Orton DIY - Misc.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Mostly 1/2" cherry plywood with 1/4" solid cherry edging. Some solid cherry between drawers and above swing out door. Top is 1" solid maple. (Had a piece in barn). No problems at all. Has a swing down table out the sliding door at correct outside height and a swing up table on front that swings up to use with passenger swival seat for computer use and eating. Swing up table also slides over 6" toward van center to line up with the seat.

I am on my way to NW Sprinterfest so you will have to wait for finish details. Cabinets were stained and I think lacured (sp). My niebour (sp) did most of the woodworking.

Next conversion will use 80/20 and have some revisions. Will post a PDF drawing of new one when I return home next week. Sink cabinet has worked well so next one will be very similiar but constructed a bit differently.

Last edited:
Tried using nutserts but had difficulty installing because hole size is critical and the manual insertion tool was difficult to use on overhead holes. Hard to turn two wrenches and hold insert in the hole at the same time. Looked for a better alternate and found Penn Engineering 1/4" Atlas prebulbed inserts part # AES25P280PBPB-ZYR. They are much easier to install. I used a manual insert tool from McMaster-Carr part # 96349A305 for $29.16. Had to change the bolt to a grade 8 1/4-20NC x 2 1/2" because Penn insert is longer than a nutsert.

Cant find tool with long enough 1/4-20 bolt required for the Atlas prebulbed insert. Since I will need to replace the bolt, will a socket cap allen bolt work instead of a hex head to replace the original? As you stated, that should make insert installation easier.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I just went to the local hardware store for the longer hex head bolt. Socket head cap screw might work if you can get enough force to start the deformation of the nut. Try it. A longer hex head wrench would be easier.

Didnt look close enough at the design of the McMaster Carr tool, see now that bolt will just back out. Too easy to click before thinking.

Doug M.

Tried using nutserts but had difficulty installing because hole size is critical and the manual insertion tool was difficult to use on overhead holes. Hard to turn two wrenches and hold insert in the hole at the same time. Looked for a better alternate and found Penn Engineering 1/4" Atlas prebulbed inserts part # AES25P280PBPB-ZYR. They are much easier to install. I used a manual insert tool from McMaster-Carr part # 96349A305 for $29.16. Had to change the bolt to a grade 8 1/4-20NC x 2 1/2" because Penn insert is longer than a nutsert.

Cant find tool with long enough 1/4-20 bolt required for the Atlas prebulbed insert. Since I will need to replace the bolt, will a socket cap allen bolt work instead of a hex head to replace the original? As you stated, that should make insert installation easier.
After installing approximately 16 riv nuts 5/16" I've found that the key is to drill the riv nut hole just large enough that I have to tap the riv nut in lightly with a hammer. Then using the manual two wrenches works fine no matter what position I am in.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Had to revise the paper towel holder. Previous design had roll vertical. It would unroll in a big pile under holder. Made it horizontal and it still unrolled. Had to add a short piece of wire cord stiffed into 80/20 slot and down on top of roll.

Attachments

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Used a two burner Coleman 10,000 btu/burner "Fold&Go" stove but on several occasions had a problem getting enough heat to boil water. Replaced it with a Camp Chef 17,000 btu/burner " Ranger 2" stove. Solved problem! Stove is larger but has very robust design. Will have a storage slot under sink for stove on next conversion. Nice stove. Did add rubber crutch ends to feet to prevent feet from scratching woodwork. Stove model # is BS40C

Attachments

Last edited:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Reminders of things to do before driving off. Black strap reminds me to close Maxxair. Red strap reminds me to unplug from shore power.
Your steering reminder would be good for me to watch out for overhead structures while backing up. My little oopsie at the Sprinterfest got quotes ranging from $300 to $1800, ended up paying $200, honest guy lower the price because he did not need to paint the upper rear door (there was no paint damage) just the roof edge. The $1800 quote included remounting rear windows, painting both doors, replacing emblems, no engine repair which was good …. perhaps he did not get my point that I am going to pay not an insurance company.

George.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Your steering reminder would be good for me to watch out for overhead structures while backing up. My little oopsie at the Sprinterfest got quotes ranging from $300 to $1800, ended up paying $200, honest guy lower the price because he did not need to paint the upper rear door (there was no paint damage) just the roof edge. The $1800 quote included remounting rear windows, painting both doors, replacing emblems, no engine repair which was good …. perhaps he did not get my point that I am going to pay not an insurance company.

George.
I did not mention to you that on the way from your house to Sprinterfest my 5 gallons keg of shower water fell over. Could not stop because I was following you and did not know the way. A bit disconcerting to drive listening to gurgle-gurgle as the water poured into van. Keg fell so most of the water dumped into the sliding door step which has drain holes. The day before I had proudly shown someone what a neat idea it was. Did not replace the bungy cord tie down.

chromisdesigns

Used a two burner Coleman 10,000 btu/burner "Fold&Go" stove but on several occasions had a problem getting enough heat to boil water. Replaced it with a Sierra Chef 17,000 btu/burner " Ranger II" stove. Solved problem! Stove is larger but has very robust design. Will have a storage slot under sink for stove on next conversion. Nice stove. Did add rubber crutch ends to feet to prevent feet from scratching woodwork.
GD --

What size is that propane cylinder for your stove? Unless it's in a sealed vented compartment your insurance company might not like it installed that way.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
GD --

What size is that propane cylinder for your stove? Unless it's in a sealed vented compartment your insurance company might not like it installed that way.
It is an aluminum 6 lb/1.4 gallon tank from West Marine. When table is closed, it seals the compartment. There is a drain at the bottom that goes down and out the wall of the sliding door step. There is a 1/2" tube that comes from other side of van in floor opening to the top of the enclosure. Probably not perfectly sealed but close.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The small plastic storage compartment under the Sound 5 radio was of little value. Removed plastic box and built an aluminum and wood replacement. New storage is 2" H x 6 1/4" W x 6 3/4" D. Much more useful.

Attachments

Neil2

Neil2
My structures are fabricated out of 80/20. I needed a place to hang clothes so added a handle under the overhead cabinet behind the wider refrigerator cabinet. I also added a clip on the vertical 80/20 behind the clothes so a snap end strap from REI can hold clothes tight against the cabinet. The medium handle is 80/20 part # 2061.
I didn't realize 80/20 had a clean look for cabinets. Nice!

Neil2

Neil2
Electric reel. Bought 18' 14/3 Retactable Reel from APC Group Model # AL-181314-M Mounted it under van in left rear corner. Punched hole through floor to bring cord into van. I can feel under van for the plug which is hooked to a metal strap with a twisted rubber ring. Do not have to get on knees to unhook. I did buy a bright red velcro strap from REI which I put on the steering wheel every time I plug in.
Your posts here are great! Reminds me of the VW community (parts/pics/sources). I have thought about doing the same on my rig. thx!

Neil2

Neil2
Since I did not want any exterior indication that my van is an RV, my fresh water tank is filled by opening the sliding door to access the fill opening. I needed a hose end with a control valve. Being old I remembered the old valves used at gas stations to fill the radiator. Bought it from Benford Fueling.
I got around this issue by installing a locking metal fuel door near my driver's side wheel well. :bounce: Blew a hole through to the cabinet inside. I've had Oregon station attendants ask for my fuel door key. hehehe :thumbup:

Top Bottom