Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 06-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #641
99sport

Default Re: Overland Build

Midwestdirfer, do you have a block diagram or schematic of your hydronic heating circuit (ie the system that includes the engine coolant side of the cabin (potable) water heater, the diesel fired heater, and its connections to the van's cooling system)? Is there a pump in your second cooling loop to the isotemp (perhaps the diesel fired heater has one built in)?

I plan to use an isotemp water heater, primarily heated from the vehicle's cooling system, and am trying to decide where / how to tap in. I don't plan to add an espar water heater (primarily due to cost / complexity reasons), but to only use what is on the vehicle now. Interestingly, the Dodge service manual says all Sprinters with a diesel engine have a diesel fired "cabin heater" that heats the coolant when needed, but I thought this was an option. I never noticed a second exhaust pipe for the cabin heater under my van as shown in the service manual, but I will need to go take a closer look. If I do have one, I would certainly want to tap in after that heater.

As I will have no solar or propane (I plan on driving a lot so all power comes from a 200 amp alternator, or if desperate, shore power), the espar water heater is pretty compelling from an efficiency standpoint - it's obviously a lot more efficient to burn diesel to heat the cabin water than to burn diesel to turn an alternator that feeds an inverter that then heats the isotep, but if driving frequently even better efficiency is had from using the engine waste heat.
99sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #642
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,102 Times in 3,823 Posts

There is a diagram buried somewhere in this thread.

I am using the pump thats part of the D5 kit. I am considering reworking my system. Getting rid of the bypass valve, and using a "H" shaped hydraulic separator. That would require two pumps to run for moving heat between the isotemp/D5 and the engine loops. If I have time I will sketch something up.

If you are just using an isotemp style water heater with coolant loop, connecting it is easy enough. Just copy what the OEM does for the rear heater. Alternatively, you can route the heater core return through the isotemp.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #643
Cwhite87

Midwestdrifter,

Im showing up late to this party but i would like to say thank you to you and your wife for the detailed and evolving build you've accomplished with your sprinter. I do believe people as talented as your self cause a ripple effect for the less confident DIY starters in this group. By the time they have finished this thread. There eyes are wide open and really to take on the project. So thank you again for that.

I was wanting to ask you how is the development of the shower coming along. I my self to save real estate since i will be hauling a track bike have decided to scrap the closed off shower/Cassette bathroom design. i think a inset floor pan with a false floor cover on top would make a great idea. I got excited when you posted that pan with the wrap around curtain in front of the galley as i thought you were headed in that direction sooner then later.

I wanted to ask to save weight whats your opinion on the John guest, seatech push connect style hardware.
https://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/
Old 07-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #644
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,102 Times in 3,823 Posts

Your welcome, good know we are still helping people out!

I basically have the rough design in my head. I need to send out a quote to a local fab shop for a stainless in-set pan.

The curtain is going to be sewn from thin nylon. It will have a square top with 4 loop hangers. Each edge will take a short piece of tent pole fiberglass in a pocket. The bottom will have 4 snaps, or hook+eyelets on the pan. The pan will only be about 1" deep, which is the depth of my floor+insulation. Size will be 2" square. The removed floor cutout will be used as a filler.

Should only take a couple minutes to setup.

1: pull up filler/cover for the pan and remove drain plug
2: hang curtain from top, and snap to pan
3: connect shower hose (likely to the galley face with disconnect)
4: shower (profit?!?)

The push to connect fittings seem okay. I know the earthcruiser uses them on their fuso builds. They need to be well supported to prevent vibration damage/chafing.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #645
MsNomer

MWD, you might reconsider the need for tent poles. I used one only because two of my hooks weren’t in the right places. If you use a coated fabric which doesn’t ravel, avoid hems wherever possible because they will be the last to dry. My top and bottom edges are selvedge.

MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote