Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
artnc

Default SS Agile Bathroom drainage issue

Hello All...

Back again trying to pick your brains to correct Raodtrek factory (I think) plumbing issue. Damn, I sure wish the factory did a complete run through of the systems instead of just shoving the rig out the door as apparently they did with mine. This is the first issue that has me aggrevated.

So, never really having used the plumbing in my 2013 agile, we were getting ready for a trip to the SW US and I was doing stuff with the tanks. RUnning water down the drain in the pull out sink resulted in water coming uo through the floor drain for the shower. Then I put water into the shower floor drain and it was sort of not draining....kinda like it was draining a whole lot slower than the water going in. Eventually it did drain. Put a plunger on it and got good suction but nothing really changed. I guess it is minimally functional if one minimizes how much water is used and then the stop and start. Seems to be no problem with the toilet or the kitchen sink. Also, I have not put anything in the drains but water and only a small amount of that in the few months I had the rig.

The only thing that may be related (or may not) is when I first winterized I unscrewed the filter from the pump and it was full of like shavings from PVC pipe.

Tried to check in with the factory since closest dealer is about 200 miles away and I think roadtrek is on holiday shutdown.

Does anyone have any idea how I might go about solving this easily before we take off in 3 days. I am kinda handy.(.but don't really want to disassemble the entire plumbing system)and have become more so (being said VERY sarcastically) since having to do a lot of finish work on the roadtrek that I suppose was the factory's responsibility.

thanks gang...Art
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
icarus

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,703 Posts
Default Re: SS Agile Bathroom drainage issue

The drains can (and do) air lock. Try puting water down the show drain under pressure. There is no real reason it shouldn't drain. There is a trap behind the sliding door that you can open to make sure there is nothing stuck in it.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Icarus

Ps. I think RTs QC, especially in the plumbing is quite poor.
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
RT.SS

Try this: Close the shower floor drain with the plastic drain stopper, then run water thru the bathroom pull out sink...watch it drain...then open the kitchen faucet and see if the bathroom sink drains the water quicker, if it does it's most likely an air lock. Running the water in the kitchen sink releases the built-up of air pressure in the gray tank thru the trap and anti-siphon valve. Picture below illustrates the RT SS drain/ sewage system. Highlighted in yellow are the bathroom drain connections.
espy (01-03-2013), mlts22 (01-09-2013), PTChambers (01-03-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
tcaron20

Man this has been an ongoing issue with our Agile. Its a darn drain for crying out loud! It is based on gravity!? It rarely drains like it should. I'll try the above mentioned solutions but it really is a headache scooping out the water after each shower.

Tom C
tcaron20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
tcaron20

OK - The shower drain has been slow to no draining when taking a shower.
With only about two gallons of water in the black water tank I opened up the tank to drain and behold the shower drained without a problem while sticking a garden hose in it.

The vapor lock must be at the tank? Poor to no tank venting? Ideas?

Thanks!

Tom C
Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
artnc

If I thought the tank had a venting problem, the first thing I would do is stick a hose in the roof vent and run it.....maybe debris or a dead thing. RT does not cover their vents and I asked RT once about covering the vent with screen mesh and they said not necessary as there has never been a report of a animal crawling in there. Ouch... Beyond that I have no idea. My SS is erratic as far as shower draining. Sometimes real real slow, other times OK.. I figure there is some intermittent air lock. If your SS is under 48 months or 48000 and it is not a dead animal. then I suspect warranty might cover it.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
tcaron20

Thanks, I'll try that.

Yes, sometimes it drains and other times not. Such a pain.

Tom C
Old 04-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
gte
2008 RS

If not an air lock I think I recall a post in another thread where the person found debris in the drain left over from the manufacturing process. Since more than one of you SS owners has had this problem it would be weird if you all had debris.

Can you put a hose on the shower floor drain to see if forcing water down the drain helps? I would think an air lock might not stop the water if under pressure, but debris might. I also wonder if it is possible to feed a small snake down the floor drain to see if there might be a blockage
Gary
gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
tcaron20

Hi Gary,

A hose on the drain works fine so it looks like there is no debris in the line. A hose down the roof vent also works fine and the water comes up the shower drain and collects in the shower but then takes a long time to drain.

I wonder if the angle of the RV may play a role. Usually we park with the back of the RV up for sleeping. Maybe I need to reposition with front up so the shower can drain. The diagram of the plumbing shows that the lines does not have much of an angle.

Tom C
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
gte
2008 RS

Tom,
I certainly hope the angle of the vehicle does not matter. I would think that if the pipe is not level it would act as a trap of sorts and fill partially until the level is sufficient to force water down into the tank. I suppose you could check out the level question by tilting the SS so the drain pipe is slanted toward the tank to see if this helps. I would think the water in the shower stall would not drain into the drain hole very well if the SS is not level so this is probably not a good long term solution. If tilting the SS helps then you may need to adjust the plumbing and if under warranty I would think RT would make it right. If tilting does make it right I would call Peter at RT for starters.
Gary

Last edited by gte; 04-08-2013 at 02:56 PM.
gte is offline   Reply With Quote