AMP Power Step

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
I will check it out. What you’re thinking is similar to what the folks at amp said to me:

=========

If the step stays down when the door is not completely opened, but retracts when the door is fully opened, there is an issue with the door wiring. Your dome lights may work, but there is another switch for the door ajar circuit. This wire is being pulled loose or broken when the door is fully opened. This would be an issue somewhere between the door boot and the switch at the latch itself.

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
Well I checked the dome lights, and it definitely stays on even with the pass door fully extended. I left the door open for about five minutes and the light stayed on. (The step retracted) Then I closed the door and the light went off after about 45 seconds. So there is some other way the step is getting a signal that the door is partially open versus fully open. Anyone have any ideas?

FWIW, the dual-sided AMP P/N 76263-01A arrived about 10 days ago, but there's been snow on the ground and the usual procrastination putting off my install. The AMP instructions (post #23) leave a little more to be desired, so I might even have to think. I plan on doing a full dry fit first because a neighbor had the one-side PowerStep installed by his conversion builder, and the retracted step sits more than an inch below the body pinch weld. I'll try for a more snug fit, which will cause battle around the driver's side diesel tank fill.
And the verdict is........

Splinter7

I installed the Driver/Passenger side Amp Powersteps a couple of weeks ago on my 2018 144” 4x4 passenger van. Mechanically my steps are perfect, that is when they work. I wired everything up and then plugged in the can-bus two wire connector. Worked like a charm until they didn't. Can't figure out why but the steps will stop working unexpectedly. I’ll open the door and the steps will not come down. The radio won't work either. I'll unplug the two-wire can-bus connector and the radio will start back up and the steps will work again.

Can't seem to narrow down the cause or the sequence that will initiate a failure. I have nothing aftermarket in my van besides the steps.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

TheHerd

I installed the Driver/Passenger side Amp Powersteps a couple of weeks ago on my 2018 144” 4x4 passenger van. Mechanically my steps are perfect, that is when they work. I wired everything up and then plugged in the can-bus two wire connector. Worked like a charm until they didn't. Can't figure out why but the steps will stop working unexpectedly. I’ll open the door and the steps will not come down. The radio won't work either. I'll unplug the two-wire can-bus connector and the radio will start back up and the steps will work again.

Can't seem to narrow down the cause or the sequence that will initiate a failure. I have nothing aftermarket in my van besides the steps.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I wonder what AMP tech support has to say?

I am waiting for my broken collar bone to heal before I begin my install.

Splinter7

I wonder what AMP tech support has to say?

I am waiting for my broken collar bone to heal before I begin my install.
AMP provided a new CAN-Bus module but the problem still persists. Still confused as all hell. Will update if I find a solution.

TheHerd

I’ve had zero issues after installing my dual AMP Power Step. I used the Sprinter designated ground, located further behind the recommended (non-designated ground) bolt per the instructions (driver side dash). I also soldered the wiring extensions. The driver side rear arm is a challenge tightening the frontmost bolt, because the tight space between the shield for the gas tank hose. I used hot glue (instead of double sided tape) to mount lights, and tuck in cabling against the inside underbody. Nice and clean.

TheHerd

AMP provided a new CAN-Bus module but the problem still persists. Still confused as all hell. Will update if I find a solution.
I would recommend moving the ground for the CAN-bus, further back to the Sprinter designated ground. It is a tight fit with large hands, but I was able to get the bolt off and back on. Had a magnet tool read on standby. If you cant reach it, there is another designated ground up in the A pillar, between the front window and driver side door. I don't think the regular bolt mentioned in the AMP instructions makes a great ground.

Morgeaux

I got my dual Amp Power Step (76263-01A) in finally. They sent me the wrong wiring harness.
Step 24 says connect purple, purple/black, and red wire. I only had a purple/black. On the other side I have a Pink and a Blue cable. The Pink and Blue are for the single side step, not the double steps. Make sure you have the right wirring harness before you begin. Now I have to wait for them to send me the correct one.
We have the same problem, pink and blue wires but not the red and purple. Did they send a new harness or did they tell you how to make the existing harness work?

TheHerd

Yes, you will need a new harness. AMP should overnight it to you. The very first kits had the wrong harness shipped. The new ones are corrected now.

Mine are still going strong. They’ve lowered and raised over 100 times by now with no issue. Thanks to my 5 year old, who gets crazy excited to see them in action. He always wants to be the one who opens and closes a door. Too funny ?

Splinter7

I would recommend moving the ground for the CAN-bus, further back to the Sprinter designated ground. It is a tight fit with large hands, but I was able to get the bolt off and back on. Had a magnet tool read on standby. If you cant reach it, there is another designated ground up in the A pillar, between the front window and driver side door. I don't think the regular bolt mentioned in the AMP instructions makes a great ground.
I think this worked. Thanks for the help. Only time will tell now.

Wave

At the Overland Expo I heard that the new CAN-bus connection with the new steps has an issue that I'm wondering if anyone has experienced. I heard that something with the CAN-bus communication can go to sleep, say when you are camping out without the keys in the ignition, and then when you try and open the door the step will not work.

Has anyone experienced this or confirm that this isn't an issue with the new CAN-bus connected AMP steps?

Thanks!!!

KiteSprinter

At the Overland Expo I heard that the new CAN-bus connection with the new steps has an issue that I'm wondering if anyone has experienced. I heard that something with the CAN-bus communication can go to sleep, say when you are camping out without the keys in the ignition, and then when you try and open the door the step will not work.

Has anyone experienced this or confirm that this isn't an issue with the new CAN-bus connected AMP steps?

Thanks!!!
This happens with mine. I am going to try to go for that hard to reach ground that worked for the other two in this thread and hope that works.

colddude

Has anyone installed the driver and passenger AMP power steps on the 2019's (76263-01A)? AMP/various reseller websites list 2018 as the latest year for compatibility.

The passenger side SKU (75163-01A) shows compatibility up to 2019's. I'd like to have both sides installed.

My Sprinter is 2019 4x4 170 Cargo.

kfo

Has anyone installed the driver and passenger AMP power steps on the 2019's (76263-01A)? AMP/various reseller websites list 2018 as the latest year for compatibility.

The passenger side SKU (75163-01A) shows compatibility up to 2019's. I'd like to have both sides installed.

My Sprinter is 2019 4x4 170 Cargo.
Bump. I'm also curious for the 2019's.

CactusJackSlade

We are glade we have one, my wife in particular since she gets the benefit of it every time she gets out! I've been finding myself exiting the slider for this reason also ;-)

onejaykay

Has anyone added the driver step to an existing passenger step install and harness. I have a 2017 and looking to add the driver step now.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonefishin'

Any one figured the problems/fixes for the Amp Powersteps? I've got a 2017 4x4 and the steps are a problem. Mine go into "sleep mode" every 2 or 3 times I open or close the door. I moved the ground back, didn't help. I put a rocker switch on the ground wire and now whenever it goes to sleep, I flick the switch off, then back on and it "resets" something with the steps and they work... till they dont. Hoping someone smarter than me has a permanent fix...! Thanks!

Top Bottom