In-Depth RV Lithium Install & Wiring Film - Mike Mas

calbiker

OK, if you have a fridge with a freezer compartment the size of a shoe box then power consumption will be low. My propane fridge is more than 3 times your size. I can pack it up and go into the back country for 4 weeks without requiring supplies. Sure, you can use dried food and canned goods and accomplish the same thing, but I'm eating dinners similar to home. A large freezer compartment is key to my eating well without breaking camp and driving long distances for a grocery store.

I know. I have a Freeline 115.

marklg

Interestingly I work for the airline industry, so I have a little background on that decision. The FAA restrictions on lithium batteries were based on lithium cobalt battery fires early on. There were attempts to get the rules amended for other lithium chemistries, but the FAA was not interested in "splitting hairs" over the matter.

Obviously there is risk with any energy source over a certain density.

Its interesting the lithionics is UL certified. I would be curious to see what the UL test protocol was, and what cells they used for the testing. That certification has value though, as the UL doesn't rubber stamp stuff usually.
I was at an aviation industry meeting of my products. The meeting for batteries was across the hall. It was way more exciting from the sound of it and I stayed out of their way.

Regards,

Mark

wankel7

OK, if you have a fridge with a freezer compartment the size of a shoe box then power consumption will be low. My propane fridge is more than 3 times your size. I can pack it up and go into the back country for 4 weeks without requiring supplies. Sure, you can use dried food and canned goods and accomplish the same thing, but I'm eating dinners similar to home. A large freezer compartment is key to my eating well without breaking camp and driving long distances for a grocery store.
You don't seem familiar with the model. The freezer is the size of probably four shoe boxes. I got this model over the similar models because it has a larger freezer than say the truck fridge 130 or the isotherm 130. The fridge size is 4.2 CF.

That is wonderful your's is bigger than mine.

And there was no way I was cutting two large holes in my van walls to accommodate a propane fridge ventilation requirements. I used to have a Dometic propane fridge in our first rv... happiest day with that piece was when it hit the dumpster.

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Wow! This was a two cup of coffee deal!

Mike, very nice job. Professionals are hard to come by. I particularly like the thoughtful way that you discuss existing components in most RVs. Many are thinking they need to throw those over the side in order to have the perfect lithium system. Your more practical approach, especially regarding the use of propane devices is welcome.

This was, no doubt, a very expensive system even with wholesale pricing! Your very clean install is impressive and is the key to any installation of this kind. I wish that LTV would do as good a job with the house wiring in our rigs.

Kudos.

Kelly

Earp

Jake - 2008 Frieghtliner 3500 170ext Mega Roof
Found this thread at the perfect time. I am in the process of ordering 800ah of lithium myself. Reason for such large bank is I’d like to be able to run a rooftop ac for short periods of time while dogs are inside. To the OP, have you tested ac time on the batteries?
I just ordered a dc to dc Charger by Renogy that also doubles as a mppt 100/50a. I’m curious if there is a way to estimate the driving time it would take to charge the batteries through the dc-dc charger. That time will dictate the amount of solar I attempt to mount to the roof

goinoregon

apologize for short hack - trying to figure out how to have a conversation with GeorgeRa, but apparently my private messaging is turned off, and I could not figure out how to turn it back on.
anyway - GeorgeRa, I see you are in pdx. if you ever show off your conversion to folks, I would enjoy seeing it, and hearing about your process. my email is maildgo@msn.com.
thx
go

autostaretx

Erratic Member
apologize for short hack - trying to figure out how to have a conversation with GeorgeRa, but apparently my private messaging is turned off, and I could not figure out how to turn it back on.
Go here: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

Scroll down to the Messaging section, and click (so it's checked) the "Receive email from other members" option.

A little further down is "Enable Private Messaging" ... click-to-check that one, too.

Then scroll all the way to the bottom and click "Save Changes"

--dick

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
One reason he can't send private messages is that he doesn't have the required # of posts before that can happen. Now, is that required # 5? If so, he should now be able to private message as his post above was #5.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
One reason he can't send private messages is that he doesn't have the required # of posts before that can happen. Now, is that required # 5? If so, he should now be able to private message as his post above was #5.
He needs to eat more..... :popcorn:

IdleUp

Found this thread at the perfect time. I am in the process of ordering 800ah of lithium myself. Reason for such large bank is I’d like to be able to run a rooftop ac for short periods of time while dogs are inside. To the OP, have you tested ac time on the batteries?
I just ordered a dc to dc Charger by Renogy that also doubles as a mppt 100/50a. I’m curious if there is a way to estimate the driving time it would take to charge the batteries through the dc-dc charger. That time will dictate the amount of solar I attempt to mount to the roof
Earp,

Sounds like you have a nice system going there. I would be very careful ever trusting any lithium system with your pets. I was running my air in the coach while we took a walk around a lake we parked at - when we got back the coach was powered down. I come to find one of my main fuses just opened up for no reason, I quickly replaced the fuse while I was there and it never happened again.

Anything can happen!

Regards - Mike

HighPockets

Do they make a heat sensor that will alarm on your cellphone. My chicken houses do but it calls your cellphone with a landline phone system. Need something direct from the van to the cellphone.

Gene

john61ct

Do they make a heat sensor that will alarm on your cellphone. My chicken houses do but it calls your cellphone with a landline phone system. Need something direct from the van to the cellphone.

Gene
That topic would be worth starting a new thread with a well-phrased title to get better responses.

IdleUp

Hey guys - Just wanted to update the thread concerning my operation of the heating system. Last week my coach was exposed to temperatures of 14 degrees, yet the heater kept the battery and BMS temperature and compartment right at 41 degrees. Lithium battery manufactures recommend that lithium not be stored in extreme lower temperatures.

The heater is primarily designed for when the coach is parked to prevent the BMS from shutting down the 12 volt power system, allowing the battery to be charged in colder weather where otherwise it would not be possible.

This heater system serves a few other purposes since I store some of my drones and their lithium batteries in this same compartment. It’s important to keep the drones IMU and lithium batteries within proper temperatures as well.

The heaters secondary use is for traveling in cold weather where the battery that powers the RV and heater circuit is charged by the engine alternator.

Thanks Mike

Attachments

IdleUp

For those who are planning a lithium installation using Lithionics Deluxe BMS, you’ll be happy to know their BMS is comparable and talks to any RV-C protocol display system. I provided some information below regarding the handshake.

Enjoy - Mike

IdleUp

Hey guys - We had another great “Off The Grid” trip in our Lithium RV over the Holidays on a ride to Cincinnati, Ohio to to pick up our new BMW i3. The trip was five days and we never plugged one time or stopped at a campground. The battery system operated flawlessly to provide plenty of heat at night as well as run the entertainment devices. The beauty of lithium RV conversions such as mine is they offer the ability to spend a night where you want to stay, rather than in a campground miles from your destination. For this trip we ended up staying two nights right on BMW dealers lot, surrounded by millions of dollars of new BMW’s as they prepped our new I3.

While on the subject of lithium, new technology in lithium chemistry is transforming electric cars and RV's. Using the same battery space my older I3, the new BMW i3 has almost tripled its electric mileage.

Our older 2014 I3 had a range of around 60 miles on battery and 58 miles on gas for an average good weather total of 120 miles. Thanks to this new lithium technology, the original 18 kWh battery has been replaced with a 42.2 kWh. / 120ah pack. The i3 can now travel 180 miles on electric and 85 miles gas for a total of 265 miles.

Should you run low on battery, the I3 RX version includes a gas powered range extender using a de-tuned BMW 650 motorcycle gas engine. So if you're going on a long trip you can either fuel up with gas or stop at a number of Walmart's new network of super chargers which can charge the i3 battery to 80% in 20-30 min.

Since we’ve been back the temperatures have been getting down to 25-35 degrees at night. Thanks to special venting I incorporated to circulate air from the trunk to the coaches interior, the 350 watt lithium heater in the rear trunk keeps the entire coach at around 45 degrees, eliminating a need for winterizing. In the image below you can see the open area on the firewall where it vents to the coach.

Regards - Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyAAxNqKCOg&feature=youtu.be

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I believe you said you only run the 600w heater (6amp average draw on 115vAC) when plugged into shore power for storage. Is that still the case? Have you gone to the 800ah Lithium bank as you orginally planned? If you do run the 600w heater off the batteries, how many AH do they consume in a 24 hour period (particularly interested in the no solar charging hours of consumption) and can your 400w of solar recharge them so they are ready to run the battery heater through the night. I am interested in a 400ah system but I am thinking that wouldn't be enough to run an eXtreme heater overnight while in storage to maintain the batteries and keep any water in my lines and fixtures from freezing. I live in the south and I would use the heater probably pretty rarely but we do experience mid to high teens at times. So it may need to run through the night. I am very interested in your experience!

IdleUp

Since the video was produced I have installed the second battery. I might mention the compartment heater is 300 watts and heats the compartment and keeps the cabin at around 40 degrees since the area is vented to the coach interior. I went on numerous trips with the single 400 ah battery and was able to run the AC to cool the coach down for the night and I have used a 500 watt space heater at night which cycled to keep the entire coach comfortable as it cycled over night. For the most part i would not have any problem keeping the coach with the one 400 ah battery its plenty usable but only if your coach is equipped with the propane appliances as mine is since my draw is less than an amp.

Mike

john61ct

Re: In-Depth RV Lithium Install & Wiring Film - Mike Mas

If you do run the 600w heater off the batteries, how many AH do they consume in a 24 hour period (particularly interested in the no solar charging hours of consumption) and can your 400w of solar recharge them so they are ready to run the battery heater through the night
You need to be very cautious running any sort of heat-producing electrical appliance off-grid from battery storage.

No matter how big a battery bank that's not the critical factor, it's how are you putting the energy back in every day?

Do the math , 600W ÷ 12V = 50A average draw
x 24hrs = 1200Ah

Would need 1500Ah in extra LFP storage plus 3500W of panels in ideal insolation conditions to cover just that one load.

Compared to a bit of diesel or propane, would be pretty silly.

IdleUp

Thanks for the reply's - What is very important is having a coach with propane appliances - I suggest you review the view as it explains the many advantages of non-electric devices. Most Lithium coaches offered have a draw of up to 8-10 amps to run the compressor refrigerator and inverters. My coach only draws 1/2 amp. While lithium allows for easy use of microwave dryers entertainment devices etc. they are not yet suitable for long term air conditioning. The problem is our roof top units are all power hogs, I'm now considering installing a 27 seer split AC unit in the coach which I should be able to run for 12-15 hours on a charge.

Mike

john61ct

Re: In-Depth RV Lithium Install & Wiring Film - Mike Mas

Yes figure 100Ah extra bank per hour of aircon.

better off using a little genset and charge your bank rather than run it down

Or even better, follow the 60's

Top Bottom