2007 Dodge Sprinter - Exhaust Theft

My 2007 Dodge Sprinter work van was broken into a couple of weeks ago and I didn't realize until today that they had cut off a portion of the exhaust system along with breaking into the vehicle and stealing several thousand dollars worth of tools. My dealer (2nd shop) called today to inform me that the repairs to the exhaust would top $4200.00. Can anyone give any information as to where the thieves are selling these parts? The Sprinter is obviously a unique vehicle and I find it odd that the thieves knew exactly what to carve out from my vehicle.

Believe it or not, I had to take it to a 2nd dealership because the check engine light continued to activate after the 1st dealer said it just needed to be reset and the condition was an anomaly. They (1st dealer) did mange to tell me that I had a bad tie rod (28,000 miles) that they replaced under warranty. The 2nd dealer said there is no way they should have missed the butchered exhaust system, especially after they said that it could be a problem with the diesel fuel system and to let them know if the condition re-occurred.

Is anyone else familiar with the exhaust system theft?

Thanks.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
My 2007 Dodge Sprinter work van was broken into a couple of weeks ago and I didn't realize until today that they had cut off a portion of the exhaust system along with breaking into the vehicle and stealing several thousand dollars worth of tools. My dealer (2nd shop) called today to inform me that the repairs to the exhaust would top $4200.00. Can anyone give any information as to where the thieves are selling these parts? The Sprinter is obviously a unique vehicle and I find it odd that the thieves knew exactly what to carve out from my vehicle.

Believe it or not, I had to take it to a 2nd dealership because the check engine light continued to activate after the 1st dealer said it just needed to be reset and the condition was an anomaly. They (1st dealer) did mange to tell me that I had a bad tie rod (28,000 miles) that they replaced under warranty. The 2nd dealer said there is no way they should have missed the butchered exhaust system, especially after they said that it could be a problem with the diesel fuel system and to let them know if the condition re-occurred.

Is anyone else familiar with the exhaust system theft?

Thanks.

They are after the platinum in the catalytic converter is why they go for the exhaust....sometimes they take the DPF, not knowing it is worthless as scrap, and that is close to $2000.00 I believe...

Plumbingsprinter,
Sorry to hear about your problems. I don't know the details. Is it possible they came back and got the exhaust parts after the first theft? Sometimes once they know you exist it's like a dog remembering where he found a scrap of food on a walk. They always recheck that place for more goodies the next time. Good luck. vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
A bakery here in Seattle has a fleet of Sprinters (5? 7?) that were parked in their lot on a busy, well-lit street.
One weekend (or perhaps just overnight?) 3 or 5 of them had their catalytic converters stolen.
People have had Tundra converters stolen while they've been watching a movie or at a swimming pool.
All it takes is a SawzAll and about a minute. Platinum value is about $100 to $200.

You can buy aftermarket security cages for them.

--dick

A bakery here in Seattle has a fleet of Sprinters (5? 7?) that were parked in their lot on a busy, well-lit street.
One weekend (or perhaps just overnight?) 3 or 5 of them had their catalytic converters stolen.

--dick
Dick,
Do Sprinter cat converters contain more platinum than other vehicles? I'm certain that the ground clearance and easy access is probably the biggest factor. Maybe that guy asking about lowering a Sprinter was on to something....

Thanks for info, I think.:cry: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Do Sprinter cat converters contain more platinum than other vehicles?
I have no idea. I'd guess "as little as possible".
I'm certain that the ground clearance and easy access is probably the biggest factor.
I fully agree. That fits the Tundra, too.
Maybe that guy asking about lowering a Sprinter was on to something....
Just take your wheels off at night...
--dick

Top Bottom