Votes: 151 93.8%
  • No, I don't have it and don't care

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • No, I don't have it but wish I did

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I just got the van, didn't even know that it had low range until last night.
One of the cool things about the 4X4 being more of an AWD is that you do not have to have slippery conditions to use it. You can engage it and drive on dry roads with lots of traction.

All that to say...….You would be well served to play with both the 4X4 and the low range before you plan to need it. Getting it in and out can be a bit tricky.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
When I ordered my van in 2016 and low range was only a ~$50 option, it was hard to pass it even if I only used it once. Not expecting to do any rock crawling and haven't yet, but living in the Reno-Tahoe area I have used 4-low many times while driving in deeper snow and it feels like it is has helped tremendously for maintaining traction and keeping forward momentum in deeper snow. I have used it fine up to about 45 mph with a great ability to smoothly and quickly adjust speed to maintain traction during these steeper snow periods. Even used it to gently power thru about 3' of snow in the driveway to get into the garage after getting home from a trip. Glad to have it.

The first thing I noticed about my low range 4x4 is that it is not geared nearly as low as my Tacoma. I can crawl down a hill in the Tacoma in first, low range, and generally use 2nd. In the Sprinter, 1st low is about equivalent to Tacoma’s 3rd low. I gotta ride the brakes in some spots, which I do not like.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
The first thing I noticed about my low range 4x4 is that it is not geared nearly as low as my Tacoma. I can crawl down a hill in the Tacoma in first, low range, and generally use 2nd. In the Sprinter, 1st low is about equivalent to Tacoma’s 3rd low. I gotta ride the brakes in some spots, which I do not like.
If you have low range, you most likely have "Descent Control".
When descending in low range at low speed, set the cruise control. It will apply the brakes for you.

VanGoSki

If you have low range, you most likely have "Descent Control".
When descending in low range at low speed, set the cruise control. It will apply the brakes for you.
I think you're talking about option ZH4 - Downhill Speed Regulation. Not a standard item even with low range. Also, not available on vans with the Distronic (adaptive cruise control) feature, which is a shame.

mgladden2

This might be helpful for the discussion (from 2019/20 Equipment Book):

ZH4 Downhill speed regulation for 4x4
Compared to Sprinter 906: Carry Over

The code ZH4, Off-road operation, includes a Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR). DSR supports the driver with the Low Range transmission ratio when the vehicle is driving downhill, off-road, and on construction sites. DSR [also] maintains a preset speed on downhill gradients by applying the brakes as required. The speed can be set between about 2.5 mph (4 km/h) and 11 mph (18 km/h) using the brake and accel-erator pedals or the cruise control lever. When the vehicle is faster than 11 mph (18 km/h) off-road, DSR switches to standby mode. DSR remains activated but does not brake automatically. If the vehicle is slower than 11 mph (18 km/h), DSR sets the speed to the previously set speed. DSR switches off automatically when the speed is exceeding 28 mph (45 km/h). The Low Range transmission ratio is engaged, the indicator lamp in the instrument cluster lights up and the vehicle is stationary or not faster than 18 km/h.

1. Activates DSR and stores the current higher speed
2. Activates DSR and stores the current speed
3. Activates DSR and stores the current lower speed
4. Deactivates DSR

pvsprint

Whoa, I might sound like a noob...ha, I am...I'm deciding on a 2016 4X today that is three states away and the owner doesn't know if it has low (he's never used 4x) can someone tell me if the two buttons...to the right of the steering wheel means it has low? One looks like descent, the other looks like a normal AWD button. I've been in a few Sprinters but never thought to ask or look, I just thought they all must have low. Thanks for your help.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Whoa, I might sound like a noob...ha, I am...I'm deciding on a 2016 4X today that is three states away and the owner doesn't know if it has low (he's never used 4x) can someone tell me if the two buttons...to the right of the steering wheel means it has low? One looks like descent, the other looks like a normal AWD button. I've been in a few Sprinters but never thought to ask or look, I just thought they all must have low. Thanks for your help.
Ask the seller for the VIN then run it through this website to see what option codes the Sprinter was built with... https://www.datamb.com/

I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you specifically which option codes to look for.

Keith.

Moto Vita

That is the configuration on my 2016 3500 with low range.

pvsprint

Thank you @cheyenne. And @moto_vita

So it says this..."ENGAGEABLE ALL-WHEEL DRIVE WITH GEAR REDUCTION"...German for 4x with Low range I'm guessing lol?

pvsprint

Excellent, thank you. My case is officially closed...flying to Utah to pick it up, drive to Portland then back to SoCal.

So basically if you have Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR) you have Low Range = The DSR (little van going downhill button) activates low range, if you choose to activate the speed regulation portion you use the cruise control to do such.

altadoc

I have low range on my 2018; however, for the life of me I cannot get the DSR to work. I've tried multiple times when I am in LO to set a speed with the cruise control and have been unable.

I haven't had a problem getting into or out of 4wd; nor had a problem using cruise control in other situations. What am I doing incorrectly?

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
So basically if you have Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR) you have Low Range = The DSR (little van going downhill button) activates low range, if you choose to activate the speed regulation portion you use the cruise control to do such.
Ahhhh... nope, not the same.. limiting speed and gearing are 2 different things in the world of 4wd...

mk216v

Yup. 1.4/1 gear reduction, is memory serves.
I believe the t-case is 1.6:1 on the '15+ Sprinter 4x4's. Not great compared to a G-Wagen (2.16:1 IIRC) or Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4:1).

Now called X30 option; low & high range 4x4 package....$7800, and includes the ZG3 4x4 high range w/ low range t-case. And T75 door mounted assist handles for driver/pass, so that you can climb up into the ~4.5" taller "4x4"(ie AWD via 4-ETS) Sprinter.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I believe the t-case is 1.6:1 on the '15+ Sprinter 4x4's. Not great compared to a G-Wagen (2.16:1 IIRC) or Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4:1).

Now called X30 option; low & high range 4x4 package....$7800, and includes the ZG3 4x4 high range w/ low range t-case. And T75 door mounted assist handles for driver/pass, so that you can climb up into the ~4.5" taller "4x4"(ie AWD via 4-ETS) Sprinter.
I just checked...….1.42/1 for the transfer case ratio.

Top Bottom