Sprinter sleeper, bed help building it or recommend somebody.

shmekeru

Here is my issue. I have a Freightliner Sprinter 2500 series cargo van 158" which I use it for expediting services. The Sprinter has a metal separator between cabin and cargo. I was wondering if is there any way I can build a sleeper or somehow find somewhere some type of sleeper/bunk bed:rad: that I can fold it and put it away when not in use. Any type of ideas, recommendations, pictures or help will be greatly appreciated.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Do a search in the Sprinter conversions forum. You will find many threads with pictures inside showing homemade to aftermarket conversions.

shmekeru

Last edited:
If you are by yourself, an inflatable mattress, twin size, can be blown up in a few min, sleeps well, deflate and stow. Very flexible system, I use a full size for the wife and I, stows under the seat, integral inflator, works great!

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
You have a few design options:

1. Make your bulkhead moveable on a rail system and attach hinged drop down bunk(s) to the cab side. Good but not useable when fully loaded, fairly involved to fabricate.

2. Keep your existing bulkhead and cut a narrow slot out of the top and make a platform into the load space. You sleep partly in the cab, partly in the load space but not much headroom. Easy to do, not much headroom but lots of legroom.

3. Keep your existing bulkhead and make the top third or so hinge ninety degrees backwards into the load space with a collapsible fabric hood a bit like a pram's to help keep the heat in. You would then sleep on the platform. Easy to do, legroom possibly an issue?

4. Abandon ideas involving modification of the bulkhead and have a longer bed with on cantilever folding arms in the load space that stores against the roof. Good for legroom but means sleeping in the back, you might not like to do that for various reasons.

5. I my T1Ncan (which had a bulkhead like yours does) I cut a sheet of ply to fit into the front seat squabs. It made a kind of floating platform on which to sleep in the cab. I stored it in a piece of U channel in the back so it didn't rob load space. There was a bit of a knack to bedding down but I found it to be simple and cheap and it barely detracted from the carrying capacity at all.

Interpretations of all these ideas exist in Europe. In my NCV3 I went a different way and permanently installed a bulkhead further back that has a four way bench seat built in, so it's either extra seats or a bed depending on what's needed (see pic). Occasionally I don't have enough load space but I bought a trailer to address that. There's always a time when you can't fit everything in, however cab space is regularly useful to me.

I tried the chunky profile inflatable mattresses and found them pretty poor. You can get some decent low profile roll up ones though, Thermarest are good and have a lifetime guarantee - I've used it three times in the last ten years or so! Packs down nice and small when not in use too.

Your main criteria will be determining what compromise you are willing to make in terms of load space versus cab space. Once you know that it will more or less dictate how you can proceed.

Here's a link which might give you some inspiration!

Attachments

Last edited:

shmekeru

You have a few design options:

1. Make your bulkhead moveable on a rail system and attach hinged drop down bunk(s) to the cab side. Good but not useable when fully loaded, fairly involved to fabricate.

2. Keep your existing bulkhead and cut a narrow slot out of the top and make a platform into the load space. You sleep partly in the cab, partly in the load space but not much headroom. Easy to do, not much headroom but lots of legroom.

3. Keep your existing bulkhead and make the top third or so hinge ninety degrees backwards into the load space with a collapsible fabric hood a bit like a pram's to help keep the heat in. You would then sleep on the platform. Easy to do, legroom possibly an issue?

4. Abandon ideas involving modification of the bulkhead and have a longer bed with on cantilever folding arms in the load space that stores against the roof. Good for legroom but means sleeping in the back, you might not like to do that for various reasons.

5. I my T1Ncan (which had a bulkhead like yours does) I cut a sheet of ply to fit into the front seat squabs. It made a kind of floating platform on which to sleep in the cab. I stored it in a piece of U channel in the back so it didn't rob load space. There was a bit of a knack to bedding down but I found it to be simple and cheap and it barely detracted from the carrying capacity at all.

Interpretations of all these ideas exist in Europe. In my NCV3 I went a different way and permanently installed a bulkhead further back that has a four way bench seat built in, so it's either extra seats or a bed depending on what's needed (see pic). Occasionally I don't have enough load space but I bought a trailer to address that. There's always a time when you can't fit everything in, however cab space is regularly useful to me.

I tried the chunky profile inflatable mattresses and found them pretty poor. You can get some decent low profile roll up ones though, Thermarest are good and have a lifetime guarantee - I've used it three times in the last ten years or so! Packs down nice and small when not in use too.

Your main criteria will be determining what compromise you are willing to make in terms of load space versus cab space. Once you know that it will more or less dictate how you can proceed.

Here's a link which might give you some inspiration!
Great post mean_in_green. Now I found what type of sleeper I want. The Q is that I have no idea how to build one and I am here in the US. These pictures are from a company that does Sprinter conversions in Europe. I could really use some help if anybody knows where I can get this type of conversion here in U.S.

Thanks again.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
No problem. I don't remember anyone posting about a US based manufacturer for that. I'm pretty sure you're either going to have to fab it yourself or get someone to do for you.

d_bertko

Which site? I would like to see that hammock with two stretcher bars.
i'm still waiting to hear from the fella that ordered the cargo net for his opinion. Certainly adding your own stretcher bars would be one of the simplest DIY tasks.

Dan

Top Bottom