4x4 Passenger Options

rdmartin13

Just heard from my dealer today and they have been given a build allocation for a 2019 4x4 Sprinter Passenger Van. I initially had a 2018 built that I passed on last year around this time to wait for a 2019.

Mercedes has every option available I ordered except the following:
-roof rails
-cell phone cradle
-Lighting package (with the LED headlights)

I'm fine with no roof rails as I have no plans of putting anything on top of a high-roof passenger van

Same for cell-phone cradle, can do without

Mercedes told dealer that the LED lighting package will not be available in the "foreseeable future", ditto for the other options. Trying to decide if should just go ahead with the build or wait yet again. Thoughts?

Would a conversion to LED headlights be possible aftermarket option?

Thanks for any insight.

sulkorp

Hearing from so many other users who are SOL about finding a slot for 4x4 van, I think you should go through with it.

Roof rack and be added later.

Cell phone charging cradle, so many other options or get a cable.

LED headlights are apparently only for fleet right now. Technically you could probably add them lader if they are a plgu in option.

There are LED bulbs that can be put into the existing bulb slots. They are not the same as the factory option, yet could still be for what you want.

If you have everything else.. why not?

Dave D

Just heard from my dealer today and they have been given a build allocation for a 2019 4x4 Sprinter Passenger Van. I initially had a 2018 built that I passed on last year around this time to wait for a 2019.

Mercedes has every option available I ordered except the following:
-roof rails
-cell phone cradle
-Lighting package (with the LED headlights)

I'm fine with no roof rails as I have no plans of putting anything on top of a high-roof passenger van

Same for cell-phone cradle, can do without

Mercedes told dealer that the LED lighting package will not be available in the "foreseeable future", ditto for the other options. Trying to decide if should just go ahead with the build or wait yet again. Thoughts?

Would a conversion to LED headlights be possible aftermarket option?

Thanks for any insight.
I'd say get the roof rails as they are really useful for everything from solar panels to lights. It's a cheap option that will cost you several time the price to add later.

The Sprinters factory HID light upgrade is super bright and come with LED day-lights. I don't know how the new LEDs may compare but the Sprinter HIDs are brighter than any other LED headlights I have seen.

"Every option" isn't always available though. The trailer hitch is bargain and the factory 7-pin wiring ties into the van computer so trailer braking is taken into account, but you cant get the very handy rear bumper step option with the hitch option. Sounds like you are already getting the full safety package (good choice), but are you really getting the two factory Espar heaters and the Factory electric step? The factory step takes a lot of space, cuts into ground clearance and doesn't extend to the passenger door. The aftermarket Amp Research step does not have these issues. The 2 heaters? well there are pluses and minuses depending on what you are planning to so with the Van. Insulation package? Not needed if you will be adding insulation later, but better than nothing if not. It does quiet things down a bit, provides a little insulation and it includes insulation between the engine compartment and passenger compartment that is very hard to add in the future.

sanomechanic

When I ordered my 4X4 back in April. Was told same exact thing. No Roof Rack, No High Performance Headlamp Package. Did some research and got someone at dealership to check. I then called MBVANS and requested info and was told the same thing. The LED package can not be retrofitted. The CAN BUS Network will not allow any lighting changes. That includes installing LED bulbs in the Regular Headlamps.

The existing LED Headlamps are under a recall as well

Last edited:

rdmartin13

Thanks for the info. Van is in production now, late July or early August delivery per dealer. Roof rails still not available so if need in future will just have to pay for aftermarket.

I did get the factory sliding step, may end up regretting that and wish for the Amp power step but time will tell.

Headlights will be whatever the standard 2019 comes with, sounds like the LEDs aren't going to be available any time soon and I also saw the recall notice on the auto headlight dimming assist.

Probably the biggest bummer for me was the no power sliding door. I did get the electric assist but was really hoping for a fully power door as my wife will be primary driver of the van with four kids 6 and under on board.

Still excited about the van and have been in touch with Sportsmobile about some upgrades including drop town TV with DVD player, grill wrap, light bar, etc. Wondering if the aluminess light bar will fit the 2019 model. Love Rigid Industries LEDs and hoping to mount some driving/floods to the vehicle.

sanomechanic

My build is in July as well from The Charleston Facility.
Most manufactures that offer this option are plagued with problems and their doors are not near as big and heavy as the Sprinter. This may be a blessing in disguise. Roof Racks are fairly simple to install. Pop the headliners out and pop the blind plugs. Did it to my 2016 Crew Van in a couple hours " 3 beers" time.
Really stoked on getting a more modern Sprinter.

rdmartin13

Right on! Will be interesting to see when/if our vans arrive on time, i'll share pics when here. Despite the headaches as we'e mentioned I'm also stoked to be getting the van this summer, will def share pics and give updates on the upgrades as they take place. More than anything we need a TV/DVD player to keep the babies silent on trips! ha

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Thanks for the info. Van is in production now, late July or early August delivery per dealer. Roof rails still not available so if need in future will just have to pay for aftermarket.

I did get the factory sliding step, may end up regretting that and wish for the Amp power step but time will tell.

Headlights will be whatever the standard 2019 comes with, sounds like the LEDs aren't going to be available any time soon and I also saw the recall notice on the auto headlight dimming assist.

Probably the biggest bummer for me was the no power sliding door. I did get the electric assist but was really hoping for a fully power door as my wife will be primary driver of the van with four kids 6 and under on board.

Still excited about the van and have been in touch with Sportsmobile about some upgrades including drop town TV with DVD player, grill wrap, light bar, etc. Wondering if the aluminess light bar will fit the 2019 model. Love Rigid Industries LEDs and hoping to mount some driving/floods to the vehicle.
Ipads

who the hell uses a built in tv anymore

rdmartin13

ha, like the iPad comment....yep I'm just old school and if my kids are going to be ignoring me nd wife with headphones on at least they're watching something together, your point is well-taken though as that would be an easy and much less cumbersome option

OffroadHamster

Ipads

who the hell uses a built in tv anymore
People with kids who turn the ipad off and demand you get up to help them. TV is forced compliance, larger screen, remote control, wireless headphones on the cheap, family movie night when on the road between destinations etc etc. Even a large ipad is small to have more than one person watch at a time.

Also, people with expansive DVD collections that they have not managed to burn onto a HDD or other digital location. I own several ipads and kindle fire tablets but will be installing a DC tv in the van with a blue ray player and wireless headphone kit.

Silveringot

8 Grit Sandpaper
People with kids who turn the ipad off and demand you get up to help them. TV is forced compliance, larger screen, remote control, wireless headphones on the cheap, family movie night when on the road between destinations etc etc. Even a large ipad is small to have more than one person watch at a time.

Also, people with expansive DVD collections that they have not managed to burn onto a HDD or other digital location. I own several ipads and kindle fire tablets but will be installing a DC tv in the van with a blue ray player and wireless headphone kit.
Large dropdown tv is actually more work than an ipad. TV does drone our the kids, but it also requires someone non driving to manage the operation. Have a 28” in my 144, which is for sale. Wireless headphones also require constant attention, batteries, connectivity and interference plagued ours till I took it all out and went with all around stereo. Just my two cents after driving from Indianapolis to Disney and back with TV on most the drive.

Wyuna

We are looking at the 12.9 inch iPad for our trip, using a ram mount on the roof, so we can both watch movies and also use the iPad as a laptop replacement on the road.

Having said that we don't have kids, so the demand when something goes wrong is not an issue.

I like the idea of kids of not having iPads, road trips are about experiences and they need to engage with there surroundings

We never had this tech growing up and i survived.

But i do realise keeping them occupied reduces the stress on long trips

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I have a swing out wall mount and a 40" 4K HDR TV in mine, I can easily remove it and place it outside too...
It's amazing what over the air programming one can receive, much of it in HD... can also stream thru it's built in wifi or my Iphone hotspot or use a portable hard drive with movies, etc on it....

Last edited:

Top Bottom