Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Australia, New Zealand, and Asia Pacific

Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 AM   #11
chooqi

Default Re: Sprintshift Hydralic pump

Hey thanks Mozz, that would be very helpful. I will PM you.

I am envious of you guys having machining facilities, best I have is a vice and files. Necessity is the mother of invention however and fortunately this type of adaptation is not micron dependent.

That motor look the part Iggy and not overpriced. There must be a generic controller about that is matched to the motor, I will look around and see what turns up.
chooqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:57 AM   #12
chooqi

Further to this mod, I have sourced a supply of suitable (brushed) 12volt motors for a very reasonable price. The dimensions are ideal and the mounting plate lends itself well to adapting the original MB hydraulic pump.

https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/un...-chain-en.html

Although the ultimate motor is a brushless design there are a few inherent problems associated with these types of motors. In the main, they are three wire devices and require a controller, adding further cost. However the need to either encase the controller (waterproof) and mount it near the pump so as to use existing cabling or mount it under the driver seat near the relay which would require two additional cables to be installed, limits the viability. So I have decided that a brushed (ball race) motor is the simplest option and lends itself to being fully serviceable.

Putting out another call for any pumps that are defunct. I am happy to purchase (up to $40) and pay for freight.
The Following User Says Thank You to chooqi For This Useful Post:
Iggy66 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #13
bmachining

Hi chooqi,

Have you measured the Amp draw on a factory pump motor? Just to know the replacement motor will be up to the task.

Ive been on the lookout for a spare pump myself, but havent looked too hard . I love the sprintshift.

Having a full machine shop at home makes jobs like these fairly easy.
bmachining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
bmachining

On using a brushless motor, only thing you are gaining is the absence of brushes. The controller is the weak point, and can only be repaired easily by replacement.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Iggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmachining View Post
On using a brushless motor, only thing you are gaining is the absence of brushes. The controller is the weak point, and can only be repaired easily by replacement.
Hi Ken,

Agreed the brushless controller could be the weakest link but presently the brushes ARE the weakest link in the whole Sprintshift system. The motor has bronze bushings not bearings and undersized brushes which overheat & stick requiring the classic hammer tap to get the pump working again.

I'm working on an inexpensive plug & play brushless controller so if a problem arises it's a simple job to swap the controller & get going again.

The pump motor has to start under load so the current draw would be considerable, I haven't yet measured maximum current but the fuse is 40A so I'm thinking about 20A - 30A would be typical.

Cheers, Iggy
Iggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #16
chooqi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmachining View Post
Hi chooqi,

Have you measured the Amp draw on a factory pump motor? Just to know the replacement motor will be up to the task.

Ive been on the lookout for a spare pump myself, but havent looked too hard . I love the sprintshift.

Having a full machine shop at home makes jobs like these fairly easy.
Hi Ken

I also love the sprintshift with the exception of the inherent pump motor problem and am not prepared to venture off without a spare unit at the ready. I agree with Iggy that the motor current draw at startup would be 20-30amps, which indicates the load is considerable.

This mod is currently working well and I am looking at photo blogging the next one from start to finish so that it is documented with easy to follow directions so that anyone can attempt an inexpensive fix.

I also look forward to Iggys development of a brushless motor and controller, please keep us updated on any developments Iggy. I envy you guys with precision machining tools, makes the job a dream.

Cheers
Lou
The Following User Says Thank You to chooqi For This Useful Post:
Iggy66 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #17
Iggy66

I checked the maximum current draw of my Sprintshift pump (fairly new, less than 60,000Km) & surprisingly the maximum recorded was 12.1Amps. So at 13V nominal that's 160Watts motor power including inefficiency's being used.

If you doubled that figure to say a 300W motor I'm sure that would leave plenty of over rating capacity for the motor & ensure a long life.

I think I might have over specified the brushless motor I've ordered, but at least I know it'll be working easily and the brushless controller rated at 20Amps should also be over rated for the job required.

Cheers, Iggy
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy66 For This Useful Post:
chooqi (01-16-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
bmachining

Iggy, Thanks for the info!

Running a speed controller with double the ratings is a safe bet.
Only other thing is motor RPM. not critical, but if its too slow it wouldnt be great.

I was going to pull my pump unit off today and have a good look at the setup, but it was 43C , much nicer in the aircon workshop. Im going to replace the fluid anyway.

Not sure how others are, but my sprintshift is super smooth and fast with gear changes. Changes up and down when you would want to change gears, very well setup.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #19
jaahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy66 View Post
I checked the maximum current draw of my Sprintshift pump (fairly new, less than 60,000Km) & surprisingly the maximum recorded was 12.1Amps. So at 13V nominal that's 160Watts motor power including inefficiency's being used.

If you doubled that figure to say a 300W motor I'm sure that would leave plenty of over rating capacity for the motor & ensure a long life.

I think I might have over specified the brushless motor I've ordered, but at least I know it'll be working easily and the brushless controller rated at 20Amps should also be over rated for the job required.

Cheers, Iggy
Hi
It can be extremely hard to measure the maximum current draw at startup for something like this motor. You need a quality meter to catch it, most ordinary digital meters are tooo slow. So allowing for double the figure seem wise to me. Just a comment !
Jaahn
jaahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #20
Iggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
Hi
It can be extremely hard to measure the maximum current draw at startup for something like this motor. You need a quality meter to catch it, most ordinary digital meters are tooo slow. So allowing for double the figure seem wise to me. Just a comment !
Jaahn

Hi Jaahn,

I used a true RMS digital clamp meter to check the current draw because I was expecting over 20A, I understand what you mean by the initial current surge to start the motor especially under load may be missed by the meter if the sampling rate is too slow. I did notice the current draw increased as the pressure was building in the pump and the data logging of my multimeter recorded the maximum just as the motor stopped.

Cheers, Iggy