Espar Heater Continued - Diagnostics Adapter

grozier

Unless you have the connector to the box, it's probably easier to access the wiring by removing the driver's seat. Six Allen bolts, two screws, and one connector. A five minute job, described in the Westy manual.
Instead of removing the seat, you can remove the lower cushion. There is a metal catch directly under the cushion; you may have to use lever at the front left of the seat to slide it all the way forward to reach it.

Ted

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Posted before but don't know if this was in this thread. Think some of the info may be off (photos may have labelled pumps wrong).

If useful, maybe turn into a file here (can't seem to link or attach file).

Search for EsparofMichigan, Airtronic D 4S/hydronic D5 W Z in Westfalia - James Cook.

It's a 12 page document.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
So, in looking at some of the attached files from OneManVan, there looks like several variations of the 4, including our S model and a Plus model and a Camper model.

Wonder which ones are available as a good substitution for our S model (even if need to bypass our central computer console).

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
The controller (control unit?) part number 22 5101 00 17 01 from the 12 pager above is apparently unique to this version of Westfalia as someone in Europe was looking and could not find (from Mercedes either as there is also a Mercedes matching part number).

There is one British website which sells a Westfalia specific controller (control unit) with slightly different part number.

http://www.hallselectrical.co.uk/ecu-at-d4s-12v-westfalia.html

Presumably, this control unit is programmed to work with our windshield central computer console.

The D4 Plus version is supposed to have a larger motor according to one website--so can blow more air out. Maybe similar to our D4 S version?

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
On the EsparofMichigan.com site is a pdf document called "Review of Diagnostic Tools Available for Espar".

Document is a couple years old but seems to identify three tools: EDITH software on a computer, customized Digi-controller, and another tool.

Interesstingly, it seems to imply that a digi-controller is customized to be used as a diagnostic tool (versus all digi-controllers having this capability). Also, document refers to various model years, different adapters for use with various Espar models (with and without high altitude additions). Quite complicated.

Bottom line--diagnostic tools may consist of special programming.

This may explain why some folks have been able to use digicontrollers to reset---right custom programmed digicontroller, right wiring adapter, right ECU on Westy, etc. (Also, reports of resetting Espar heater may not all be Westy heaters?).

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
OldWest said "4. From experience, I do not think the high altitude pump works at all altitudes. May work for awhile. Seems the two pump setup works better."

I believe this is true from all my research of posts, especially the S/W forum on Yahoo Groups. Also, it showed that having two pumps was the only method that worked for Hi-Alt. That's why I installed the Hi-Alt pump in parallel with two position power switch. There were times when I forgot to switch the switch but I confirmed by my travels from -100+ to 10,000+ feet that the "switch pump at 5,000 feet" setup definitely works.

AL

Pnwsquid

"4. From experience, I do not think the high altitude pump works at all altitudes. May work for awhile. Seems the two pump setup works better."

"I believe this is true from all my research of posts, especially the S/W forum on Yahoo Groups."

I am currently using the high alt. pump at sea level with 100% function. I do notice a slight decrease in the temperature of the air from the ducts.

I have spoken on the phone with several techs at Espar of NA confirmed that running the high alt. pump at sea level will have no negative effect other than a slight reduced output (and actually create less soot).

Just my experience.

JoeHike

For the past two years, I also have been using a single, high altitude pump from sea level to 10,000 ft. Absolutely no problems. That's my experience.

Joe Hike
Westy 56

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
My setup is original Westy Espar with new (replaced) standard controller (which I was forced to do due to a controller burnout). This allows use of altitude compensator module with original low altitude fuel pump at all altitudes, no need to switch anything, always optimal fuel pump control based in atmospheric conditions. Also allows me to use D1000 controller. I am very happy with this setup. More $ upfront but the heat output is amazing and I don't have to think about it. Cost is not so bad for all those parts when considering the benefits.

For what it's worth, I've also heard multiple experiences with the single high altitude pump for all altitudes. Greg told me that is not a good setup and will cause problems (don't remember why). Yet people have had success with it, while some have not. Others seem to function with the low altitude pump at all altitudes with no problems. Go figure. I wonder if these variations in experiences are due to slight differences in the actual parts, or differences in installation. Espar is very specific about things like tubing, connections, pump angle, etc. Perhaps things not being quite right reveal themselves in more altitude sensitivity.

512Westy

Just had our espar fixed at Rixon Enterprises, Sandy, OR (just outside Portland). I had borrowed the digi Controller to attempt to read codes (thanks Mike!) but no luck, no diagnostics available. Tried resetting but no luck. So Rixon attempted with Edith but could not get any codes either. They said this is due to special james cook configured espar even tho they found two james cook choices on their Edith menu (neither worked).
They tested spinning the unit on the bench and found the motor bearing to be bad. Replaced blower motor unit and all worked again. Was glad they did not have to replace the ecu as we now retain our Westy controller function. I'd recommend these guys. They are the group who make the hydronic based combo heater (espar/electric) that is the base heater for sportsmobile, outside vans, etc. so have more experience with the hydronic heaters, but are totally Espar related. Thanks PNWsquid for the recommendation on this group!

512Westy

Oh, and Jim Rixon said no issue at all with using the high altitude pump at all elevation. He said if he was to replace one of these D4 heaters in our van, he would put in a D2 as it would be worked harder at higher output level which is easier on these heaters. Our higher but capable heaters run too slow for their own health. So the high elevation pump puts out less btu's so run harder which is good.

onemanvan

If you purchase a Digi-Max D1000 it should include both the plug ( controller side) and receptacle ( harness side ) [6 pin rectangular ].

If needed a receptacle can be purchased separately from several different vendors - IE: Mouser.
Housing: 929504-2

Note: I'm fairly sure the aforementioned rectangular plug is NOT compatible with the Edith diagnostic tool... However - a resourceful Espar service center should be able to adapt their Edith diagnostic tool to the D1000 rectangular plug easier than they would with circular connector...

The circular connectors for the Westy Airtronic D4S can be ordered from Digi-Key - see attached invoice.

The attached image is representative of a diagnostic Y adapter. I've attached a wiring diagram for the Digi-Max - which doesn't have it's own power supply. That's why a second circular connector ( receptacle ) going to the Westy harness is necessary - IE: connection to battery plus and minus. Don't be confused about the brown/white wire. The Westy wire for ground IE: battery minus - is brown.

Attachments

Last edited:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
As mentioned previously, several Westy owners discovered that our Westy heater has a special computer program to communicate with our central computer console. If you replace the heater with a new one, it will not communicate with our central computer console.

BUT WAIT!

On the James Cook Friends Forum (if I'm understanding the translation correctly), someone is replacing their heater and another poster said some repar shop was able to reprogram/copy the Westy program on their new ECU to communicate with the central computer console. See the second post from BulliFan/Stefan:

http://forum.james-cook-freunde.de/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6288

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
I didn't notice in the past that they, Espar parts, sold adapters and code readers. The prices are so high though, it kinda wants to make me come out of retirement.

AL

Bernd Pfrommer

Our D4S Espar (Airstream Westfalia 2005) is also not working now. Dead as a doorknob, just does nothing. I built a y-adapter with the circular plugs so I could tap into the line, then bought an adapter off of Ebay, shipped from Lithunia for about $65. It is supposed to work together with the Eberspaecher EDITH software but it's not working, I get "communication timeout" errors. An oscilloscope hooked up to the adapter shows that it sends out signals, but either it uses the wrong protocol, or the espar is so dead it doesn't respond.
The EDITHsoftware has several promising model numbers to configure:

D4S 252293 (Westfalia James Cook; Hella) [not tried yet]
D4S 252293 (Westfalia James Cook; Wehrle) [not tried yet]
D4S 252341 (DC James Cook NAFTA; Hella) [tried, doesn't work]
D4S 252341 (DC James Cook NAFTA; Wehrle) [tried, doesn't work]

Not sure what the Hella/Wehrle means. I believe those are relay manufacturers.

Today the magic Autel ODBII connector arrived in the mail, so I'll try that one to see if it can connect with the Espar. Will also try the Lithunian adapter with the model number 252293.

1604439489647.png

Bernd Pfrommer

Our D4S Espar (Airstream Westfalia 2005) is also not working now. Dead as a doorknob, just does nothing. I built a y-adapter with the circular plugs so I could tap into the line, then bought an adapter off of Ebay, shipped from Lithunia for about $65. It is supposed to work together with the Eberspaecher EDITH software but it's not working, I get "communication timeout" errors. An oscilloscope hooked up to the adapter shows that it sends out signals, but either it uses the wrong protocol, or the espar is so dead it doesn't respond.
The EDITHsoftware has several promising model numbers to configure:

D4S 252293 (Westfalia James Cook; Hella) [not tried yet]
D4S 252293 (Westfalia James Cook; Wehrle) [not tried yet]
D4S 252341 (DC James Cook NAFTA; Hella) [tried, doesn't work]
D4S 252341 (DC James Cook NAFTA; Wehrle) [tried, doesn't work]

Not sure what the Hella/Wehrle means. I believe those are relay manufacturers.

Today the magic Autel ODBII connector arrived in the mail, so I'll try that one to see if it can connect with the Espar. Will also try the Lithunian adapter with the model number 252293.

View attachment 159640
Tried my wiring harness + serial adapter again, but no luck. Then used the Autel adapter (sprinter benz), worked like a charm. Reset the lockout code and the Espar is alive again!

Top Bottom