionized water has in my experience proven to not add to the flavor via minerals in the water.

I do think Leisure Travel Vans has been listening to someone as the latest models, have a 2000w Pure Sine wave inverter and AGM coach batteries.

And to add a note....
Do you know how helpless you feel if you have a full cup of coffee in your hand and you start to sneeze? - Jean Kerr

*cup = 24 oz.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Do you know how helpless you feel if you have a full cup of coffee in your hand and you start to sneeze?
yes done that :lol: a real wrist wetter; to get a temporary sneeze suppressed - [bite your tongue] !

evanssophiya

The problem of non-recyclable plastic is really huge. Personally, I try to participate in measures and not to aggravate the situation as much as possible in my power (for example, I always ask you to pour coffee into my glass, but I do not take disposable ones).

Speaking of coffee. really want to know your opinion. What is better to buy a coffee machine or coffee maker for home? I’m just not a special gourmet and don’t really understand the taste, so I would like to know if the taste of coffee from these two machines is very different.

Sundance

No, it isn't. There are at least a dozen methods of making a single cup of coffee that do not require reheating water a 2nd or 3rd time that also do not require any single-use plastic products.

10 billion K Cups a year, in landfills or the ocean - Is not "environmental".
We only use totally compostable K cups in our Keurig

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Drip coffee maker and percolator in the Wonder. We seem to like it. Never any left in either...

Agree with 1 Cup = 24 Oz.

geds

2018 Serenity
The problem of non-recyclable plastic is really huge. Personally, I try to participate in measures and not to aggravate the situation as much as possible in my power (for example, I always ask you to pour coffee into my glass, but I do not take disposable ones).

Speaking of coffee. really want to know your opinion. What is better to buy a coffee machine or coffee maker for home? I’m just not a special gourmet and don’t really understand the taste, so I would like to know if the taste of coffee from these two machines is very different.
At home I have a coffee drip brewer that allows me to one cup at a time as my wife doesn't drink coffee. I use a gold filter, so I just rinse it in the sink after the brewing is finished. The coffee maker also has a pot with a larger filter basket for when we have guests over. Rather than buy filters for it, I just tear a napkin and place it over the gold filter to double filter and make clean up easier.

I buy my coffee from a local shop and have it preground for a drip maker. Easy-peazy. I have a grinder, but stopped using it as I really couldn't tell enough difference in the taste for the effort and mess.

I don't take the brewer with me in the RV because space is too precious and its just me drinking it. So I use a press in the RV.

Msmoto

As a Nespresso user, I discovered last week in the morning, if I have been using batteries all night, TV, etc, and the furnace is running in my Leisure Travel Van, using the Nespresso with only the inverter may result in the inverter shutting off due to the low battery voltage.

So, when running anything else which drains power, I first fire up the generator in the morning before turning on my Nespresso. Or, I make "cowboy coffee" in a pot on the stove top, then strain the grounds out when I pour a cup. All good!

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
My Nespresso pulls about 600 watts for a total of 21 seconds. Not very much power compared to my microwave which pulls almost 2000 watts. No inverter or battery issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
We used a stove top percolator, but now we use an AeroPress. Easier to clean. No electricity required for either method.

evanssophiya

At home I have a coffee drip brewer that allows me to one cup at a time as my wife doesn't drink coffee. I use a gold filter, so I just rinse it in the sink after the brewing is finished. The coffee maker also has a pot with a larger filter basket for when we have guests over. Rather than buy filters for it, I just tear a napkin and place it over the gold filter to double filter and make clean up easier.

I buy my coffee from a local shop and have it preground for a drip maker. Easy-peazy. I have a grinder, but stopped using it as I really couldn't tell enough difference in the taste for the effort and mess.

I don't take the brewer with me in the RV because space is too precious and its just me drinking it. So I use a press in the RV.
Thank you very much for your reply! On the topic of what to take with me in RV, I agree with you. There you really try to save every centimeter :)

And about the coffee maker. At the weekend I read reviews about dif. coffee "devices". And I liked the models of dual coffee maker (the information is here if someone of you has not heard about it). Can anyone else give advice on such devices? And maybe I'll finally decide on this and buy it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom