Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 02-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #31
Wasaabi

Default Re: Espar Heater Continued - Diagnostics Adapter

My setup is original Westy Espar with new (replaced) standard controller (which I was forced to do due to a controller burnout). This allows use of altitude compensator module with original low altitude fuel pump at all altitudes, no need to switch anything, always optimal fuel pump control based in atmospheric conditions. Also allows me to use D1000 controller. I am very happy with this setup. More $ upfront but the heat output is amazing and I don't have to think about it. Cost is not so bad for all those parts when considering the benefits.

For what it's worth, I've also heard multiple experiences with the single high altitude pump for all altitudes. Greg told me that is not a good setup and will cause problems (don't remember why). Yet people have had success with it, while some have not. Others seem to function with the low altitude pump at all altitudes with no problems. Go figure. I wonder if these variations in experiences are due to slight differences in the actual parts, or differences in installation. Espar is very specific about things like tubing, connections, pump angle, etc. Perhaps things not being quite right reveal themselves in more altitude sensitivity.
Wasaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:55 AM   #32
512Westy

Just had our espar fixed at Rixon Enterprises, Sandy, OR (just outside Portland). I had borrowed the digi Controller to attempt to read codes (thanks Mike!) but no luck, no diagnostics available. Tried resetting but no luck. So Rixon attempted with Edith but could not get any codes either. They said this is due to special james cook configured espar even tho they found two james cook choices on their Edith menu (neither worked).
They tested spinning the unit on the bench and found the motor bearing to be bad. Replaced blower motor unit and all worked again. Was glad they did not have to replace the ecu as we now retain our Westy controller function. I'd recommend these guys. They are the group who make the hydronic based combo heater (espar/electric) that is the base heater for sportsmobile, outside vans, etc. so have more experience with the hydronic heaters, but are totally Espar related. Thanks PNWsquid for the recommendation on this group!
512Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 512Westy For This Useful Post:
onemanvan (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 02:00 AM   #33
512Westy

Oh, and Jim Rixon said no issue at all with using the high altitude pump at all elevation. He said if he was to replace one of these D4 heaters in our van, he would put in a D2 as it would be worked harder at higher output level which is easier on these heaters. Our higher but capable heaters run too slow for their own health. So the high elevation pump puts out less btu's so run harder which is good.
512Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 512Westy For This Useful Post:
onemanvan (07-28-2016)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:18 PM   #34
onemanvan

If you purchase a Digi-Max D1000 it should include both the plug ( controller side) and receptacle ( harness side ) [6 pin rectangular ].

If needed a receptacle can be purchased separately from several different vendors - IE: Mouser.
Housing: 929504-2

Note: I'm fairly sure the aforementioned rectangular plug is NOT compatible with the Edith diagnostic tool... However - a resourceful Espar service center should be able to adapt their Edith diagnostic tool to the D1000 rectangular plug easier than they would with circular connector...

The circular connectors for the Westy Airtronic D4S can be ordered from Digi-Key - see attached invoice.

The attached image is representative of a diagnostic Y adapter. I've attached a wiring diagram for the Digi-Max - which doesn't have it's own power supply. That's why a second circular connector ( receptacle ) going to the Westy harness is necessary - IE: connection to battery plus and minus. Don't be confused about the brown/white wire. The Westy wire for ground IE: battery minus - is brown.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-10-13 at 3.13.19 PM.png (63.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-10-14 at 8.10.04 AM.png (44.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg espar diagnostic y adapter.jpg (52.6 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by onemanvan; 10-14-2018 at 07:21 PM.
onemanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onemanvan For This Useful Post:
CaptnALinTiverton (10-14-2018), OldWest (10-13-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #35
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

As mentioned previously, several Westy owners discovered that our Westy heater has a special computer program to communicate with our central computer console. If you replace the heater with a new one, it will not communicate with our central computer console.

BUT WAIT!

On the James Cook Friends Forum (if I'm understanding the translation correctly), someone is replacing their heater and another poster said some repar shop was able to reprogram/copy the Westy program on their new ECU to communicate with the central computer console. See the second post from BulliFan/Stefan:

http://forum.james-cook-freunde.de/v...hp?f=16&t=6288
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote