Forced DPF Regeneration Stall

scifisanta

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Sprinter, 3.0 liter diesel, 170 extended and have a few codes. I purchased it with cash for fairly cheap as a project to turn into a camper.

I have a code P242F (Ash Accumulation: DPF Restriction). I purchased a Carsoft OBD2 scanner with the intent of doing a forced regeneration to see if it would resolve the issue. I started to forced regeneration, blanked out a few minutes later, and started to drive. A minute later, the van stalled out and would not start, however, it would crank. I left the van on the side of the road and came the next day and it started right up and haven't had an issue since. In my research on the forum, I have seen that the issue could have been a camshaft position sensor starting to fail. Or, I shouldn't have started driving it. I just want to make sure it was my mistake (incredibly dumb mistake) and not a mechanical issue.

Thank you for time and responses. I've gleaned a lot of information from this forum so far and look forward to giving back as I learn more.

D

Deleted member 50714

Howdy Doody! I have no clue of your scanner's capabilities. A scanner capable of interrogating the DPF ash fill level is required. See example. 8 grams of ASH and the DPF is kaput!

How many miles???

I wouldn't panic...yet.

Keep in mind, forced regenerations are not to be performed willie-nilly, prerequisites exist. For example, regenerations will not have any effect on reducing ash Fill level. DPF must be either replaced or flushed.

As vehicles age rubber hoses deteriorate, wire insulation deteriorates, chafes, cracks, leaks, etc. etc. etc. Terminals and connectors become corroded, pins damaged, pushed-out from connector galley, etc., etc., etc.

In addition, to pressure differential sensor being updated, production inconsistencies exist related to the pressure differential sensor flexible hose conection On OM642, clamps are used common to sensor connection but not the lower hard lines. OM651 is opposite. WHY? The slightest leak could result in a erronous sensor data. Inspect hoses and CLAMP ALL CONNECTIONS.

Unfortunately, I've experienced too many similar field situations and worked with many people who will spend more energy and time bitching and moaning about doing it, then it would to just do it! It's just standard high school shop practice to secure critical emmision connections. I don't know, maybe they didn't have auto shop 101 Germany.

So, how much is this you plan on doing yourself?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

scifisanta

Bob,

I will play around the scanner and see if I can find any values for the soot and ash content in the DPF.

It was 345,000 miles on it. I like to live dangerously lol.

I plan to do a lot of the maintenance myself as I like to learn about this stuff. Also, since it's gonna be RV conversion I'd like to know what's going on under the hood in case it breaks in the future. I will say one thing, and that's that I've never heard of so many sensor and safeties in a vehicle before until researching Sprinters. They seem to be tricky beasts.

Thanks for all th advice and places to start looking to help understand this event.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Howdy Doody! I have no clue of your scanner's capabilities. A scanner capable of interrogating the DPF ash fill level is required. See example. 8 grams of ASH and the DPF is kaput!
Question, do you know if it common to see an ash level of 0 grams as in the picture above? That is what I'm seeing even at 78k miles and am wondering if the value is real or not. The vehicle has been subject to probably 90% Interstate miles over its life so I guess it's possible that the DPF could simply be in good shape, but... :thinking:

D

Deleted member 50714

Question, do you know if it common to see an ash level of 0 grams as in the picture above? That is what I'm seeing even at 78k miles and am wondering if the value is real or not. The vehicle has been subject to probably 90% Interstate miles over its life so I guess it's possible that the DPF could simply be in good shape, but... :thinking:
I can't remember, but I think MB came out with a Xentry software fix. This may be from machine not updated? What's astonishing, 8 grams of ash must be a lot of volume?

Still study, learning.

D

Deleted member 50714

Here's another non-Xentry print-out.

Yeah, the same Zero value. In this case, I think vehicle had only had a few thousand miles.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 50714

Bob,

I will play around the scanner and see if I can find any values for the soot and ash content in the DPF.

It was 345,000 miles on it. I like to live dangerously lol.

I plan to do a lot of the maintenance myself as I like to learn about this stuff. Also, since it's gonna be RV conversion I'd like to know what's going on under the hood in case it breaks in the future. I will say one thing, and that's that I've never heard of so many sensor and safeties in a vehicle before until researching Sprinters. They seem to be tricky beasts.

Thanks for all th advice and places to start looking to help understand this event.
My Sprinter is a hobby and enjoy learning and sharing. Here's some study material if you already haven't seen them.

http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-service-information.pdf

http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/

Last edited by a moderator:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
My readers are an Autel MD802 and AP200. So if Autel, and Xentry, and the other printout above all show zero values then I tend to doubt the problem is with all of these tools. Perhaps the value really is zero or perhaps the measurement methodology is flaky, who knows. I guess as long as everything seems to be working well I'm happy.

D

Deleted member 50714

My readers are an Autel MD802 and AP200. So if Autel, and Xentry, and the other printout above all show zero values then I tend to doubt the problem is with all of these tools. Perhaps the value really is zero or perhaps the measurement methodology is flaky, who knows. I guess as long as everything seems to be working well I'm happy.
Certainly sounds reasonable. Curious, can the MD802 activate ABS for brake bleeding?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Bob gave you the link to the first of these (which should show where the sensor is located), but here are two critical others (since one is a section of Bob's that isn't actually *in* that file):
http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-service-information.pdf <-- 2007 service manual
http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-wiring-information.pdf <-- MB diagrams (sect 8W of above)
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/07_Wiring-sprinter-2500.pdf <-- 3rd party diagrams

--dick

Top Bottom