Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 03-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #11
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Default Re: Help... Destroyed our sink

Great info on how to make new countertop.

If you get a chance, would you mind posting a photo looking at the underneath of your new bathroom sink--especially the edge where the sliding door fits and the frame you mentioned (and same bolt attachments?).

Thanks.
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Wasaabi

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. Would also love to see pics top & bottom. The round shape and resulting added "counter" space sounds perfect. I wasn't sure how easy corian is to work with, having never done it before. Was thinking about this more and possibly trying marine grade plywood with several coats of poly. Might be a nice look with the SS sink and easier to work with.
Wasaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:03 AM   #13
discus
GA Westy

I will take pictures tomorrow. Corian is easy to work with. Much easier than plywood as far as Im concerned. you can use a jigsaw to cut the rough shape then practice on the piece you will throw away first. Any wood router will cut a nice edge, use a bit that has a bearing at the end and cut with an even slow speed and dont stop until you reach the other end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
discus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
Wasaabi

That is encouraging! I don't have a router but I do have a Dremel. Do you think I could work with that, or do I use this as the excuse to get a router?
Old 03-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #15
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Replacement sink and cabinet from Reimo (from James Cook Friends German forum:

http://forum.james-cook-freunde.de/v...hp?f=16&t=2537

Back then, seems Westy sink was still available for a price but another thread had folks looking to special order a minimum run of sinks from another source.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #16
discus
GA Westy

Here's the picture under the countertop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
discus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to discus For This Useful Post:
OldWest (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #17
Wasaabi

Discus, it looks like you took off the sink and just mounted a flat piece of coriander over the substructure underneath, so that no ridges were needed in the coriander, just the perimeter cut. Is that right?
Old 04-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #18
triple7

My sink is also starting to show hairline cracks, wanted to replace it with a SS triangle/corner sink, but have yet to find one. Maybe from an airplane lavatory? In the meantime, I found this on Amazon:

Ambassador Marine Oval Stainless Steel Sink

http://www.amazon.com/Ambassador-Mar.../dp/B00GZH5CV4

Outside Flange Dimensions 13 1/4in x 10 1/2in, looks like it might fit, but not sure until you make a template.
triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #19
Wasaabi

This one looks good: 8 inch round interior SS - Wayfair and a good price. I plan to work on this once we are back east. Can Discus or someone else confirm that all we need to do is take the existing sink off and place the Corian on top cut to the right size, with no ridges underneath?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #20
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

From looking at Discus' photo and my own Westy sink, looks like you can cut a piece of Corian and glue/adhere to the underlayment subframe. That subframe has the recessed groove for the top of sliding door.

I can see a tiny gap between that subframe and the curved lip of the one-piece sink overlapping and covering the subframe.

The sink is about 19" x 19" so could look for a 20" x 20" piece to cut down. Wouldn't be surprised if kitchen sink cutout leftover piece might work as kitchen sinks can be pretty big (especially farm/country apron ones).

Large tiles are often 20" x 20" but would be hard to cut (although some tile/countertop places could probably do). That would open up more possibilities than woodworking-compatible Corian/solid surfaces.

Weight is probably something to watch as the subframe doesn't look too thick.

Would be nice to have a complete integrated stainless steel sink like the original acrylic one, but would probably cost a lot to make. Same with a stainless steel showerpan.

Look forward to seeing what Wassabi and others do.