What is a reasonable price to pay for 2006?

Npoli

Hi I am looking at a 2006 airstream interstate with 62k miles? Is there any issues particular to that year that I should be aware of?

Tank you
Nickki

sebtown

Many Interstates of this period have plumbing issues where the drain and vent attach to the grey water tank. Not impossible to fix but a fairly common occurance. The other issue is with the turbo reasonator. Many threads on replacing with an aluminum resonator eliminator. Other than those two issues the T1N is really reliable and free from all the add ons like DEF and all the now required smog systems. If you find one, even at the high NADA value, you are still doing ok!

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
The aluminum resonator eliminator is about $100. A new, correct resonator with the leak prone seams sealed is about $30 on Amazon. I have installed about a dozen of the proper resonators on T1Ns and have had no failures/leaks as of yet.
Sorry I cant comment on a reasonable price for the Sprinter you are considering.

nvestysly

Looking for
Npoli,

Did you buy the van? My wife and I are looking for an Interstate so I'm trying to learn as much as possible about these RVs so we can be well prepared when we see what we want.

I've looked at NADA for 2006 and for 2013 (we think we want the later style) as well as other years too. I think NADA overestimates the value of these vehicles. I frequently see Interstates for sale at lower prices than what NADA indicates. I also see them listed for higher prices so maybe NADA is capturing the average. However, there are enough of them listed for lower than NADA prices that I believe NADA is not a 100% indicator of what's a good value. I find it very confusing.

On the other hand, my wife and I recently sold a 1998 Class B Airstream 190 and we were able to obtain a dramatically higher price than NADA indicated. Similarly, NADA doesn't reflect the value of our 29' Airstream trailer - there are plenty of trailers like ours that sell for nearly double the value NADA lists on their guide.

In the end I think it comes around to it's worth what somebody is willing to pay. If the van is in good condition, it's local (so you can see it in person) and you and seller are able to communicate to understand any issues those are all good things. That van is worth more than a similar van that's three states away or even all the way across the country.

weissbrewer

I have a 2006 platinum edition for sale with 43k miles. Upgraded batteries (2) and stereo and am asking 44k for it. NADA was 45k last i looked. Super clean and well cared for 2 owner vehicle thats been garaged. Does this seem overpriced?

WillieJ

2013 3500 DRW, Airstream
NADA is reflective of past sales that have occurred at dealers. Many banks and credit unions use that value to determine what they will loan. I would expect private sale prices to be somewhat less than dealer sale prices. If you are actively looking, I suggest that you subscribe to NADA RV. You can do it for 30 days for free. Then you will see tha average wholesale/trade in prices that dealers pay as well as average retail.

I just purchased a 2013 Interstate on a 2013 Sprinter for 13k less than the NADA retail price from a non-Airstream dealer. I had a similar price offer for a 2013 AI on a 2012 Sprinter from an Airstream dealer. That was in a color I found less desirable (black) and the unit had 14k more miles on it. I travelled 1200 miles for the silver unit I wanted.

You have to be willing to negotiate and to travel to get the best deal. I had been looking for months, following pricing on rvt.com and RV Trader, as well as Craigslist ads. When I was ready to purchase, I knew what a good price was. The value of knowing the the NADA trade in price with a private seller, is that you have some idea what the seller could get from a dealer, and if you are buying from a dealer, it gives you an idea what the dealer might have into the coach.

marshroger@hotmail.com

2006,2500,118, Passenger
The aluminum resonator eliminator is about $100. A new, correct resonator with the leak prone seams sealed is about $30 on Amazon. I have installed about a dozen of the proper resonators on T1Ns and have had no failures/leaks as of yet.
Sorry I cant comment on a reasonable price for the Sprinter you are considering.
I bought and installed the aluminum device. Should I be considering the other (Dorman), or aam I okay?

tinman

I bought and installed the aluminum device. Should I be considering the other (Dorman), or aam I okay?
You're OK. At the time the aluminum billet piece was developed, there was no alternative to the failure-prone OEM part. Now, with the Dorman, there is, but many of us have the aluminum part and are happy. Might be a bit noisier than the resonator, but it's a lifetime part.

kjg912

2006 T1N 2500
In addition to the Turbo Resonator fix or eliminator option, I would also run a ground cable from the negative post to the frame, consider a tune that turns off the EGR valve, replace all filters and fluids, and also replace the stock radio and speakers. Also make sure the brakes and shocks are good to go. I would also replace the cabin lights with LED's and don't forget to service the generator.

Top Bottom