Green Diesel Engineering Review: Bad

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Just goes along with reducing greenhouse gases with every tune by 10-17%, so 60-80 gr/mi less CO2 emitted. When the vehicle is calibrated for minimum fuel usage the particulates drop, hydrocarbon drops, carbon monoxide drops and NOx can increase. The Nox increase is in the range of 1% of the CO2 decrease, so very minimal. The name does have meaning behind it.
Curious... how come MB hasn't discovered this 'secret' and marketed it? :smilewink:

:popcorn:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Just goes along with reducing greenhouse gases with every tune by 10-17%, so 60-80 gr/mi less CO2 emitted. When the vehicle is calibrated for minimum fuel usage the particulates drop, hydrocarbon drops, carbon monoxide drops and NOx can increase. The Nox increase is in the range of 1% of the CO2 decrease, so very minimal. The name does have meaning behind it.
Kind of puzzling why such wonders are against the law.

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
Kind of puzzling why such wonders are against the law.
Junk science based on lobbies and lining pockets. Research the natural and human sources for NOx. Fossil fuel burning is about 10% of man made NOx and farming practices account for 67% of man made NOx. The regulations are not a cost effective method for limiting NOx production. Focus on the big hitter i.e. Agriculture and one can have a much larger impact on the environment as a whole. The NOx trade-off in vehicles is ludicrous as to lower NOX one must increase PM, HC, CO and CO2.

Someday folks will open their eyes and ears and in the meantime we will fix this oversight.

The GDE tune is also sold for off road use and thus legal. Mainly for folks looking to stem the tide of fossil fuel use.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Did any one ever consider big oil needed a way to stop the growth of green American made biodiesel? The DPF handily put an end to that competition. :shifty:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Research the natural and human sources for NOx.
I tried to do just that and was completely confused. I found data (all from seemingly science-based and objective resources) that supported the idea vehicular NOx emissions were indeed a minor part of total worldwide NOx emissions, or data completely to the contrary, and everything in between. :thinking:

Regardless, it does seem probable (or even obvious) that vehicular emissions represent by far the highest concentration of NOx emissions in urban areas (where there are lots of cars and little agriculture), so in terms of health affects in those areas it's irrelevant even if the the highest worldwide generators are from agricultural sources because what matters is what you are breathing where you are, generation of localized photochemical smog, etc.

I guess what would make the most sense would be to restrict NOx emissions more in sensitive urban areas where even a slight reduction on NOx may be worthwhile enough to increase other pollutants and vice versa in rural areas, but that's probably not practical to implement in the real world. GPS-based emissions systems maybe? :smilewink: Hmm, maybe not such a bad idea... bias emissions controls towards removing things like NOx in sensitive areas and maximize reduction of greenhouse gasses in other areas.

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The GDE tune is also sold for off road use and thus legal.
Sigh...

Mobile sources
Motor vehicle engines and off-road vehicles and engines must meet CAA emissions standards. These standards apply to cars, trucks, buses, recreational vehicles and engines, generators, farm and construction machines, lawn and garden equipment, marine engines and locomotives.
[...]

Defeat devices. It is a violation of the CAA to manufacture, sell, or install a part for a motor vehicle that bypasses, defeats, or renders inoperative any emission control device. For example, computer software that alters diesel fuel injection timing is a defeat device. Defeat devices, which are often sold to enhance engine performance, work by disabling a vehicle's emission controls, causing air pollution. As a result of EPA enforcement, some of the largest manufacturers of defeat devices have agreed to pay penalties and stop the sale of defeat devices.

Tampering. The CAA prohibits anyone from tampering with an emission control device on a motor vehicle by removing it or making it inoperable prior to or after the sale or delivery to the buyer. A vehicle's emission control system is designed to limit emissions of harmful pollutants from vehicles or engines. EPA works with manufacturers to ensure that they design their components with tamper-proofing, addresses trade groups to educate mechanics about the importance of maintaining the emission control systems, and prosecutes cases where significant or imminent harm is occurring.
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/air-enforcement

Perhaps the accuracy of the "...and thus legal" statement will help in evaluating the veracity of the rest of these guys' claims.

flman

Here's a European report card about the cities that have (and haven't) implemented LEZs (Low Emission Zones): http://sootfreecities.eu/measure/low-emission-zone

No, they're not GPS-adjusted pollution controls, merely restrictions on which vehicles can go where.

--dick
I always thought that is how it should be done here as well, sell vehicle with emissions that fit the zone you are in. Not to fit one city and state, LA.

flman

GDE, I was wondering do you have anything in the works for the Transit diesel, or is that another secure ECU?

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
GDE, I was wondering do you have anything in the works for the Transit diesel, or is that another secure ECU?
No plans to calibrate Ford vehicles in the aftermarket. They were the only OEM to pay their bills during the 2008 downturn when we worked for the OEMs. We still keep in contact with the engineering staff there and do not want to burn future bridges. GM and Chrysler are a different story as they walked away from their obligations when bankruptcy was declared.

Scorpion

GDE I'm sure you have had this question asked a million times but I reserve the right being a newbe lol... BlueTech tuning in your future plans, specifically my 2012 ???

apple guy

my experience with gde has been wonderful. did the tune to my 07 dodge sprinter and it felt like it turned it into a ferrari. so zippy, it's great! i live in muskegon, mi so i rolled down in person for a day trip 11-17 and they were amazing. i decided at the time not to get the tool and just let them do it and drive off to save some money, and was hoping to come back and get the tool in case some dealer takes away what they sold me. i called a couple of days ago to see if i could come and pay the difference to get the tool and they cheerfully offered to do the flash again from scratch and then send me away with the tool so i would have it. i would say that this was one of the best upgrade investments i have done to my sprinter since buying it. they are really nice people who have done a great service to this community.

rimjaine

rimjaine
my experience with gde has been wonderful. did the tune to my 07 dodge sprinter and it felt like it turned it into a ferrari. so zippy, it's great! i live in muskegon, mi so i rolled down in person for a day trip 11-17 and they were amazing. i decided at the time not to get the tool and just let them do it and drive off to save some money, and was hoping to come back and get the tool in case some dealer takes away what they sold me. i called a couple of days ago to see if i could come and pay the difference to get the tool and they cheerfully offered to do the flash again from scratch and then send me away with the tool so i would have it. i would say that this was one of the best upgrade investments i have done to my sprinter since buying it. they are really nice people who have done a great service to this community.
My sentiments exactly, I purchased the GDE Tune for my 2005 T1N 2.7 turbo diesel, it has more power, runs smoother, and according to an individual standing next to my RV with the diesel engine running for about 7 minutes made the statement that my little diesel sure burns nice and clean, and this was in California. My little 2.7 used to downshift when driving east on I 10 starting at western border of Florida, it now makes no downshifts on any of the 6 or 7 grades whereas without the tune it used to downshift on all of them, and it's with the cruise control engaged.
I'm really satisfied with the GDE Tune and would buy it again.
Later, rimjaine.

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

Another satisified customer.
Installed the tune on my '02 2.7 today. My friend is a Microsoft guy and it went really smoothly. The instructions matched the screen shots perfectly. He is an online editor and was impressed.

A quick spin after install and the power increase is there if you want it but the elimination of the EGR and the worry about that failure are gone now. I couldn't be happier.

Thank you Green Diesel.
And a special thanks to the Support Team!!
They were there when needed to answer questions and provide reassurance.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

cebu97

Just installed the GDE Tune on my 2006 Pleasure Way.

Researched this tune a lot and it is a proven product........am very pleased with initial results.

Have to disagree about the install......my instructions did not always match real time options and some options presented contained all GDE Tunes/Vehicles. GDE needs redo its automated install script .....its primitive.

Craig----Cebu97

sajohnson

'09 View/08 3500 chassis
We got the GDE tune in 2014 and have been very happy with it.

We were going to Michigan anyway so we stopped by Keith's shop. It was a good experience.

I like smiller's idea of having emissions controls based upon GPS location. IDK how much the tune increases NOx. Keith said about 1% of the CO2 decrease which sounds like a good trade-off but I have no idea how much of a concern NOx is compared to CO2.

Foe example, methane is said to be a much more potent GHG than CO2. I understand methane does not = NOx, just pointing out that there are different strengths and effects from various gases.

So it may be that even though the NOx increase is only 1% of the CO2 decrease, that amount is significant. I don't know, just saying it's possible.

To the extent that the NOx increase is an issue in some urban areas, it would be nice to have the emissions system alter its operation based on location.

In fact, that's such a good idea I patented it. Yep, I'm gonna be filthy rich. Sorry smiller. Maybe I'll cut you in for a percentage. :smilewink:

flman

Now you have 2 promotional threads to keep GDE at the top of the latest posts. How much is he paying you?
Not a promotion if you passed kindergarten (which apparently you didn't) and can read the title. Only GDE associates and affiliates (aka trolls) will read much past the headline.
Another satisified customer.
Installed the tune on my '02 2.7 today. My friend is a Microsoft guy and it went really smoothly. The instructions matched the screen shots perfectly. He is an online editor and was impressed.

A quick spin after install and the power increase is there if you want it but the elimination of the EGR and the worry about that failure are gone now. I couldn't be happier.

Thank you Green Diesel.
And a special thanks to the Support Team!!
They were there when needed to answer questions and provide reassurance.

bill in tomahawk
Just installed the GDE Tune on my 2006 Pleasure Way.

Researched this tune a lot and it is a proven product........am very pleased with initial results.

Have to disagree about the install......my instructions did not always match real time options and some options presented contained all GDE Tunes/Vehicles. GDE needs redo its automated install script .....its primitive.

Craig----Cebu97

Like I said a couple of years ago, Ecowhale did a great job promoting the tunes. :thumbup:

Top Bottom