Dolly Sods

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
My van parked for 3 days at Dolly Sods where my Philmont bound crews did a 3-day, 2-night shakedown:

P5250276.JPG

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Re: Soliciting for Pictures

It's in (almost heaven) West Virginia, if I recall correctly.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Latest trip to Dolly Sods:

Unloading the van for the second crew to start at a different trailhead
P5290770.JPG

Evening at Dolly Sods
P5300845.JPG

Morning:
P5310853.JPG

Last edited:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Latest trip to Dolly Sods:

The Red Creek was as low as I have seen it in 10-years. Normally you could not do this because of the force of the water. the undermining is from the weaker coal seam under the stronger aggregate:
Water falls.JPG

Further down Red Creek:
Water falls2.JPG

The Wilderness was basically empty - great camp sites available. With almost everyone's homes without power due to the Derecho that hit Washington, DC area, and the temperature was 97-degrees there, we were enjoying 77-degree weather and at night even had to zip up the sleeping bags.
Water falls3.JPG

Another great shakedown for this summer's up-coming high adventure.

Last edited:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Another Scout trip to Dolly Sods - this time for winter hiking and camping. Access is only from the Canaan Valley side, as the forest roads from the east are closed.

About a 1000 foot climb before reaching Cabin Mountain Trail
P1120121s.jpg
Camp site on the ridge overlooking the Canaan Valley - but set back from the spring pictures above to get out of the wind.
P1120130s.jpg
Another 3 inches overnight. Hike out as the storm clouds start coming in
P1130142s.jpg
Home actually got more snow than Dolly Sods. Slow going and vehicle problems (yes - the Sprinter also) resulted in a late drop-off. But school cancelled - so no one was unhappy about missing study time.
P1130154s.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom