Michelin tyres in 235/85r16

maz

UK Nottm 2008 315cdi4x4 van
Hello , does anybody have any feedback for this size tyre , either the latitude cross or the agilis for the performance of the tyres.
Thank you Maz.

marc1

I have run this size on my previous 2016 high roof 4x4 in the Cooper Discoverer ST. I really like this size and will probably go back to it when my 255/85 /16 Cooper ST Maxxs ware out

tegan_ca

Build Planning
I've got the Hankook ATMs in this size, and they have been awesome. Any reason you are set on Michelins?
My van has been around the US, winter in N Montana to summer in Phoenix and used a fair bit in roadless/unmaintained roads around the country. I'd recommend taking a look at the Hankooks.

maz

Hi Tegan_ca,
I suppose I would go with the Michelins as a large portion of folks on here have given good feedback about those tyres, and your the first one that I know of to mention Hankook tyres, but I am always willing to listen and read about other folks experience.
cheers Maz.

flyag1

Hi Tegan_ca,
I suppose I would go with the Michelins as a large portion of folks on here have given good feedback about those tyres, and your the first one that I know of to mention Hankook tyres, but I am always willing to listen and read about other folks experience.
cheers Maz.
Well let me be the second one to honer Hankook. I had a set about 3 rigs ago, never an issue with the tires. Really hooked up in snow / ice and handled the rocks very well. Lots of off road on those tires and never a problem. Nice and round on the road with min noise. About 30K miles and they start looking used, well maybe well used. :)

So just this year I'm outfitting another Sprinter and mounted another set of Hankook's on my new rig. 2018 4x4

maz

Hello again, I am looking for a 90% road tyre and 10% off road.
Thanks Maz

tegan_ca

Build Planning
Maz,
What kind of off road? I ask because it matters, if you are taking fire roads or unmaintained tracks vs gravel/dirt county roads it matters. My split in miles is probably the same as yours, but when I go off track I go way off track. Unmaintained roads in N Montana in winter and tracks around the desert in S Cal/ AZ in summer made me go for a tire that travels well on pavement but has handled everything I have been able to throw at it. Almost had an lack of traction issue in Berdoo Canyon but was able to get through, the only time I've had any drama at all.
I drove on the Hankooks on fwy from S Cal to Fla, hit Boston, then back to S Cal for a loop of ~8500 miles last summer on them as well. A few side excursions in there ��

maz

Maz,
What kind of off road? I ask because it matters, if you are taking fire roads or unmaintained tracks vs gravel/dirt county roads it matters. My split in miles is probably the same as yours, but when I go off track I go way off track. Unmaintained roads in N Montana in winter and tracks around the desert in S Cal/ AZ in summer made me go for a tire that travels well on pavement but has handled everything I have been able to throw at it. Almost had an lack of traction issue in Berdoo Canyon but was able to get through, the only time I've had any drama at all.
I drove on the Hankooks on fwy from S Cal to Fla, hit Boston, then back to S Cal for a loop of ~8500 miles last summer on them as well. A few side excursions in there ��
Well as i live in UK and dont go to other countries , i would say that i mainly drive on roads that are tarmac 95% and then i also do some work on an estate that is a farm and has some dirt tracks that are muddy when wet with bits of grass .
Then there is the occasional field i have to cross which has long grass on it , which when dry is ok but not to easy when wet. [ok on flat but not ok on hills going up].
So that is the jist of my driving , on the farm they have a big tractor to help me out if i get stuck but that just means that i have to wait about which is not like i get stranded on my own.
Hope that give you some more insight, ohh yes the reason for going for 235/85r16 is to have a softer ride on the uk tarmac roads rather than the current 225/75 r16 that i have [more sidewall to flex and give a softer ride].
Cheers Maz.

OffroadHamster

I will also 3rd the Hankooks. Completely fabulous tire.

I would step over to a conservative AT tire for the treadwear warranties and confidence in that 5-10% of situations. The Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner is a pretty conservative tire for an AT tire and should give good service life and ride/noise comfort as well.

If you dont want to move over to an AT, the Michelins are a great bet and should last a long time and be quiet.

I have been running a set of Wranglers Silent Armor stock size for 8 years and no sidewall cracks. The tread has about 3/8" depth left. I bought these because kevlar is stronger than steel, runs cooler than steel and is quieter than steel belted tires, or so I was led to believe. Knowing I would drive to Baja sold me.

I will be going up to 245's with the next set and have been considering the Michelin Defenders or their AT's. I have several months to decide. The reason I am changing brands is strictly the longterm mileage. I have 30 to 35 thousand miles and doubt they would last to 50. The Michelins have a 60,000 mile warranty.

I don't know anything yet about the Hankooks. The quieter on the road the better.

Thanks Hamster. check your pm.

Today while having the rear brakes done at The Sprinter Pit Stop off Miramar Rd in San Diego the mechanic showed me the right side rear tire. Man was I lucky to make it there. The bead was separating close to rim and wrapped part way around the tire. I had them put my second spare on to get me home. The first spare had already been relegated unusable in Baja this past winter and I knew I was up for a new set, so I have been waiting for a new set of slightly larger 245's.

Anyone in the area that needs Sprinter help call them. Another shout out to Europarts SD for always having the needed parts in stock.

When I got back to my town, I stopped by Discount Tire hoping they could come up with the Michelin Defenders I was hoping for. Nope. They did check around and could not find any Defenders anywhere. The Agillis has already taken their place. Since I read about someone on this site was not too keen on them, I had them order the AT's that should be in tomorrow. Close enough. They have a 60,000 mile tire warranty.

I feel fortunate not to have been driving on that tire any longer and that I carried that second spare. Whew.

A not so funny thing about the rear brakes was that I never got a dash light warning before or after they started grinding metal on metal a few days ago. I am half deaf, but still once I saw the old parts and how far they were gone before they started making noise, I wonder what happened to the dash light brake warning.

Sorry to post about tires in the NCV section but I just put a set of Michelin AT2's on my 06 with my stock 16" alloy wheels. I did go up a size to the 245 75 16's and they look great.

The front clearance to the plastic on the wheel wells is not rubbing on full turns, but it is close.

My question to anyone that knows is: I thought the 245's would fit in the undercarriage carrier but the kid and even a manager at Discount Tire could not make it fit. Any ideas out there?

My second spare on the drivers side rear door had a cover with a MB insignia and the wrap around aluminum locking piece that no longer fits either. I need to find a larger locking cover that fits the 245 75 16. This cover fits the 225 75 16 just fine and is in great shape.

I am going back to the Sprinter Pit Stop in San Diego in the morning because those guys know their stuff and are masters of invention when needed. Maybe just a longer couple of bolts will do the trick.

I do not need an opinion on my choice to go to a size larger because, well, anyone here knows why I felt that had to be stated. Just looking for help on mounting the spare underneath. Thanks to mostly all here. haha

TinManKC

“12 Reyo
Sorry to post about tires in the NCV section but I just put a set of Michelin AT2's on my 06 with my stock 16" alloy wheels. I did go up a size to the 245 75 16's and they look great.

The front clearance to the plastic on the wheel wells is not rubbing on full turns, but it is close.

My question to anyone that knows is: I thought the 245's would fit in the undercarriage carrier but the kid and even a manager at Discount Tire could not make it fit. Any ideas out there?

My second spare on the drivers side rear door had a cover with a MB insignia and the wrap around aluminum locking piece that no longer fits either. I need to find a larger locking cover that fits the 245 75 16. This cover fits the 225 75 16 just fine and is in great shape.

I am going back to the Sprinter Pit Stop in San Diego in the morning because those guys know their stuff and are masters of invention when needed. Maybe just a longer couple of bolts will do the trick.

I do not need an opinion on my choice to go to a size larger because, well, anyone here knows why I felt that had to be stated. Just looking for help on mounting the spare underneath. Thanks to mostly all here. haha
My understanding is the carrier has 2 sets of mounting holes (axle side). If you mount the carrier in the lower set of holes, a larger tire is supposed to fit.

Top Bottom