Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Canada

Old 06-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #41
Trail Talk

Default Re: Stoked for incoming Travois Expedition

The addition of side flares was a running change to the specs which was a pleasant surprise as you don't often see them on standard roof models. In fact, I combed through Google Images but couldn't find another example. Sideways sleeping will give us more interior space, and that's a good thing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coming together 012.jpg (114.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg coming together 014.jpg (105.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg coming together 015.jpg (80.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg coming together 011.jpg (84.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg coming together 010.jpg (78.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #42
Trail Talk

Four more sleeps until we take delivery! Flying out tomorrow am and will enjoy our anniversary celebrations at the Chateau Laurier before Daniel from Travois picks us up Monday morning. We are thrilled to have Webasto's diesel-burning Evo 6 water heater/furnace unit and their X100 cooktop.

Following this on Tuesday we are going to connect with the great people at Cornwall Freightliner for a familiarization session on the Sprinter's mechanicals and systems. Then begins the long drive home.

Aside from visiting a few relatives along the way, one stop I'm insisting on is at Rouleau, Saskatchewan. Anyone else a fan?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coming together 026.jpg (125.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg coming together 029.jpg (94.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpeg coming together 031.jpeg (46.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpeg coming together 032.jpeg (53.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-26-2019, 12:42 AM   #43
Trail Talk

Sorry for the delay in reporting back to those who are following our story, but as of now we don’t have our van yet. Received an email at the airport between flights to Ottawa that they wouldn’t be able to meet our delivery date, mostly due to their evolving specs and the extra time required to sort the changes. Too late to turn back so we proceeded onwards and took advantage of a Travois loaner to have a mini holiday in Ontario, visiting a few relatives along the way. It appears we should have delivery in a couple of days now, so we’ll wait it out in a hotel.

Although there was initial disappointment at the delay, the improvements done by Travois to the Conestoga pop-top package seem beneficial for the long run. Plus the week spent driving and camping in their bright red pop-top 4x4 Sprinter has been a valuable learning experience. Fingers crossed that all goes well and we get a well-sorted van in a couple of days. Our first official trip will follow to Alaska and Yukon shortly after our return home.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:27 AM   #44
Onefin

Disappointing, but based on my SMB experiences: I’d prefer an honest delay in completion versus a rushed attempt that causes problems long run.

Hoping they complete it and deliver it in top condition.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onefin For This Useful Post:
MERLEANDSARAH (06-26-2019), Trail Talk (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #45
Trail Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefin View Post
Disappointing, but based on my SMB experiences: I’d prefer an honest delay in completion versus a rushed attempt that causes problems long run.
That is our thoughts as well. We continue to get good vibes from the people at Travois and Hovey Fabrications in Gloucester where the work is being done. Makes no sense to plan this project for over a year then get impatient for the most important conversion process.
Onefin (06-26-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 AM   #46
CanuckNewbie

Trail Talk,

What are your initial impression of your new vans ? Some pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks!
CanuckNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #47
Trail Talk

Default Our Travois dream has come to an end :-(

Our Travois dream has come to an end and we are really gutted. Having driven our Conestoga Sprinter conversion home to Alberta we are now arranging for its return to Travois. With a substantial investment of time and money behind us we really wanted it to work out but there are just too many fit and finish problems to rectify this far from their facilities in Ontario.

It's not helpful to go over the issues on a public forum and I can only speak for our project, so I'm not implying that similar issues are present in other Travois units. We continue to be fans of their lightweight design concepts, and the Sprinter 4x4 is an awesome platform, but execution was the culprit here.

I won’t presume to speak for Travois except to say we have been assured they have instituted significant changes to supervision on the production line and their pre-delivery testing process so future customers won’t share our experience.

Also to their credit, Travois acted quickly and without hassle or recriminations once the scope of deficiencies was realized. It was first suggested we could use the vehicle for the summer and return it for a rebuild over the winter, but we weren't comfortable with that proposal, so a full refund was offered and accepted. We are just waiting for the arrangements now.

Meanwhile we are scrambling to adjust our travel plans for this summer. Does anyone have experience with rooftop tents?
Old 07-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #48
CanuckNewbie

Trail Talk,

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation; it must be very frustrating. Were the main issues with the rooftop or were there any issues with the other systems (electrical, water, EVO, etc) ?
I also heard that Travois had implemented a pre-delivery testing process to prevent unfortunate situations like yours from happening.
As a current Travois customer (Conestoga 2018 Sprinter 4x4 high roof), I'm certainly keen to hear more details if you feel confortable sharing them on this forum. Thank you and best of luck with your alternate travel plans for the summer.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #49
Trail Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckNewbie View Post
I also heard that Travois had implemented a pre-delivery testing process to prevent unfortunate situations like yours from happening.
Does this affect you or have you already taken delivery?
Old 07-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #50
CanuckNewbie

Trail Talk,

I still haven't taken delivery of my van yet but it shouldn't be very long now. So yes, I'm a little bit concerned at this time. If all the issues were related to the fact that you had a pop top, it would make me feel a little better. However, I suspect that there were more issues than just the pop top.