Sprinter versus Transit.

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50714

Geez whiz, look at all these Ford features compared to Mercedes.

1. Operator commanded DPF Regeneration.
2. Regeneration in progress notification.
3. Simpler diagnostic user interface.

My fantasy vehicle; a Sprinter married to a Ford F-250 4x4 chassis.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1--SvU6y93E

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Geez whiz, look at all these Ford features compared to Mercedes.

1. Operator commanded DPF Regeneration.
2. Regeneration in progress notification.
3. Simpler diagnostic user interface.
Better yet is to eliminate all three requirements and just buy a gas engine. Less fuel mileage but less maintenance costs.

showkey

Better yet is to eliminate all three requirements and just buy a gas engine. Less fuel mileage but less maintenance costs.
Not to mention any MPG diesel increase is off set ( in my area) by the diesel costs of plus 25% over gas.

As far as a fantasy how about a Sprinter witha Toyota or Honda drive line.

Last edited:

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
In AZ the prices of Gas vs Diesel is plus or minus $.05-.10 depending on the station.

D

Deleted member 50714

Quite true brother Dave, but their exists something special about diesels. The sound, faint smell of ammonia wafting in the chilly morning air, exhilarating torque...and "Destination anxiety." Diesels have soul! Diesels are the masculine version to gasoline. :thinking:

My fantasy vehicle, Tesla traction motor/battery adapted to Sprinter. Plug an play.

john61ct

Not to mention any MPG diesel increase is off set ( in my area) by the diesel costs of plus 25% over gas.

As far as a fantasy how about a Sprinter witha Toyota or Honda drive line.
Mine is the GM 8.1L gasser, 15+K# GVWR with a very robust tow package, tow my 14+K# trailer load over the Rockies without straining.

4x4 and good clearance, 4.10 axle ratio and locking diff for off-road.

Plus extra long and tall.

Obviously not worried about mpg

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Quite true brother Dave, but their exists something special about diesels. The sound, faint smell of ammonia wafting in the chilly morning air, exhilarating torque...and "Destination anxiety." Diesels have soul! Diesels are the masculine version to gasoline. :thinking:

My fantasy vehicle, Tesla traction motor/battery adapted to Sprinter. Plug an play.
My Ecoboost has it all over my 2.7 and 3.0 MB diesel, has more torque and horsepower, twin turbos, direct injection, it is a diesel with spark plugs.

Go test drive an ecoboost, then tell us all about Sprinter torque. :popcorn:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton

Once you get the diesel disease for some there is no known treatment. Have been there and done that but fortunately was able to get treatment to cure the disease.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
My Ecoboost has it all over my 2.7 and 3.0 MB diesel, has more torque and horsepower, twin turbos, direct injection, it is a diesel with spark plugs.

Just a different disease. Much more fun to go fast in a metal box. You forget you are in a truck.

As you state it acts like a diesel with max. torque between 2000 and 3000 rpm. No high rpm like a normal gas engine.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I'm perfectly happy with my GDE-tuned 2007, 16 MPG in a Class C RV, emissions issues nonexistent, since I do all work myself maintenance costs aren't a concern, and diesel is within .10 of gasoline in my area. All that said, would I but a new Bluetec anything? Nope.

D

Deleted member 50714

"Pussy" wagon. Like I said, gasoline is the girly version.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Just a different disease. Much more fun to go fast in a metal box. You forget you are in a truck.

As you state it acts like a diesel with max. torque between 2000 and 3000 rpm. No high rpm like a normal gas engine.
It even runs at lower RPMs than my V6 Sprinter did on the highway. Runs about 1100 RPMs around town.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I feel lucky to have purchased a 4 cyl diesel version of the Sprinter. Drove the 4 and V6 back-to-back and the 4 feels more responsive, partly due to the gearing and programming of its 7-speed transmission, and partly because it has two turbochargers. One is turbocharger is tiny and spools almost immediately, so it doesn't feel laggy like the V6 off-the-line and it's in boost more often, so engine response is very good, even though total torque is less than the V6. The 24-28 MPG is far above what any gas van will achieve with conversion weight. I couldn't go back to a 16 MPG gas van. Good thing the 4 cylinder diesel is returning in 2019, because it's an awesome powertrain.

D

Deleted member 50714

I am thinking about the 2022 MY. Give management time to fine-tune the production line.

surlyoldbill

When I'm done with this Transit experiment, I might be looking at a low mileage 4cyl sprinter or more likely the Hyundai H350, if available. It'll be a few years, maybe some "new" technology or powertrain will become available that produces adequate power and stupendous mpg. I intend to be traveling a lot more in a couple years when the kids are out of the house.

D

Deleted member 50714

When I'm done with this Transit experiment, I might be looking at a low mileage 4cyl sprinter or more likely the Hyundai H350, if available. It'll be a few years, maybe some "new" technology or powertrain will become available that produces adequate power and stupendous mpg. I intend to be traveling a lot more in a couple years when the kids are out of the house.
I certainly will transition into a Hyundai H350. :drool:

Top Bottom