2006 Dodge Sprinter Brake Light Switch Tips

ko4nrbs

I thought I would start a new thread and offer up my experiences with the brake light switch. I researched the forums before I began the switch replacement and couldn't have got it done without that information. As discussed in the threads it's easier to break off the retaining tab before removing the switch if replacing it. No use fighting it if you don't have to. While replacing mine I discovered that the triangular shaped tab would not fully penetrate the metal plate when the switch was inserted in the hole. The square one was no problem. After fighting it for a couple of hours I decided it was the top triangular tab causing the problem. I found that the triangular shaped tab on my replacement switch was too long. It's just a molded plastic part so the tolerances were off a little. As recommended I took a small file to it and shortened it until it would penetrate the metal plate fully. I also secured the locking mechanism down with a cable tie so I wouldn't have to pry to press on it while turning the switch. It may not of been necessary but was easy to do. Just remember to remove the cable tie after the switch is in!!

So in closing insert the replacement switch in it's hole and if anyone of the tabs will not fully penetrate the metal plate file it down until it does. Don't over due it go slow.

Now to celebrate with several Ibuprofen and a visit to the Chiropractor.

Good luck!!

Bill

Last edited:

Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter Brake Light Switch Experiences

Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

I thought I would start a new thread and offer up my experiences with the brake light switch. I researched the forums before I began the switch replacement and couldn't have got it done without that information. ...

Bill
To fit my 2004 I also trimmed the plastic. One of the threads is here.

Brake Switch Adjust and/or Change Install
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=300852

I didn't break the removed switch tabs. I was able to disassemble the removed switch, clean the contacts, and return it to operating condition to carry as a spare. I guess it was worth the extra trouble of removal to not clip the switch tabs, but...

Now to celebrate with several Ibuprofen and a visit to the Chiropractor.

Good luck!!

Bill
Yep. I believe I added at least a couple beers to my celebration.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

ko4nrbs

This is a picture of the triangular tab I had to file down before it would penetrate the metal mounting plate. Note the little lever for the retaining tab has been broken off for easier switch removal.

This is a picture of the square tab that fit ok.

Remember: Turn counter clockwise to remove and clockwise to install.

Bill

autostaretx

Erratic Member

For that inevitable day when the remote photo site goes away:

BrakeSwTab1.jpg

BrakeSwTab2.jpg

--dick

Preston

04 Sprinter, 118" Cargo

THANK YOU. I trimmed off the back of both tabs of the new one and it screwed right in. The cable tie also helped greatly! I tried for a good hour until I read this- it too 2 minutes to finish once the tabs were tweaked!

Top Bottom