Koni Shocks

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Got a reply from Koni, and supposedly the 3500 rear shocks (82-2440) are an inch longer (fully extended) than the 2500's. :hmmm:

amauri

Yes that is what I noticed too.
Meaning that the rear Koni for the 2500 is 2" shorter than the original 2500 shock but the Koni for the 3500 is 1" shorter than the origonal 2500 shock.

I also measured the Koni rear for the 3500 and it is one inch shorter than my 2500 rear shock.
The Bilstien rear is also one inch shorter.

amauri

Found my notes from last week when I measured the rear shocks:

origonal is 547mm extended and 350mm colapsed
Koni p/n 82-2434 for 2500 = 497mm/323mm
Koni p/n 82-2440 for 3500 = 522mm/348mm

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Front shocks should be okay for the raised T1N's. Only the rears are the concern being that they were made for the lowered (~30mm) earlier T1N's and were not changed for the newer taller ones.

TimJuhl

On our recent 5500 mile tour of the SW we noted that the ride in the front seat was OK but if the road was anything but smooth the ride in the back could be brutal making any attempt to try to nap in the bed very difficult. My 158" 3500 is lightly loaded while traveling so the question I have for those of you with Koni's is do you think changing the rear shocks would smooth the ride in the rear at all?

Tim

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Tim...it would certainly smooth out the rocking side-to-side motion, but I can only say for sure if you were going at an angle through speed bumps and ramps (How does it feel going through them around 3 mph?). Not sure about the roads you're traveling in.

One thing I've found that works is to drive faster. :smirk: It actually smooths out the ride.

TimJuhl

Thanks Seek! The side to side motion isn't a big issue, it's the up and down. For example, some highways have seams between the sections that are filled with tar - running over them creates a rear up and down motion that can be irritating. You feel any road irregularities. Perhaps it is just too light in the rear end...

Tim

rlent

I assume since you have a cargo van that it's single leaf rear springs - you might want to consider installing the dual springs off a passenger van - the reason why they came so equipped was to improve ride comfort.

dbeyer

My 158" 3500 is lightly loaded while traveling so the question I have for those of you with Koni's is do you think changing the rear shocks would smooth the ride in the rear at all?

Tim
NO!
I have a cargo 118" converted to mobile office with a light load, switching to Koni's did nothing to help the ride. Switching to leaf springs from a 118" passenger van helped.

David

Top Bottom