Awning Fabric PVC Boat Floor Repair

Inflatable, plastic, kayak emergency repair.

I was once told by a local that if you boat long enough in the Florida Keys you will learn that there are basically 3 kinds of sailors.
* Those that have run aground.
* Given enough time in the Keys, those that will run aground.
* Those that lie and say they have never run aground.

In twenty years of vacations and boats around Marathon and other Keys I had run aground a few times. Always at slow(er) speed usually while exploring. There was no real consequence. This year we're in Key Largo and Blackwater Sound. Very honest as to depth and shoals. Shouldn't be a problem... Wrong! I managed to hit a mooring weight and tore about a 4 foot long non-continuous slice in the bottom. Fortunately by dumb luck it missed all the air chambers. We limped home with very wet feet and hauled the boat.

I went to my repair kit in the van. I had lots of Hypalon repair material and glue. Enough to do the job. Problem was that the Hypalon boats were home. I brought the larger PVC inflatable boat this year. :bash:

I did have HH-66 vinyl cement and some round patches. Not near enough patch material to make the repair. It was later in the day. West Marine and local stores had nothing.

There was a canvas shop across the street that has a free remnants bin outside. Awning material is PVC. I found some nice strips of re-inforced vinyl material. To keep the story short (I know, too late), the material and HH-66 glue worked great to repair the slices in the floor.

My method is to clean and sand for prep. (Select proper solvent. Many pros use Toluene aka Toluol perhaps MEK. Alcohol always works in a pinch. Don't sand into the fabric.) I then put a thin primer coat of HH-66 cement on both surfaces. After 1/2 hour dry time I apply another coat of HH-66 to both pieces, wait a bit, and put them together. Stitching down with a roller is best, but in a pinch the rounded end of a spoon will work to press everything together.

The HH-66 and vinyl material will work on most plastic repairs. With any luck an awning shop will have both the material and the HH-66 cement. HH-66 is a popular cement for awning repairs.

It was great for floor repair. We were back in the water the next morning.

A good commercial product is TEAR-AID®.
It is available in Type A and Type B. Type B is for vinyl.
https://www.tear-aid.com/

Tear-Aid Vinyl Repair Kit, Type A and B are available in a 3" x 60" roll. Cost is around 30 - 40 bucks for that size.

I always carry Tear-aid on the boat, but I didn't have enough to repair a 4 foot slice. I will soon be carrying the 5 foot roll size.

Another possibility is this.

https://www.amazon.com/Tarp-Repair-Kit-Vinyl-Cement/dp/B077GCZQV5

I hope that nobody ever needs this information.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:
Well done!

I also highly recommend Tear Aid, nothing out there comes close to comparing. Have used it on kitesurfing kites and their inflatable bladders and it surprisingly fixed some very badly damaged gear.

Best price I found on it in the past was at www.nrs.com

Top Bottom