Fantastic Vent Gasket Replacement

sikwan

06 Tin Can
When the sun is out, my Fan-tastic Vent fan cover would stick to the gasket. I would have to manually force the cover open using the turning knob. It was annoying, so I went to the website and found this...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732

...received my free upgraded gasket and decided to install it today.

IMGP0028.JPG
Opened the fan cover to check the condition of the fan gasket.

IMGP0029.JPG
The black polyurethane caulking that sealed the fan to the roof was turning gray and had some small dry cracks.

Ripped off the gasket and I found the silicon adhesive that was left over.
IMGP0030.JPG
It was a pain to remove. I didn't remove it entirely. I used a razor blade to clean off whatever I could.

IMGP0033.JPG
Tube of adhesive that came with the gasket.

Old gasket on top.
IMGP0032.JPG
New gasket on bottom.

You can hardly see it, but the shiny part of the gasket end is actually the silicon liquid soaked into the foam. I wonder how long this is going to last before it dries out completely. I added adhesive through the channel of foam before mounting it.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
IMGP0034.JPG
I had to take the fan cover off so that I could have better access at scraping the adhesive off.

I squeezed the new tube of adhesive onto the gasket before installing it onto the fan. I wiped off any adhesive that squeezed out during the install.

Fan-tastic Vent recommended using denatured alcohol to clean off the old residue that is left on the cover. I didn't have any and I didn't want to go out and buy a bottle of the stuff. I had some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl), but I didn't want to risk using it on the lexan cover. I had some citrus goo-gone lying around and used that instead. It leaves an oil film on the cover which I think will be okay. More chance of the cover to not stick again.

IMGP0035.JPG
New gasket and cover installed.

Spring is coming soon, so I look forward to seeing whether this fixes the sticking problem.

Seek

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Hi Seek,

Is that a temperature sensor on the top of the unit? How is the fan controlled?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hi Scott:

Is that a temperature sensor on the top of the unit? How is the fan controlled?
That's the rain sensor. I tested it and it actually works. :clapping:
IMGP0028.JPG

The temp sensor is a copper bar behind the screen. Thermostat is the far knob.
IMGP0005.JPG
Pull down knob to manually open/close the cover. Push in for motorized action.

Seek

Top Bottom