Starter Cable Rattled loose...

alexk243

KulAdventure
So I have been having a weak starting motor for a while, which I had assumed was a battery since I had replaced the starter motor last year. I recently was pulling my jetskis out of the boat launch and I got into a no start situation similar to low battery power (just clicked once). Jumped it with the aux start to no help. So I looked into the engine bay and noticed that the bolt that holds the power cable to the starter motor was missing its bolt and it had worn through the cable connector. I jiggled it a bit, got the van to start and got it home. Now I would like to fix it, but I am wondering if that is just a direct cable to the battery and where could I source a replacement? Does it need to be OEM or can I just get a 0/0 gauge wire and run it straight from the battery?

Also does anyone know off hand that the nut size would be on the starter?

Sorry the picture is kinda blurry, hard to capture it.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Memory says its a M12 stud. Looks like its M8. But I am not 100%. No idea of the pitch. Ideally you would use a copper or brass nut. The threads may be damaged from the arcing. Thats what eroded the lug.

A quick glance at the wiring diagram indicates that cable is a direct run to the battery. If you are careful, you can dremel the end off lengthwise, and crimp a new one on. Otherwise just pick up a cable from the web, or your local auto supply place. That is probably 1AWG or so, but you can measure.

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I was surprised when my new starter didn’t come with that nut or the smaller switch stud nut. I had to reuse the nuts from my old starter, but that should mean that they are available separately at a MB parts desk? (hold my coffee)

Yup - See page 127 of 2004 parts manual
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/04va-parts manual.pdf
Looks like MB# is N 910112 008000 (Mopar 06104709AA) (description says M8 nut.)
There is also a lock washer, MB# N 912004 008102 (Mopar 05104669AA)

3/8” is close to an M8 diameter if you can’t find the metric washer.

-dave

alexk243

KulAdventure
So I was able to locate a nut and lock washer that I had lying around that fit perfectly. However it would not thread on... Like you guys mentioned there was most likely damage from arching and the loose connection.

So I removed the started from the engine and took a look:

Thread were pretty damaged from arching. Luckily I had a tap/die set that fit the threads (M8 - 1.25 as it turns out) and was able to clean up the threads a ton with that and a wire brush, but I had to cut off the plastic tab that protects the cable from arcing to the other terminals in order to get the die on there.

In order to deal with the lack of arc protection to the other terminals I covered all exposed metal on the starter near that stud with liquid electrical tape (this stuff) and then added threadlocker to the stud before installing it back into the van.

So far so good! Starts up so much faster now. The cable was damaged in this incident, but seems to be holding on pretty well with the new nut and lock washer. My plan down the road is to replace that entire wire.

Thanks again guys for your help with this!

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Good work. If necessary the solenoid can be replaced separate from the starter itself. This of course has to be done on the bench, but that may be cheaper than buying a new starter. The same solenoid is used on quite a few large Mercedes engines.

brakey

Good work. If necessary the solenoid can be replaced separate from the starter itself. This of course has to be done on the bench, but that may be cheaper than buying a new starter. The same solenoid is used on quite a few large Mercedes engines.
Base on what I see in the photo this appears to be a Valeo Starter. You can see "Valeo" on the solenoid. I'm assuming most of the T1N's came with Bosch starters as mine did. You indicate that solenoids are available.
Please advise on availability, Who, What P/N, as I have had no luck locating one in the last 6 months.
Glenn 2005 T1N

So far so good! Starts up so much faster now. The cable was damaged in this incident, but seems to be holding on pretty well with the new nut and lock washer. My plan down the road is to replace that entire wire.
Looks good to me. Nice recovery.

Not that you asked...
If you haven't done this already.
The removed plastic barrier between the terminals can be critical. Liquid tape won't do much against abrasion should anything come loose. I would cable tie the battery cable to hold the position that you need. When required, I use a bit of rubber hose or plastic to protect against abrasion for any added cable ties or other supports.

:2cents: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just to echo another sizing, the original wire between battery and starter is 1 AWG (or the metric equivalent).

--dick

Top Bottom