4x4 sprinter issues

I have a 2015 4x4 sprinter with Hi-Lo when picking it up new at the dealer we were given instructions on engaging the 4x4 it didn't go well, there was a loud metallic bang when attempting to engage 4x4 we were assured by the dealer that this would break in with use.
He was right it did break at 20,000 miles the transfer case was replaced under warranty.
now it engages effortlessly no more banging etc, now about 80% of the time there is something binding in the system ? other times all looks good on engaging 4x4 but only back tires spin resulting in being stuck numerous times .
I live in Alaska we have only one place that is 250 miles away that works on sprinters they are presently booked one month out so any suggestions would be great.

Flagster

I have a 2015 4x4. Lots of driveline clunks and droning from tcase/front diff but no hard engagement...
Holding the 4x4 switch for a "longer" period of time than I would suspect seems to help me for quick seamless engagements? I sure do prefer a manual transfer case but oh well...

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I can hear a faint front diff wine, but do not have the other issues people talk about. Whine is from the straight cut gears, but a droning, to me, is something different.

It is possible to have the rear tires spin on solid ice with now power sent to the front just by way of the open center diff. Your need some resistance in the rear to generate enough torque split to apply power to the front. On ice, your friction coefficient is lower when you're spinning the tires quickly vs creeping slowly (and using traction control). You can also apply some rear e-brake to get enough resistance in the rear axle to move power to the front. It's rare that you're on ice so slippery that this happens, but maybe that's what you're experiencing.

Thanks for the response, I have just driven down the AlCan Hwy in the first big winter storm lots of ice and snow
The sprinter ate it up holds the road great could be it weighs in at 9200 Lbs . Although my confidence in its 4x4
Capacity was once again shattered on several occasions pulling into rest stops with maybe 8-10 inches of snow
I was stuck twice ,first the rest wheels spin which immediately create a hole then the right front wheels alternate
In there spin cycle results stuck on flat ground . The only thing that got me out of this predicament was the 12,000
Wench this 4x4 unit under this sprinter is pathetic at best. I have lived in Alaska the past 46 years and have never
Owned a 2 wheel drive vehicle , I also keep a Land Rover defender in Africa that has been on every nasty 4x4 track
The continent has to offer so I cannot blame my driving skills. So for those out there looking for a 4x4 rig to kit out
For some Offroad adventure ,if you choose a sprinter make a good wench your top priority because you’re going to
Need it.

VanGoSki

Thanks for the response, I have just driven down the AlCan Hwy in the first big winter storm lots of ice and snow
The sprinter ate it up holds the road great could be it weighs in at 9200 Lbs . Although my confidence in its 4x4
Capacity was once again shattered on several occasions pulling into rest stops with maybe 8-10 inches of snow
I was stuck twice ,first the rest wheels spin which immediately create a hole then the right front wheels alternate
In there spin cycle results stuck on flat ground . The only thing that got me out of this predicament was the 12,000
Wench this 4x4 unit under this sprinter is pathetic at best. I have lived in Alaska the past 46 years and have never
Owned a 2 wheel drive vehicle , I also keep a Land Rover defender in Africa that has been on every nasty 4x4 track
The continent has to offer so I cannot blame my driving skills. So for those out there looking for a 4x4 rig to kit out
For some Offroad adventure ,if you choose a sprinter make a good wench your top priority because you’re going to
Need it.
What are you using for tires?

Thus the need for lockers, sounds like to me. For those few moments in order to get the beast rolling, nothing else works as well.

On second thought, maybe some traction pieces placed under the wheels would be advantageous.

VanGoSki

Toyo A/T 265/75/16 very good tread all around great on snow ...
Tirerack.com says this about them: "The Open Country AT II is designed for durability, off-road capability and ride comfort, in addition to confident performance in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including light snow."

So may not be the best tire for the deep snow you got stuck in.

mk216v

Agreed. If you're driving the Alcan in the winter, you'd best have WINTER rated tires. Not all seasons. Not mud terrains. And not even all-season tires with the 3PMSF 3peak mtn snowflake symbol. Studless (or studded if you want) true winter tires. And then carry traction devices like Maxtrax. A winch(vs a wench--who likes hauling one of them around? Hehe :laughing:) can help too if you have something to winch to (ie tree, another vehicle, etc), but traction "ladders" can help you self recover.

Last edited:

Top Bottom